GT4 Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:21 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default GT4 Options

Hi there,

New member here. I'm looking at placing an order for one of these (I don't think in my market the slots are all gone yet), and was thinking the following options. (should note - will be daily driver, will rarely get on the track)

Had some questions - hopefully you guys can provide some feedback:

- agate grey with silver wheels. I always come back to grey. Currently have a white C63 507 with black wheels, which looks great, but metallic grey looks a bit more understated. I think the titanium coloured wheels on grey will look a bit monotone. I can't see pictures of either of these combos anywhere though, so its still a bit of a gamble

- Adaptive sports seats plus. I don't won't the buckets. I hated climbing in and out of my rs4 buckets, so happy to just get normal seats. Going the plus so I can have mirror / seat memory

- I haven't chosen PDLS. If you are driving in town 99% of the time is this option worth it?

- Wings in black - is this just the wing supports? Or are there other components in black when you choose this option?

- Sport chrono seems a gimmick on this car? Cant see myself using the app.

- See no reason why not to get 64 litre tank

- auto dimming mirrors with rain sensor

- steering wheel and gear stick in leather (current car has alcantara - doesn't age well....)

- Digital radio

- Apparently comes standard here with bluetooth

Anything you think I should add to this? Anything to remove? Reasons for why would be good.

Cheers.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:50 AM
GT4000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome

maybe remove the GT4 badge and get a GTS instead.. especially if you're driving around town 99% of the time.

Last edited by GT4000; 04-29-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:36 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman

Hi there,

New member here. I'm looking at placing an order for one of these (I don't think in my market the slots are all gone yet), and was thinking the following options. (should note - will be daily driver, will rarely get on the track)
Aloha and welcome. I'm not sure where you are but good luck in getting an allocation.

- agate grey with silver wheels. I always come back to grey. Currently have a white C63 507 with black wheels, which looks great, but metallic grey looks a bit more understated. I think the titanium coloured wheels on grey will look a bit monotone. I can't see pictures of either of these combos anywhere though, so its still a bit of a gamble
Personal choice. I'm not a big fan of Agate Grey on any Porsche. It's a little "flat" for my tastes but to each his own.

I do not like dark/black wheels on anything. To me, they always look dirty. so I've chosen silver wheels for mine.

- Adaptive sports seats plus. I don't won't the buckets. I hated climbing in and out of my rs4 buckets, so happy to just get normal seats. Going the plus so I can have mirror / seat memory
If you don't want the LWB's and want the memory function than this is a no brainer.

- I haven't chosen PDLS. If you are driving in town 99% of the time is this option worth it?
How dark are your roads at night? The standard HID lights on the Cayman/S/GTS are very good. PDLS will help in situations where you have a lot of switchback/tight corners in the dark.

- Wings in black - is this just the wing supports? Or are there other components in black when you choose this option?
To the best of anyone's knowledge this option is what it is. Supports in black and nothing more. Again, personal choice.

- Sport chrono seems a gimmick on this car? Cant see myself using the app.
Nobody knows for sure as none of us have taken delivery yet. This option has been widely dismissed by the 991 GT3 guys. Search that part of the board for more info.

- See no reason why not to get 64 litre tank
Some will argue that it could add a few extra lbs (or kilos depending on where you are) due to fuel weight. I say nonsense, skip a plate of French fries every once in a while and you're at the same spot. The extra range provided by the bigger tank (especially for someone like you who plans to drive their GT4 more than just at the track) will be very worthwhile.

- auto dimming mirrors with rain sensor
Personal choice. I'm not a fan of either of these options for a number of reasons including increased cost, weight, and complexity. I don't find it particularly difficult to move a stalk to turn on my windshield wipers, for example. And the auto wipers add a HUGE premium in most cases should you ever need to replace your front windscreen.

- steering wheel and gear stick in leather (current car has alcantara - doesn't age well....)
Again, personal choice. Sounds like you know what you like and your usage needs are.

- Digital radio
Do you not need/want navigation? I don't (since I find my phone to be more reliable, more current, and more easily upgraded).

