Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Porsche, you got me! GT4 config..

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 12:10 AM
uhn2000
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Porsche, you got me! GT4 config..

Hope I keep this car because the configuration is killer and I know I would take a beating on resale with all these options Porsche you got me! Nonetheless I did it the way I would want it, its my 39th bday present and it needs to represent next to the FF . Anyhow give me your thoughts, its set for for spring 2016!

Your Porsche Code http://www.porsche-code.com/PGMZ1DU2
Attached Images   
Old 08-07-2015, 12:17 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Expect those silver belts to get dirty fast.

Haven't seen Sapphire painted trim in person, but it looks nice there. I have however seen Sapphire Blue GT3s with silver and platinum wheels side by side, and I definitely prefer silver.

You know the fuel filler cap is INSIDE the fuel door and the aluminum is just an aluminum look paint rather than an actual aluminum finish, correct? Kind of pointless IMHO.

Inner door sill guards in leather look incredible, but if you aren't very careful every single time (which will be even harder with those LWBs), you will scuff up that leather and fray that stitching fast, at which point it will probably look worse than the standard plastic would have, so plan to be careful or budget for replacements.

But if you are going to go with the inner door sills in leather, upgrade the outer door sills to illumination, which replaces most of the plastic with either aluminum or carbon fiber.

I would sooner get instrument cluster surround in leather than fusebox cover in leather because with the leather dash above and leather steering column below, it makes sense to me even if it's not very noticeable. The fusebox covers nobody will ever see, and there isn't leather down there anyway around it, just carpet.

What are you getting on your personalized floor mats?

Rear view mirror in leather I skipped because the overhead console is still plastic, so I didn't think it would look great. This option makes much more sense for Porsches available and optioned with non-black leather interiors.

The dashboard trim package in leather doesn't show this on the configurator, but the large trapezoidal speaker trim you normally get will be replaced by this tiny round grille with stitching around it that kind of looks like a poorly executed cupholder. That's the main reason I avoided it. That and I've read that the leather around the defroster shrinks prematurely. (UPDATE: Included pics in later post.)

Do you know where the door trim in Alcantara is? It's the tiny A-pillar triangle, the airbag panel and the part below it that is almost completely obscured when the door is closed, and the tiny wraparound end of the door that is completely obscured when the door is closed. Everyone I've seen post about this who has gotten it has said it was completely worthless and that they would not get it again.

SiriusXM will get you a roof wart if you care about that.

And wow, you're not kidding about the hit you'd take on resale -- $130K??? Even in Canadian, that's quite a chunk of change!

Last edited by jphughan; 08-07-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:19 AM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I went the lightly optioned route. And I confess I am not normally fond of painted interior parts.

However upon seeing these pics I am forced to rethink all of that. I think it looks fantastic. Painted interior used correctly looks great!

You may also one day hold the distinction of the most expensive GT4 optioned.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:29 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Pics of the dashboard trim in leather option I was referring to:

Non-GT4 981 with extended leather that initially tempted me:

Without extended leather:

With extended leather (note center speaker grille and stitching reflections in windshield):
Old 08-07-2015, 12:38 AM
uhn2000
Racer

Thanks for sharing, I saw these pics somewhere else - appreciate you adding them here. A buddy of mine has it for his 458 and I just love the option of the dashboard stitch. Gives you something extra to smile about when stuck in traffic and your cursing the day you got back into a 6MT By far my favourite options that I saw on a 911 were the inner door sill guards and the leather mirror (its very very cool!) Agreed there is about 4k of stuff I added that I could take out but for me its the little details that I notice and really appreciate.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:41 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by uhn2000
Thanks for sharing, I saw these pics somewhere else - appreciate you adding them here. A buddy of mine has it for his 458 and I just love the option of the dashboard stitch. Gives you something extra to smile about when stuck in traffic and your cursing the day you got back into a 6MT By far my favourite options that I saw on a 911 were the inner door sill guards and the leather mirror (its very very cool!) Agreed there is about 4k of stuff I added that I could take out but for me its the little details that I notice and really appreciate.
You get the dashboard stitching with the leather interior. The only part the extended dash option adds is the center speaker and the defroster trim.

Anyhow, since you're already going all out, like I said above, consider adding illuminated sills and instrument surround in leather. Enjoy!
Old 08-07-2015, 12:42 AM
uhn2000
Racer

Originally Posted by jphughan
Expect those silver belts to get dirty fast.

Haven't seen Sapphire painted trim in person, but it looks nice there. I have however seen Sapphire Blue GT3s with silver and platinum wheels side by side, and I definitely prefer silver.

You know the fuel filler cap is INSIDE the fuel door and the aluminum is just an aluminum look paint rather than an actual aluminum finish, correct? Kind of pointless IMHO.

Inner door sill guards in leather look incredible, but if you aren't very careful every single time (which will be even harder with those LWBs), you will scuff up that leather and fray that stitching fast, at which point it will probably look worse than the standard plastic would have, so plan to be careful or budget for replacements.

But if you are going to go with the inner door sills in leather, upgrade the outer door sills to illumination, which replaces most of the plastic with either aluminum or carbon fiber.

I would sooner get instrument cluster surround in leather than fusebox cover in leather because with the leather dash above and leather steering column below, it makes sense to me even if it's not very noticeable. The fusebox covers nobody will ever see, and there isn't leather down there anyway around it, just carpet.

What are you getting on your personalized floor mats?

Rear view mirror in leather I skipped because the overhead console and mounting arm are both still plastic, so I didn't think it would look great. This option makes much more sense for Porsches available and optioned with non-black leather interiors.

The dashboard trim package in leather doesn't show this on the configurator, but the large trapezoidal speaker trim you normally get will be replaced by this tiny round grille with stitching around it that kind of looks like a poorly executed cupholder. That's the main reason I avoided it. That and I've read that the leather around the defroster shrinks prematurely. (UPDATE: Included pics in later post.)

