Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Mike Levitas from TPC looks at the GT4

Grab some popcorn and relax!

https://www.pca.org/news/2015-08-11/...nical-analysis

Old 08-11-2015, 09:02 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

Damn, new lug bolts?! Guess I'll need a new set of wheel locks and can't reuse the one I had on my GTS. Wondering if it's just the long bolt version that's normally needed with 5mm spacers.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:09 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quite a few bespoke pieces on the GT4, it seems. Not quite as much a "parts car" as some are maintaining.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:14 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Definitely not a "parts bin special"!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:37 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Quite a few bespoke pieces on the GT4, it seems. Not quite as much a "parts car" as some are maintaining.
Originally Posted by PistolPete
Definitely not a "parts bin special"!
I never quite understood the characterization of the GT4 as merely a parts bin car as some have asserted. It obviously shares some pieces/aspects of the Cayman S/GTS and some aspects of the GT3, but also appears to be unique in several critical ways.

Pistol, thanks for posting the video!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:53 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Thanks for posting the video.

I'm one of those that called the GT4 a partial parts bin special. Let's not forget that the " heart " of the car comes from the Carrera S,assisted by the Porsche Cayman GTS transmission. The brakes come entirely from the GT3 and the hubs come off the Turbo.
There are parts specifically designed for the GT4. We've known this since AP presented the car. It's nice to see an in depth analysis and I've enjoyed the video.
The GT4 is indeed the product of the GT department and for the price,the fact that it comes with a manual transmission and that it's built to withstand track usage makes it the bargain of the century. A truly exciting machine that we'll enjoy for sure. I certainly have no problem if it's called a " parts bin special " because I have made my mind a long time ago and I'm fine with the " package ",
Old 08-11-2015, 10:25 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Originally Posted by neanicu
The GT4 is indeed the product of the GT department and for the price,the fact that it comes with a manual transmission and that it's built to withstand track usage makes it the bargain of the century. A truly exciting machine that we'll enjoy for sure. I certainly have no problem if it's called a " parts bin special " because I have made my mind a long time ago and I'm fine with the " package ",
Nice summary. No cars are truly bespoke anymore unless we're talking 918's or Koenigseggs.

You have a September build as well? October is going to be one long month for the both of us!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PistolPete

You have a September build as well? October is going to be one long month for the both of us!
I believe it will be here toward the end of October,but that's just a guess at this point.
I wish you a smooth October!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:42 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

I've never understood the folks who think calling the car a parts bin car is insulting. The parts bin they are pulling from is the 911 and GT3.

The unique suspension pieces on it are pretty interesting. While they said it would be hard to convert an S or GTS to the same I am sure that once someone outside of Porsche, like RSS, gets their hands on that stuff, it will be available for other cars. But I would be very interested to know the geometry changes. That stuff interests me more than something that is just beefed up.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:29 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I've never understood the folks who think calling the car a parts bin car is insulting. The parts bin they are pulling from is the 911 and GT3.
There is an implication with a parts bin special, that various components have been slapped together into a "FrankenCar" that is likely not well resolved.

I think with the GT4 the results speak for themselves - a reflection of a car designed with an outcome in mind, which just happens to make use of existing parts from the "bin".
Old 08-12-2015, 01:57 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great video
Old 08-12-2015, 10:39 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

The magic recipe for the guys converting Cayman's to race cars seems to have been to crib virtually the whole front clip from a GT3/Cup car, so I'm not surprised with what weissach did.

The front geometry looks like it might make it tricky to lower the car without adjustable thrust arms.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:45 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
There is an implication with a parts bin special, that various components have been slapped together into a "FrankenCar" that is likely not well resolved.
There's no implication. People make assumptions about what the term means based on their own biases. I've never used the term in a derogatory sense and I personally have always used the term in pretty clear context. Anyone who thinks Porsche, especially their GT department, would release a cobbled together car is just niave. That's not how Porsche does things.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:11 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GTgears
Anyone who thinks Porsche, especially their GT department, would release a cobbled together car is just niave. That's not how Porsche does things.
I concur.

I also have no problem with how people call it,because I have never guided my life according to what other people think. Let's not forget what makes this forum so good : a wealth of good information along personal feelings and misguided interpretation.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:37 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Great video, thanks for posting this. Makes me want the car even more and reinforces the thought that the car is a GT bargain.

Quick Reply: Mike Levitas from TPC looks at the GT4