Anything you think I should add to this? Anything to remove? Reasons for why would be good.

Cheers.
Suggested adds:
- smokers package. Even if you don't smoke, the extra power outlet is a nice, free touch.
- luggage net in passenger footwell. Another, rare, Porsche freebie that gives you a little more storage space.
- heated seats? You're getting the adaptive seats so you can do this. They're very good heated seats and depending on where you live, they can make early morning commutes a little nicer on the backside.

Good luck and again, welcome.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:20 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Da Hapa answered all of your questions the same way I would.

So you don't get your hopes up, I'll just add that it is highly unlikely that all of the slots in your market are not already spoken for.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:22 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Which market are you in that the slots haven't been long gone since February?
Old 04-29-2015, 08:34 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GT4000
welcome

maybe remove the GT4 badge and get a GTS instead.. especially if you're driving around town 99% of the time.
I had the original Cayman S, which I loved, but it always felt like it lacked a little punch. I would have not considered getting another Cayman if they had not put a 911 engine in one.

The GT4 is obviously going to be less forgiving on the road, but the reviews I have seen have all stated that its a brilliant road car - so it cant be all bad.

The most significant comments were about the noise - and I look forward to the noise, my C63 has far too much sound deadening. People outside the car get better sound than I do!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:41 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Aloha and welcome. I'm not sure where you are but good luck in getting an allocation.
Personal choice. I'm not a big fan of Agate Grey on any Porsche. It's a little "flat" for my tastes but to each his own.
I do not like dark/black wheels on anything. To me, they always look dirty. so I've chosen silver wheels for mine.
If you don't want the LWB's and want the memory function than this is a no brainer.
How dark are your roads at night? The standard HID lights on the Cayman/S/GTS are very good. PDLS will help in situations where you have a lot of switchback/tight corners in the dark.
To the best of anyone's knowledge this option is what it is. Supports in black and nothing more. Again, personal choice.
Nobody knows for sure as none of us have taken delivery yet. This option has been widely dismissed by the 991 GT3 guys. Search that part of the board for more info.
Some will argue that it could add a few extra lbs (or kilos depending on where you are) due to fuel weight. I say nonsense, skip a plate of French fries every once in a while and you're at the same spot. The extra range provided by the bigger tank (especially for someone like you who plans to drive their GT4 more than just at the track) will be very worthwhile.
Personal choice. I'm not a fan of either of these options for a number of reasons including increased cost, weight, and complexity. I don't find it particularly difficult to move a stalk to turn on my windshield wipers, for example. And the auto wipers add a HUGE premium in most cases should you ever need to replace your front windscreen.
Again, personal choice. Sounds like you know what you like and your usage needs are.
Do you not need/want navigation? I don't (since I find my phone to be more reliable, more current, and more easily upgraded).
Suggested adds:
- smokers package. Even if you don't smoke, the extra power outlet is a nice, free touch.
- luggage net in passenger footwell. Another, rare, Porsche freebie that gives you a little more storage space.
- heated seats? You're getting the adaptive seats so you can do this. They're very good heated seats and depending on where you live, they can make early morning commutes a little nicer on the backside.
Good luck and again, welcome.
Thanks - great feedback.

I think the only change I will make will be the luggage net!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by switchface
Da Hapa answered all of your questions the same way I would.

So you don't get your hopes up, I'll just add that it is highly unlikely that all of the slots in your market are not already spoken for.
I didn't get the impression yet from the local dealer that I was wasting my time. Lets see what feedback I get in the next day or two.

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Which market are you in that the slots haven't been long gone since February?
I deliberately left off my country as I'd rather hear it directly from the dealer, than from some forum member saying "I live in country X too, and all the slots have gone!". Not the sort of news you want to get from a forum...
Old 04-29-2015, 10:21 PM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Anything you think I should add to this?
I'd say light design package. Sucks not having glove box or was it trunk light nor vanity lights. Anyways it should be standard but a small tax to pay.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:15 PM
IMOA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see the market he's in and I'd say that if the dealer is saying that there are slots left then there most likely are. Certainly I know someone who placed their order a week ago and when I spoke to my dealer 1 1/2 weeks ago he had slots.

