58.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

PCM on GT4: Yea or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 05:43 PM
nova996
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think I will go to many new places with this car, because of clearance, etc. I see myself driving it to work on some Fridays and then to tracks I know how to get to, and our other house that I pretty much know how to get to. Otherwise I'll use my phone.

I will get a $40 BT adaptor on the base CDR just for news and podcasts. Otherwise, I'll enjoy the sound of the car.

I have nav+burmester in my DD. But that's a totally different use case.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:57 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,774 Likes on 2,721 Posts

Originally Posted by nova996
I will get a $40 BT adaptor on the base CDR just for news and podcasts.
Something like this? Just plug it into the jack in the glove box and close the door - operate from smart phone?

http://dynamic.focalprice.com/ER2773...TOcaAuH78P8HAQ
Old 02-23-2015, 06:03 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by nova996
I will get a $40 BT adaptor on the base CDR just for news and podcasts.
What adapter is that? Does allow streaming audio (AD2P) to the AUX input? Does it conflict with the Bluetooth hands-free mobile?
Old 02-23-2015, 06:22 PM
focal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrantG
Does your screen name refer to the French speaker company?
YES. Big fan of their speakers for cars. I have discovered Hybrid Audio now also and think they are even better.

I thought about getting focal for the home systems but just so much more choice (use a UK brands called Spendor and REL)
Old 02-23-2015, 06:28 PM
focal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
What adapter is that? Does allow streaming audio (AD2P) to the AUX input? Does it conflict with the Bluetooth hands-free mobile?

it does NOT affect handsfree because when the phone rings, the car will switch from AUX-input on your sound system to the handsfree phone system.

your phone itself also has separate BT connection for phone use and audio use. When the phone rings, obviously it'll switch from music playback to answering your phone
Old 02-23-2015, 06:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,774 Likes on 2,721 Posts

Originally Posted by focal
YES. Big fan of their speakers for cars. I have discovered Hybrid Audio now also and think they are even better.

I thought about getting focal for the home systems but just so much more choice (use a UK brands called Spendor and REL)
Cool - yes, Spendor are REL are classics - http://hybrid-audio.com looks like nice stuff! Thanks for the tip.

I'm a big audiophile (mostly in recovery now ), as is Steve D.

Last edited by GrantG; 02-23-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:42 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
FIFY

I've ordered it on all my cars, the Porsche system is terrible by today's standards even for in vehicle systems. I got it on the GT3 because it was $500, but wouldn't pay the price for it in the GT4.
If your GT3 is a 991, then it has an updated version of the PCM on my 991 which I think is adequate. I certainly would not describe it as terrible.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:46 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I never used the radio in my last Carrera S, so there's no chance I'll be playing music in the GT4 unless my wife is with me or I'm driving it to Monterey. As far as the nav in the PCM goes, I plan on keeping the GT4 until they bury me, so I'm planning for its obsolescence (i.e. I don't want to have some crummy 2015 nav in 2035). My Garmin and/or iPhone 6+ will do just fine.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,965 Likes on 916 Posts

PCM is standard in the US. PCM Plus is the option and it adds a USB connection for a iPhone, etc. I am told that PCM will let you stream music over Bluetooth controlled by the device, but PCM Plus allows the touchscreen to to control the device via USB connection, at least in some respects.

At least that's what a current Cayman owner tells me current PCM does. I do NOT want Nav (use Waze on an iPhone), so I'm thinking PCM Plus for me. I think Plus gets you a higher resolution screen, too, but without Nav I doubt that is significant.
Originally Posted by sapman
No, it is not on the GT4. It is on the 991. Do you mean "CDR"?
You are right. PCM includes Nav. What is actually standard is "CDR audio system with Sound Package Plus - 9 speakers and 235 Watt output, 7-inch color touch screen, AM/FM radio with double tuner, single in-dash CD drive, also plays music in MP3, AAC and WMA format" and CDR Plus is an option that adds the USB connection, BUT as I now read this CDR Plus does not allow control of the device from the touchscreen display? One needs PCM (with Nav) for that?

What do I order to get a USB connection for a iPhone 6 that allows me to control it from the touchscreen display, but don't want Nav?

TIA,
Chris

CDR Plus
High-resolution 7-inch color (touchscreen) display including radio with RDS double-tuner and single CD/DVD drive with audio playback of MP3 music and audio/video DVDs.

Universal Audio Interface
Connection for AUX-IN, USB, iPod® audio sources. Operated through external device or PCM (depending on device and connection used). The system also supports the display of cover art and playback of podcasts and audio books.

SiriusXM® Satellite Radio Receiver
Enjoy your 3-month trial subscription to the All Access package with over 150 channels including commercial-free music, plus sports, exclusive talk, entertainment and news. Plus listen to SiriusXM Internet Radio everywhere on your computer, smartphone or tablet.

HD Radio Receiver
HD Radio technology provides access to a broad range of new digital programming on top of conventionally received FM stations. HD Radio also includes advanced audio and data features.
sorry but wrong again... important not to confuse people with outdated info. It has been confirmed that the CDR+ was incorrectly put in the configurator as standard, and that the regular 4 speaker stereo is actually what is standard. the CDR+ is the $1700 option you need for the USB/aux input as well as the additional speakers and sound.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
sorry but wrong again... important not to confuse people with outdated info. It has been confirmed that the CDR+ was incorrectly put in the configurator as standard, and that the regular 4 speaker stereo is actually what is standard. the CDR+ is the $1700 option you need for the USB/aux input as well as the additional speakers and sound.
Wow, the US configurator is STILL wrong on this point? Where do I find the confirmation of that?
Old 02-24-2015, 02:28 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 102 Posts

I don't remember CDR+ as ever being listed as standard. It was always CDR as standard with the Sound Package Plus (9 speakers) as standard.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:15 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,965 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
I don't remember CDR+ as ever being listed as standard. It was always CDR as standard with the Sound Package Plus (9 speakers) as standard.
true... but the CDR was listed as having the uprated amp/speakers and connections incorrectly. dealer reps and SA from multiple sources on this forum (including here in SF) have confirmed that it was an error that will be corrected.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:36 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's sad when even Porsche and their dealers don't don't seem to understand the options list. I guess it's like the tax code - more and more confusing as time goes on, until even the accountants are just guessing.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
It's sad when even Porsche and their dealers don't don't seem to understand the options list. I guess it's like the tax code - more and more confusing as time goes on, until even the accountants are just guessing.
Understanding is not the issue. It's writing the correct words that is the issue.

I guess I will know for sure when I can actually place an order.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:47 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 113 Likes on 63 Posts

And don't forget, if you order CDR+ for the upgraded speakers and amp, it also adds sirius/xm crap, which in turn, adds the dreaded roof wart!

Radio delete is looking more and more appealing!

Quick Reply: PCM on GT4: Yea or nay?