Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

LWBs, PTS, AND Euro Delivery. One caveat...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 11:55 AM
Love2Apex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I just got an update from my SA and looks like Nov 20th or so will be the date for ED. It's not quite full out winter there yet in November, only a few spurts below freezing. What do you all think? A bit earlier than expected, although is it early enough to make it worth it?!

Yes, I have the SAME question regarding clear paint protection as well.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:51 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree it is a hit or miss time of year. My customer is heading out for a month starting Oct 1 and going into Italy. Hopefully, areas such as the Stelvio pass is still open as we make his way down into Italy for the bulk of his trip. Having a place at 1500m in Verbier, Switzerland I will agree that generally you will find open roads and passable roadways even during winter months during the day. I haven't spent time driving around Germany in those months so I can't say, but much like the NE USA most the time it is fine until it isn't.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:06 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtechnik
Ok, so I just got an update from my SA and looks like Nov 20th or so will be the date for ED. It's not quite full out winter there yet in November, only a few spurts below freezing. What do you all think? A bit earlier than expected, although is it early enough to make it worth it?!
Many years ago I did ED of an M3 from late September to early November, and was able to fit in a 33F day at the Nurburgring before returning the car to Munich after a late October snowstorm. But I was lucky. I would not start a ED trip in late November, especially a Porsche.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:28 AM
Love2Apex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after a lot of deliberation, we are arrived at a conclusion. It's simply not worth it to do ED after beginning of October due to all the points everyone has mentioned here, with the primary one being not being able to drive the amazing roads and ring of course. Might as well go there during the winter and rent a Cayenne or something

So, to make up for it, I am going to plan a trip during the beginning of September next year in time for Oktoberfest OR the end of June for the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Heck, maybe we'll do both! Then I can just rent an M3/M4 for about 100 euro a day and not have to worry about my brand new PTS GT car getting messed up in any way.

Also, just found out my order is about to lock, I got CDR+, although now need to get rid of the roof wart. Might do the base system, going to check it out today.

Thanks for all the input again!
Old 08-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Good plan. I went to the GFOS last year and really enjoyed it. It's an auto show, car museum, and vintage race all in one.

Having done the 'ring with my own manual transmission car (M3) and recently with an automatic rental (S5 - last minute trip so took the most sporting they had), the latter is far more enjoyable for a 'ring novice...less paranoia and less to concentrate on makes it easier to focus on where the track goes, your line, and the other lunatics around you.

Quick Reply: LWBs, PTS, AND Euro Delivery. One caveat...