GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

The first GT4 in North America

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015 | 02:01 AM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Hey, that's my car! Well, without the red nipples, Sport Chrono and painted center console trim.

Originally Posted by Macca
Also whats with the US having a different rear bumper with that ugly plate surround intrusion! Why cant you just have a Euro style bumper like we do in NZ (we use the US size plate here too)...
I guess you get a wart, even if you don't spec Sound Package Plus.

Originally Posted by supercup
Porsche typically uses Luthtansia for air freight delivery.
As a matter of interest, just what does it cost to air freight a car across the big pond?
Old 06-10-2015 | 03:47 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Re: GT4 Rear Bumper...

Originally Posted by Type901
The rear US license plate bracket is a bit odd. I'm curious why Porsche affixed it to the bumper. Doesn't seem like it would provide any impact protection and a better integrated bracket could have appeased the DOT gods.
Originally Posted by jphughan
If you mean the painted part though, yeah that's pretty obnoxious.
Originally Posted by Macca
Yes the painted part. What is its point? Its about as useful as **** on a bull!
It's simply a way for PAG to save money by just having one bumper for all markets - the US/Canada, Europe and ROW.

In the gt3 & other 991s, we have two sets of bumpers depending on the market it's going to. The 981 'one-size-fits-all' saves costs. The painted frame allows the US size plates to fit correctly & centered (as mandated by DOT) and...voila!

Thanks to Rennlister 'Arena-RTR' for posting!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images   
Old 06-10-2015 | 06:47 AM
Dimmu
Advanced

What!? I can put an EU long plate on the back of the US GT4!? That's great news for me!
Old 06-10-2015 | 09:52 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dimmu
What!? I can put an EU long plate on the back of the US GT4!? That's great news for me!
Let us know how to remove that painted frame without damage to the bumper when you pick up your US spec GT4.
Old 06-10-2015 | 10:25 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Hey, that's my car! Well, without the red nipples, Sport Chrono and painted center console trim.

I guess you get a wart, even if you don't spec Sound Package Plus.

As a matter of interest, just what does it cost to air freight a car across the big pond?
I don't know what Porsche charges but I do know what Ferrari charges. My brother has owned 70 + Ferraris in his life time. Every once in a while he would have one flown into Los Angeles. The usual cost was around $7K + or - minus a couple of thousand. But here is something interesting. Sometimes Ferrari and the local dealer would help pay for the cost. This usually happened when Ferrari wanted to get a lot of Ferraris off the books so they could invoice the dealer. Cost to fly one in was around $1500 to the customer. Almost every customer took advantage of the opportunity. One time my brother's car left Italy on a Friday and was in the dealership on Monday.
Old 06-10-2015 | 11:18 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z356
It's simply a way for PAG to save money by just having one bumper for all markets - the US/Canada, Europe and ROW.

In the gt3 & other 991s, we have two sets of bumpers depending on the market it's going to. The 981 'one-size-fits-all' saves costs. The painted frame allows the US size plates to fit correctly & centered (as mandated by DOT) and...voila!
Ok, but that doesn't answer the question of why US cars get that obnoxious frame within the bumper "alcove". I'm skeptical about the centering claim. If Porsche can spell "Porsche" in individual letters across the rear bumper and keep everything centered and evenly spaced, I have to believe that they could have centered a license plate bracket, or the holes for one if cars don't arrive at dealers with some sort of bracket. If they don't even drill holes for a bracket at the factory, I suppose this could be to ensure that dealers don't screw up bracket centering and leveling during the delivery phase, which would of course be a sticky situation for everyone involved, but that white ROW GT4 photo you posted is mounted just fine even though it doesn't have any leveling/centering mechanism since the plate isn't right up against the top edge of that area, nor does it touch either side -- so what gives on US-spec cars? My money is still on somebody thinking that this design looks better than putting a US license plate into an overly sized alcove.

I suspect the surround is indeed removable, but unless it's on there with adhesive (doubtful IMHO), then you'll have drill holes in your bumper that won't be covered up by the plate bracket.