I specifically confirmed the wings in black/uprights in black with my dealer, the website is misleading, it is definitely just the uprights.

I added PDLS, it was one of the few reasonably priced options and since I do do a bit of highway and country back road driving at night, and we do have lots of things bouncing out on the road in front of us, I thought it there was some very real benefit.

I didn't bother with digital radio, afaik there's no announcement of when the analogue network is being turned off and it's got a usb port in the glovebox so I'll do what I do in my current car and leave an old ipod in there and listen to that 99% of the time. Actually, sat nav is standard so I assume this means we have a hard disk for music standard as well?

For a car that is mainly for the street I'd think about the leather, the standard interior is fine for a track oriented car but a bit low rent for a streetcar of that cost imo.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:26 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by IMOA
I didn't bother with digital radio, afaik there's no announcement of when the analogue network is being turned off
There are some digital only stations. It annoys me that I dont get them in my current car.

Originally Posted by IMOA
For a car that is mainly for the street I'd think about the leather, the standard interior is fine for a track oriented car but a bit low rent for a streetcar of that cost imo.
But the leather is just various bits of leather on the dash etc. It seems like you would have to go all in (ie all leather options) to lift the overall appearance. All in looks quite expensive...

BTW - what color combo did you go with?
Old 04-30-2015, 01:16 AM
IMOA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The leather is a little more than that, it's also the leather across the top of the doors, alcantara on the lower sections of the doors and glovebox etc. For me I would have been happy with just leather on the doors and alcantara while leaving the dash etc standard but the only way to get it was the (somewhat expensive) leather option. When you go into the dealer I'd sit in a something with the lkeather option (chances are high they'll have a cayman GTS in this spec on the floor) and something with the standard trim (my dealer had a cayman and a boxster with the standard trim) and see if it makes enough of a difference for you.

I've gone for the sapphire blue with standard wheels and brakes and will be the standard silver stitching inside. The dealer has said I've got the blue but I'm not completely convinced so if I don't I'm really not sure what colour I'll go.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:06 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

The leather is one heck of a deal on the GT4. For a grand it's almost a no brainer since it looks so much better for so little cost. I wanted HD and XM so went with CDR+.

For must options i'd say.
All free option.
Smoker package ( extra plug)
Cargo net
Larger tank.

Paid must have options i'd say.
Full leather on the GT4 since its so much cheaper.
Light design package. ( i can't imagine looking in trunk or glovebox without lights.

If you use A/C all the time i'd suggest the Auto a/c option.
Manual climate control without a **** is annoying. That toggle switich is the worst IMHO.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:51 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I hate manual A/C as well since I live in an area where the temperature can swing dramatically day to day. I'll be getting climate control even though I don't care at all about the 2-zone aspect.

As for Bluetooth, there's a distinction. Bluetooth CALLING is standard; Bluetooth audio streaming requires CDR Plus or PCM, if you care about that feature.

On the luggage net, it seems too shallow and narrow to accommodate anything other than an iPad. I know it's free, but if the mesh has the potential to sag or passengers might kick it, I'd rather leave it off. Or is there some use case I'm not thinking of?

Otherwise I agree with others here, including the person saying that if you really will be driving around town 99% of the time, a GTS is probably a better choice....
Old 04-30-2015, 08:20 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
On the luggage net, it seems too shallow and narrow to accommodate anything other than an iPad. I know it's free, but if the mesh has the potential to sag or passengers might kick it, I'd rather leave it off. Or is there some use case I'm not thinking of?
Unless the net on the GT4 is different than the net on other Caymans it rests flush to the transmission tunnel and does not present an issue for a passenger to kick, unless, of course, you put an enormous item in it.

It is just like the luggage nets that other manufacturers use and you'd have to try pretty hard to overstuff it to the hilt to get it to the point that it would sag, etc.

You're right; however, that the storage capacity is minimal. But given the limited options already in the car, another potential storage area (and one that doesn't slide around under cornering/acceleration) is a good idea, at least IMO.

Quick Reply: GT4 Options