Sponsored by: APR

GT Silver

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 06:23 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in the same boat.
I currently own a 2005 Arctic silver Boxster that I bought new so 10 years old now, and the silver looks great, and the best part is that it is the lowest maintenance color you can get.
So with my GT4 order, I originally chose Rhodium silver metallic because I like the low maintenance factor as it doesn't show the dirt or dust, however the other day I was thinking about colors and was on the freeway and noticed just how many white, silver, gray and black cars there are.
Next time you are out on the road take a look around and check the color palette out and you will notice the majority of cars are black, white, silver and gray.
Bland, dull, boring came to mind so I started searching for a silver alternative that also has the ability to hide the dirt and dust and looks kinda exotic.
I chose Sapphire Blue Metallic, it looks a darker blue in the shade, but really, really pops in the sunlight, almost like it's lit from behind.
I feel that Porsche's like Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, McLaren's and others in that category are exotic cars and thus deserve an exotic color.
How many black, white, silver Ferrari's or Lambos do you see?
The majority are either Red, Yellow, Orange, bright green or blue or some other bright, eye catching color

I personally think the GT4 looks killer in Sapphire blue, but as always color choice is subjective.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:26 PM
joe12pack
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks to everyone for their responses. It helps ease my mind that I didn't pick an ugly color. It's certainly a safe color and I'm hoping over time will retain its beauty vs. the brighter and bolder colors that tend to fade or look old quickly. Found out my order was just locked so GT Silver will be the color I get come hell or high water. No more changes.

Whoever takes delivery please share some pics (preferably high quality) with the rest of us. My vehicle is to be delivered early November so a few months of waiting.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:27 PM
Provie
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by joe12pack
Ok thanks to everyone for their responses. It helps ease my mind that I didn't pick an ugly color. It's certainly a safe color and I'm hoping over time will retain its beauty vs. the brighter and bolder colors that tend to fade or look old quickly. Found out my order was just locked so GT Silver will be the color I get come hell or high water. No more changes.

Whoever takes delivery please share some pics (preferably high quality) with the rest of us. My vehicle is to be delivered early November so a few months of waiting.
Good on you mate! I think locked status has been the most relieving part of the ordering process! No more contemplating this vs that ect...
I've considered every last color available and was fixated on GT silver for a long while... Then it was between Carmine and GT silver than thankfully PTS came about... Now there are even more choices!!
Honestly the car will look great in any color.

I think the this car is NOT rhodium silver...
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2015, 08:41 PM
mcdavis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My preferred colors were
1. Carmine Red
- much deeper red vs. guard, which is a mix of orange and red to me
- it is a bit showy, but I think that is somewhat appropriate for a GT car
- tail lights may not stand out, oh well
2. GT Silver
- most classy; agreed with the comment that rhodium has a blue tint
- somewhat boring though
- my previous car is basically this color
3. PTS to Voodoo Blue
- very tempting...don't like the fact that Toyota has it
4. PTS to Birch Green

my car locks in a few days....it's Carmine Red now...with silver wheels...grey stitching, leather interior, etc..currently no LWB, oh well. This will be my first red car...

-mark
Old 07-13-2015, 08:52 PM
sliollio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine should arrive mid September! I'll be sure to post lots of pics
Old 07-13-2015, 09:01 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
I've had both GT Silver (on a 40th Anniversary 996) and Rhodium Silver on my 981S. GT has a slight black cast to it, whereas Rhodium has a slight blue cast. Both are gorgeous IMO.
Dead on. I parked next to a 2015 Cayman in Rhodium this weekend at an event. The Rhodium has more of a sky blue tint to it where GT goes towards gray and has no hint of any blue whatsoever.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:58 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GT Silver is the only "GT" paint for the GT4. End of story. Easy choice. I did see it side by side with a Rodium in daylight and there was no comparison IMO.

All my cars are always silver and GT Silver for my first GT car made sense. Red belts, red calipers, model delete, black uprights and that's the end of the cosmetics for me. All other options were functional.

I think you made a great choice. I would really love to see some high res photos of a real GT Silver though.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:13 PM
joe12pack
Advanced

Wow katmeho I think we ordered the same exact car!