Interesting info about the 991 GT3 rear bumpers though, I hadn't noticed that, but a cursory glance through Google Images indeed shows two different bumper styles based on license plate dimensions. However, that appears to be new, since this 997 has similar, and IMHO even uglier, treatment:

Old 06-10-2015 | 11:32 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Turns out this discussion has been running at Planet-9 for a while now, and on Boxsters the surround isn't even painted! I guess we should consider ourselves lucky then....

Also, this post suggests that removing it won't be feasible: http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-b...tml#post912022
Old 06-10-2015 | 12:10 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Let us know how to remove that painted frame without damage to the bumper when you pick up your US spec GT4.
Turns out this discussion has been running at Planet-9 for a while now, and on Boxsters the surround isn't even painted! I guess we should consider ourselves lucky then....

Also, this post suggests that removing it won't be feasible: http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-b...tml#post912022
Found the answer to my question. Thanx for the search jphughan.

Old 06-10-2015 | 02:04 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Hopefully the owner is on these boards, or else OP can you take a look at the manual? I'd like to know if the recommended break-in period is the regular 3000 miles (that will take forever in this car....) and also whether there's any mention of slick tires voiding the warranty.
Believe it or not, Porsche hasn't printed the manuals yet... they fedex'd us about 200 sheets.

The break in is exactly the same as every other Porsche. It is labeled "Break in hints" in the table of contents, and is the first 2000 miles. Limit cold starts, engine revs over 4500 rpm and use of cruise control.
Old 06-10-2015 | 02:05 PM
dmfl
Advanced

Originally Posted by drdonger
I agree. That looks terrible.
This is a question that I have had for so long - what's the purpose of the U.S. rear PLATE surroundings?
Old 06-10-2015 | 02:07 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n2cars
Cost to fly one in was around $1500 to the customer. Almost every customer took advantage of the opportunity. One time my brother's car left Italy on a Friday and was in the dealership on Monday.
I don't' know for sure, as it is not my customer, but I overheard a similar figure... only with an additional zero at the end of it.
Old 06-10-2015 | 02:11 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Type901
Thanks for posting, arena-RTR.

Very sweet and the engine note sounds great. The rear US license plate bracket is a bit odd. I'm curious why Porsche affixed it to the bumper. Doesn't seem like it would provide any impact protection and a better integrated bracket could have appeased the DOT gods.

Damn, I love the GT4. Let's just hope that Porsche builds enough for everyone that wants one.
Engine note is miles better in person. It makes the Carrera GTS sound subdued.

and you're welcome, but flattering me will ... definitely help your chances of getting your GT4 sooner
Old 06-10-2015 | 02:19 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
Believe it or not, Porsche hasn't printed the manuals yet... they fedex'd us about 200 sheets.

The break in is exactly the same as every other Porsche. It is labeled "Break in hints" in the table of contents, and is the first 2000 miles. Limit cold starts, engine revs over 4500 rpm and use of cruise control.
Hmm, 2000 miles isn't quite as bad I guess. But wow, they FedExed you 200 pages? Couldn't they just have emailed a PDF to make life easier for everyone? I always keep PDFs of my car manuals on my phone so that I can search them and also don't have to be in the car if I want to check something.
Old 06-10-2015 | 02:45 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mm1
lol, I've never seen so many comments on (f-ing) seats. Spec'd mine with 2 ways from the beginning, before LWB Gate.
^^^ Agree! Same!

Re: License plate surrounds - All my 981 Caymans (S/GTS) have had the license plate surrounds so it doesn't look odd to me - its the way they come.

Re: Sport Seats Plus - they are incredibly good standard seats with great shoulder support - drove 7 hours with wife to Daytona. Loved 'em. And, had my fastest time in them (wearing a $20 GForce lap belt) at the track. No complaints. LWBs are great, but the alternative is pretty darn good too.
Old 06-10-2015 | 02:51 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Hmm, 2000 miles isn't quite as bad I guess. But wow, they FedExed you 200 pages? Couldn't they just have emailed a PDF to make life easier for everyone? I always keep PDFs of my car manuals on my phone so that I can search them and also don't have to be in the car if I want to check something.
But if they did that, it would get leaked to Rennlist

Quick Reply: The first GT4 in North America