Do you know where the door trim in Alcantara is? It's the tiny A-pillar triangle, the airbag panel and the part below it that is almost completely obscured when the door is closed, and the tiny wraparound end of the door that is completely obscured when the door is closed. Everyone I've seen post about this who has gotten it has said it was completely worthless and that they would not get it again.

SiriusXM will get you a roof wart if you care about that.

And wow, you're not kidding about the hit you'd take on resale -- $130K??? Even in Canadian, that's quite a chunk of change!
Really appreciate the feedback! I still have plenty of time to change this that is why I posted it here, want to make sure I really understand all these options. Gonna read your feedback carefully and probably remove some of these that don't make sense.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:45 AM
uhn2000
Racer

Originally Posted by jphughan
You get the dashboard stitching with the leather interior. The only part the extended dash option adds is the center speaker and the defroster trim.

Anyhow, since you're already going all out, like I said above, consider adding illuminated sills and instrument surround in leather. Enjoy!
Ok I get your point now, hmmm defroster and speaker for $1500 seems like a rip to me. I gotta go through this list carefully in the next few days.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:57 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Really appreciate the feedback! I still have plenty of time to change this that is why I posted it here, want to make sure I really understand all these options. Gonna read your feedback carefully and probably remove some of these that don't make sense.
Happy to share! I've also made a few edits since the original post. But to turn the tables on you a bit, since you've seen it, can you tell me about the rear view mirror in leather? I can't find very much about it here or on P-9 (which tells me few people option it), but Eduardo says that the leather is so thin it almost looks painted on, so given that you called it out as one of your favorite features up there with the amazing leather inner door sills, I'm curious to hear your impressions.

(Every time I think I'm finally done adding options.... )
Old 08-07-2015, 01:02 AM
HamiltonGT4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think this is correct. I got the extended leather trim option and my defroster and centre channel is not stitched. Hmm makes me think there was a mistake on mine. Need to check and see what I paid
Old 08-07-2015, 01:02 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Ok I get your point now, hmmm defroster and speaker for $1500 seems like a rip to me. I gotta go through this list carefully in the next few days.
Yeah, although I think the extended door panel trim in Leather/Alcantara is an even bigger rip. I think the reason extended dash leather is so expensive is that being an Exclusive option, it means the car is built on the assembly line with the standard components, and then it goes to another area where Exclusive employees remove the standard pieces and add the ones you optioned, so you're paying for the original parts and the additional labor, which is probably quite substantial to get to the windshield defroster trim on an assembled car. Same with leather air vent slats.

And just for the sake of accuracy, I forgot to mention that the extended dash option also gets you stitching on the sides of the dash, i.e. the part that you never see while the door is closed. You can see what I mean at 4:55 in the video below, although fwiw, at least in the US, that part of the dash seems to come with a huge warning label, so I'm not sure what happens for us there or whether that's also true for Canada.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:04 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by HamiltonGT4
I don't think this is correct. I got the extended leather trim option and my defroster and centre channel is not stitched. Hmm makes me think there was a mistake on mine. Need to check and see what I paid
Make sure you're not confusing "Leather Interior Package i.c.w. Leather Interior", which replaces the dashboard trim strip and door trim strip with leather, with "Extended Interior Package, Dashboard Trim in Leather" (called "Dashboard Trim Package in Leather" in Canada, apparently), which is what I'm referring to and what I pictured above. Unless maybe Porsche changed the spec of this option from what the Geneva car I showed above and every other 981 has??
Old 08-07-2015, 01:28 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts
Default Porsche, you got me! GT4 config..

Hope you guys don't mind an intrusion from the Spyder side of the forum... :-)

-inner leather door sills.. Saw them and fell in love, beautiful.

-leather instrument surround: I ordered my car with the red leather interior (which you guys don't have) because I was concerned red plastic would clash with red leather. Has ANYONE seen leather instrument surround on a boxster/cayman before? Is it worth it?

-I ordered alcantara visors BC they are gorgeous and the grey above really goes well with grey below.. But the leather rear view mirror seems a bit nuts.. Can Anyone confirm that it has that special feel to it??
Old 08-07-2015, 10:29 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by CAlexio
-leather instrument surround: I ordered my car with the red leather interior (which you guys don't have) because I was concerned red plastic would clash with red leather. Has ANYONE seen leather instrument surround on a boxster/cayman before? Is it worth it?
I haven't found pics of this option even on a 911, though I did find an image from Porsche Exclusive confirming the part that was covered in leather. Basically the "upper" term refers to the part around the gauges, but not the gauge surrounds themselves; I think Porsche figures that the gauges sunken, so "upper" means "closer to the driver". Anyhow, from the very few posts about it here or on P-9, the one person I found who actually had it said that he didn't feel it was worth it, and somebody else was told the same by their dealer. I'm getting it just because it doesn't make sense to me to have a plastic piece there surrounded by a leather dash above, a leather steering column below, and Alcantara and aluminum below and to the side. If I wasn't getting the steering column though, I'd definitely pass on this option.

I love the leather inner door sills too. I just know myself well enough to know that I wouldn't be sufficiently careful over the long term, so I recognize that in some cases I just can't have nice things. I can also be lazy when it comes to cleaning my car, which is partly why I'm getting the leather steering wheel. I'm going to drive this car a lot and definitely won't feel like cleaning an Alcantara steering wheel with a toothbrush periodically, but I also tried an Alcantara steering wheel in-person and while it felt nice, it didn't blow my mind compared to leather.

Last edited by jphughan; 08-07-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:50 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Epic build, congrats!

Quick Reply: Porsche, you got me! GT4 config..