I have Red belts & black uprights. I did splurge on heated seats though. Need to keep the missis happy.

Very well then... we shall be the guardians of the one true GT4 Color: GT Silver.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:15 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very well then... we shall be the guardians of the one true GT4 Color: GT Silver.
All hail the guardians, protectors of the manual and destroyers of pads and tires!
Old 07-13-2015, 10:30 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched the video and really liked that combination.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:43 PM
number 9
Racer

My current car is Aqua blue metallic and I've never had so many positive comments. I think the contrast of the silver treatments and the yellow calipers makes it pop and there's no doubt that the effort to keep it clean really pays dividends. I'm still enchanted every time the garage door goes up! Sapphire blue metallic looks much like ABM when it's in the shade, and almost has a glow to it in the sun. Amazing I agree. While my wife stays out of my Porsche-business she got into my head about getting a different color this time so I thought GTSilver would be a great classic choice that I wouldn't be seeing at every other stoplight in my town.

When PTS showed up on the configurator I called my SA who said it was available so here we go! After another week of indecision I finally land on THE color. Slate Grey 6601, paint code 615. Man, I want my coffin painted slate grey! My guitars, my clothes, my house (well not the house actually). THIS color is a true classic and I would pay double for it if I had to. If there's a problem with any of this, my SA didn't actually confirm that my allocation was eligible until we tried to input the PTS change and then holy crap. No dice, my build is too early, go figure. At least I have an allocation, right? An 'early' one to boot. Ha! Nice mind-f$k that one was.

Now I've done WAY too much research. I summoned our trusted 'Color Boss', Eduardo and got his solid advice and opinions. I've sent emails to Porsche Exclusive verifying paint codes and almost flew to Atlanta on a whim to see if I could beg my way into the inner sanctum where they have the wall of color samples. Birch Green? Gulf Orange? Fashion Grey? Maritime? Finally Slate Grey and guess what every one of my preferred colors had in common? None are metallic, and this is bothering me seriously. I'm convinced (and agree with others!) that this car needs a proper non-metallic finish but my problem is that I don't want white or black or yellow or red and there's nothing else available to me. PTS is truly like winning the lottery AND an exercise of great patience afterwards! I applaud you all and have a newfound appreciation of how the stars need to align for this to happen. I thought about offering my mid-October delivery to someone with a PTS allocation but I can't bear to wait an extra six months to finally drive this car.

My order went V210 last Friday. Unless I can get the car in primer I'm stuck on 'classic' GTSilver. The lines of this car will pop the best in this color, for sure! Then the wheel color... I've specced PCCBs and platinum wheels that look like they're permanently coated with brake dust and I'm totally unsettled about that too. I don't like black wheels but silver won't contrast well with the GTSilver IMO. Actual pics of the gt3 w/ platinum look pretty good to me but I'll be craving for some gt4 pics of gt silver instead of another rhodium pic (not bashing rhodium).

I'm sure this will be a great combo when it shows up in the metal. Primer or slate grey would be better tho Fashion grey is going to look incredible on this car as well and if there was ever a call for the platinum wheels this would be my #2 choice with no doubts!
Old 07-14-2015, 12:00 AM
wbgordon
Racer

Originally Posted by Provie
Good on you mate! I think locked status has been the most relieving part of the ordering process! No more contemplating this vs that ect...
I've considered every last color available and was fixated on GT silver for a long while... Then it was between Carmine and GT silver than thankfully PTS came about... Now there are even more choices!!
Honestly the car will look great in any color.

I think the this car is NOT rhodium silver...
I, too, think this car is NOT Rhodium. The car in my av is.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:18 AM
joe12pack
Advanced

When I see high res images like this Agate colored one... and envision it in GT Silver. It's gonna be sweet.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:23 AM
number 9
Racer

Agate/ silver wheels!
Old 07-14-2015, 12:54 AM
joe12pack
Advanced

Im confused about the wheels on that Agate pictured car. Are those the standard platinum wheels or are they the "silver" wheels? I thought the standard platinum ones were darker?

These seem darker. I hope the standard wheels are darker.

Quick Reply: GT Silver