Received 573 Likes on 278 Posts

"not a penny over MSRP" says people who are having their cars built as we speak
Old 07-14-2015, 03:13 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029
Fair point, but there are people who have been offered allocations over MSRP and decided to keep looking or wait it out for a while.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:19 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Fair point, but there are people who have been offered allocations over MSRP and decided to keep looking or wait it out for a while.
And there are people who stepped in right behind them and snapped them up.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was fortunate, as I put down deposits in Feb. at two dealerships and my allocations came up at the
same time so I was able to negotiate between the two and actually I am paying a little less than MSRP, as i had some dealer fees waived.
But to answer the question, I would never pay a penny over MSRP.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:54 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaki
And there are people who stepped in right behind them and snapped them up.
Oh I know, I just meant that some people really are standing on principle (or budget) even if it means giving up an allocation, as opposed to the only people saying "not a penny over MSRP" being those who already have an MSRP allocation.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:27 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,114 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Those must be those wonderful LA dealers....
Such a joy to work with
Not like the Northern California dealers are any better, but yeah most of the So Cal dealers suck.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:02 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

This is probably the car that will turn me off from the Porsche brand altogether given the attitude that I have received from various dealerships as well as the uncaring attitude by the folks at PCNA.

I used to think that Porsche dealers were above petty games and such but it's probably time to look elsewhere given that many of them are showing their true colors.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:11 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,114 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
There were about a dozen people behind me ready to pay the small premium to that 918 owner that I'm buying my car from. Yeah, I was late to the party by not putting my name down on dealer lists last year so I'm fine with paying a small premium. No way I'd pay $30k, let alone $20k over.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:34 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 135 Posts
Default How much you willing to pay for GT4?

I don't understand the "not a penny over MSRP" mentality. Ideally, I wouldn't want to pay over sticker, but I have. For an Acura, no less. I was desperate to replace my Discovery, which was falling apart. The MDX was a brand new vehicle (in 2001) and there were none around. The dealer charged me 2k over list for their only one available. Otherwise, had to wait 2 months. I got the car I wanted, when I wanted it. BFD. Either buy the car at the price offered or don't. I would have paid over list for my Macsn last summer, but fortunately didn't have to.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:44 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029
Lol true but in all honesty I was saying no, to over MSRP before I got the allocation so I can say it but in truth I was lucky for a number of reasons most being I got a great SA and dealership ( it also didn't hurt that I was throwing everywhere as well☺️)
Old 07-14-2015, 06:13 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
I don't understand the "not a penny over MSRP" mentality. Ideally, I wouldn't want to pay over sticker, but I have. For an Acura, no less. I was desperate to replace my Discovery, which was falling apart. The MDX was a brand new vehicle (in 2001) and there were none around. The dealer charged me 2k over list for their only one available. Otherwise, had to wait 2 months. I got the car I wanted, when I wanted it. BFD. Either buy the car at the price offered or don't. I would have paid over list for my Macsn last summer, but fortunately didn't have to.
CA is wel known for super greasy dealers, 15 years ago a Honda dealer wanted 10K over for a S2K, I just laughed and left the showroom.

I've sent plenty of prospective Porsche buyers to the dealers that I have been working with to get a GT4 allocation, to have them play games and act like a low end Honda dealer that does not make enough margin in their cars is laughable.

I don't know about you, but I personally don't support businesses that don't treat me well as a repeat customer. Nothing more nothing less.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:19 AM
bobodrink
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 45 Posts
Default thanks

Yeah it is a US car, not Taiwan. Thank you for the response, seems like 30k more is too much in everyone's eyes.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:23 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,563 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
I don't understand the "not a penny over MSRP" mentality. Ideally, I wouldn't want to pay over sticker, but I have. For an Acura, no less. I was desperate to replace my Discovery, which was falling apart.
It's pretty simple. There is a perceived shortage right now but unlike other GT cars, this one has it's production life ahead of it and Porsche will build A LOT of them. They will never make another 996 or 997 GT3/RS so those numbers are finite and being reduced day by day by crashes or conversions to track cars -- their values have been going up every year.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:38 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by bobodrink
Yeah it is a US car, not Taiwan. Thank you for the response, seems like 30k more is too much in everyone's eyes.
Ebay; with no reserve, every detail spelled out clearly. Let the free market do its thing and find out!
Old 07-15-2015, 09:11 PM
joe12pack
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching a video of some guys talking about this being the golden age for the manual transmission.

In the future (next 5-7 years) no one will make manual trannys anymore except once in awhile a company like Porsche will decide to do a limited run of 500 cars but charge $100k over MSRP for this special manual transmission and people WILL pay it. I don't think that's too crazy to imagine.

I also think this is not only the golden age for manual transmissions but also for ICE vehicles. In the next 5 years we will see all manufacturers moving to some type of hybrid or alternative fueled cars.

Personally-- part of me would consider taking $10k to give up my car but the risk is that I might pass up the last great chance to buy a manual transmissioned proper driver's sports car.

Combined with the fact that Porsche might switch to turbo-4 bangers next year or the year after-this could be IT for the naturally aspirated-flat 6-Manual transmission-limited production GT Porsche... ever.

Quick Reply: How much you willing to pay for GT4?