Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

OT: Cayman GT4

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015 | 08:34 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
I get your point, but I wonder if they might do a double-debut in this case to cast the Cayman GT4 in some of the GT3 RS's same light (to legitimize the Cayman as a "Real" GT car). Maybe that's why some of the rumors even point to the same Orange launch color for both?
Link please.

P.S.
Prior to signing in I noticed that "Orange launch color" showed up as a link. When I clicked it I got

this this

LOL

IB to the rescue.

LOL
Old 01-06-2015 | 02:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SunnySD
The GTS is just under 100K. How is this GT4 going to cost about the same?
i am speaking of base price. a GTS is not not close to 100.
and most my cars are base cars. my 4.0 has a lower sticker than 50% of the 3.8RS stickers.

my 3.8 RS has sticker lower than most C2s
Old 01-06-2015 | 11:05 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I think it's fully developed, but with some of the upgrades coming from the 991 parts bin and some bespoke parts.
the proof will be in the rear suspension design.
Old 01-06-2015 | 11:23 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Yep...from watching these cars in the Rolex series that was one of the issues...that and rear diff/pdk cooling.
Old 01-06-2015 | 11:33 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yep...from watching these cars in the Rolex series that was one of the issues...that and rear diff/pdk cooling.
Can you explain further?.. What happened to the Rolex cup cars
Old 01-06-2015 | 02:18 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I can tell you right now that the strut rear suspension is not going to be fully redesigned. It will be beefier, likely with coilovers and adjustable swaybars, but they are not building a true multi-link or double-wishbone.

I had hoped that the 981 might've addressed this, but maybe in the next generation. I don't think it's reasonable to expect such a major undertaking for a low volume model.
Old 01-06-2015 | 02:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i am speaking of base price. a GTS is not not close to 100.
Exactly. A GTS is $75k and if you add 20% (a big premium) you are at $90k. Hopefully the base price starts with an "8". Only option I'd like (if not standard) are the bucket seats.
Old 01-06-2015 | 02:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Well, I can tell you right now that the strut rear suspension is not going to be fully redesigned. It will be beefier, likely with coilovers and adjustable swaybars, but they are not building a true multi-link or double-wishbone.

I had hoped that the 981 might've addressed this, but maybe in the next generation. I don't think it's reasonable to expect such a major undertaking for a low volume model.
Thus my statement of parts bin special. Nothing truely developed. Just pieced together using different parts.

I am sure it will be nice however.
I indeed want one
Old 01-06-2015 | 03:26 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by audipwr1
He referred me on to Freemont Porsche which is who I put my deposit with
Did they tell you what position you are on their list for the GT4? I am curious how many put down a deposit for a GT4 with them.
Old 01-06-2015 | 04:36 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thus my statement of parts bin special. Nothing truely developed. Just pieced together using different parts
Isn't that a bit of a double standard? No other GT car has had a bespoke suspension design (other than coilovers, better bushings/bearing, LCA's, and adjustable sways) that differs from the fundamental design of the underlying model.
Old 01-06-2015 | 04:43 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Did they tell you what position you are on their list for the GT4? I am curious how many put down a deposit for a GT4 with them.
I added my name a while ago when I thought I might not get a GT3, and I was still around 10th. This was at least 6 months ago.
Old 01-06-2015 | 05:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Can you explain further?.. What happened to the Rolex cup cars
Rear suspension is just a strut type of deal like the front and not a A arm/wishbone deal...so it's all got to do with geometry and alignment and how it all reacts....due to the tight body work and crammed in engine cooling was an issue but I believe BGB got that worked out.
Old 01-06-2015 | 05:34 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by mdrums
Rear suspension is just a strut type of deal like the front and not a A arm/wishbone deal...so it's all got to do with geometry and alignment and how it all reacts....due to the tight body work and crammed in engine cooling was an issue but I believe BGB got that worked out.
Got it, thanks. Yes; I know how the wheel changes angle with respect to the ground during rebound and compression... Not optimal at all. There was a good discussion either on this thread or another recently, about how the Cayman behaves at the limit (8/10-9/10) because of this rear suspension design. I wonder if for the GT four they wouldn't consider reducing some of the rear storage space to put a proper suspension back there
Old 01-06-2015 | 06:37 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Isn't that a bit of a double standard? No other GT car has had a bespoke suspension design (other than coilovers, better bushings/bearing, LCA's, and adjustable sways) that differs from the fundamental design of the underlying model.
Would like to see development in the car that the aftermarket currently dosnt offer.
Old 01-06-2015 | 06:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Got it, thanks. Yes; I know how the wheel changes angle with respect to the ground during rebound and compression... Not optimal at all. There was a good discussion either on this thread or another recently, about how the Cayman behaves at the limit (8/10-9/10) because of this rear suspension design. I wonder if for the GT four they wouldn't consider reducing some of the rear storage space to put a proper suspension back there
for a limited run car based off a current car...doubt it in my opinion Porsche would totally redesign the rear suspension and have to R&D new pick up points on the tub and all. Plus they rear suspension cost would be tremendous due to not buying parts in build from vendors for this limited run car.

I still think the Cayman GT4 will be awesome....totally awesome. However word is manual only so since I don't have a left leg to push a clutch pedal then the GT4 won't be for me.

Quick Reply: OT: Cayman GT4