Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Headliner sag

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2024, 08:10 AM
SRNH01
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Phil T, I was wondering how it was going, good points for a DIY. Were you able to release and pull the rear peg type inserts out without breaking them or tearing them away from the tray (as shown in the video). One of the Upholstery Shops I contacted told me in a previous Porsche attempt they fought trying to get them out and actually stopped the job because they were worried about doing damage. In reference to the posted video, I said that seems to be normal and mentioned the Weld Epoxy and screw approach. In my case it seems the Porsche replacement part is easily available however having it installed through a Porsche Dealership is another. When I was considering just the Fabric Replacement my goal was to stay with an OEM look (color- charcoal grey) and feel (weave) for re-sale rather than a suede finish that would be a dead giveaway. I'd be very interested in what you settled on.

Sorry, this was added after-the-0riginal post: Could you please provide the raw dimensions for the tray, just wondering how I'm going to pick it up at the Dealer, vehicle wise, i.e., SUV, Rental etc. Thanks

Last edited by SRNH01; 07-28-2024 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-28-2024, 03:08 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SRNH01
Phil T, I was wondering how it was going, good points for a DIY. Were you able to release and pull the rear peg type inserts out without breaking them or tearing them away from the tray (as shown in the video). One of the Upholstery Shops I contacted told me in a previous Porsche attempt they fought trying to get them out and actually stopped the job because they were worried about doing damage. In reference to the posted video, I said that seems to be normal and mentioned the Weld Epoxy and screw approach. In my case it seems the Porsche replacement part is easily available however having it installed through a Porsche Dealership is another. When I was considering just the Fabric Replacement my goal was to stay with an OEM look (color- charcoal grey) and feel (weave) for re-sale rather than a suede finish that would be a dead giveaway. I'd be very interested in what you settled on.

Sorry, this was added after-the-0riginal post: Could you please provide the raw dimensions for the tray, just wondering how I'm going to pick it up at the Dealer, vehicle wise, i.e., SUV, Rental etc. Thanks
So, one peg did break away from the tray and the other came down without issue. I re-attached it using the epoxy method and screw in the video. In fact I used that method on both even though one was fine. Just ran out and measured for you....43L X 47W. The issue with using the Porsche replacement part is the Eco-friendly glue they use. You're going to have the same issue in 5-7 years. It's going to be hard to find an exact match because Porsche doesn't sell Alcantara. My guy has some that is so close in color, once it's up no one will be able to tell the difference. I looked at a Alcantara swatch and the color code he's using is 9002........Phil
Old 07-29-2024, 08:17 AM
SRNH01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phil T
.43L X 47W. The issue with using the Porsche replacement part is the Eco-friendly glue they use. You're going to have the same issue in 5-7 years. It's going to be hard to find an exact match because Porsche doesn't sell Alcantara. My guy has some that is so close in color, once it's up no one will be able to tell the difference. I looked at a Alcantara swatch and the color code he's using is 9002........Phil
Phil T, Thanks for the additional information it will help in talking to the installer I mentioned + visit another with a close colored weave. So, did your installer also have a weave fabric in addition to the Suede finish Alcantara, if so, I'd be interested to know what that was. Lastly, the Alcantara you mentioned, # 9002, who is the Manufacturer since many out there. From what I am reading there's a real Leather product called Alcantara and then there's many Alcantara-like or Faux. Thanks again for your previous response.
Old 07-29-2024, 11:17 AM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Phil T, Thanks for the additional information it will help in talking to the installer I mentioned + visit another with a close colored weave. So, did your installer also have a weave fabric in addition to the Suede finish Alcantara, if so, I'd be interested to know what that was. Lastly, the Alcantara you mentioned, # 9002, who is the Manufacturer since many out there. From what I am reading there's a real Leather product called Alcantara and then there's many Alcantara-like or Faux. Thanks again for your previous response.
My guy has the Alcantara brand. I'm guessing he has other materials as well. I'll find out later this afternoon when he does my fabric. What color are you looking for? If I see it I'll get the code and brand.....Phil
Old 07-29-2024, 12:48 PM
SRNH01
Rennlist Member

What color are you looking for? If I see it I'll get the code and brand.....Phil
My interior according to the VIN Search Window sticker is "AG" Code: Standard Interior Black. The interior (seats, doors, dash) are certainly black but the headliner is a Dark Charcoal Grey. It's hard to see but when you get it out in the light it has grey tones. If your car has a black interior, I suspect you have the same.
Old 07-29-2024, 08:53 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

My interior according to the VIN Search Window sticker is "AG" Code: Standard Interior Black. The interior (seats, doors, dash) are certainly black but the headliner is a Dark Charcoal Grey. It's hard to see but when you get it out in the light it has grey tones. If your car has a black interior, I suspect you have the same.
I grabbed a picture of what might be your interior fabric. I've also added a couple photos of the liner before I was removed.

Old 07-30-2024, 06:11 AM
SRNH01
Rennlist Member

Phit T - GREAT PICS..... Somewhere along the line I came to believe "ALCANTARA" was a suede type finish, apparently, I was incorrect based on the color sample PICS you sent along. They appear to be weaves wouldn't you agree. Also, looking at your side panels they appear to be Black so one would assume your headliner is a Charcoal Grey similar to my 2014 Cayman S, the Porsche Part Number on the back of the headliner is 981555091166F2 (Black) according to my dealership so out of the sample pics which one matches your headliner unless it was recovered and not the original.
Old 07-30-2024, 10:10 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 178 Posts

@SRNH01 Alcantara is a Brand but has taken on the "Kleenex" and "Xerox" syndrome. What is in the GT4 is an Alcantara artificial suede material not what is pictured above. My understanding is that Alcantara brand automotive suede is no longer being manufactured and has limited availability. That is one of the reasons Porsche has moved to Race-Tex as a replacement. I'm sure that other manufactures make a product that is similar just make sure it is foam lined (some internet sleuthing should provide advice on what to use).
Old 07-30-2024, 06:05 PM
SRNH01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Last_935
What is in the GT4 is an Alcantara artificial suede material not what is pictured above. My understanding is that Alcantara brand automotive suede is no longer being manufactured and has limited availability. That is one of the reasons Porsche has moved to Race-Tex as a replacement.
Last_935 - Thanks for the information, as explained in an earlier post I'm looking for a Weave, not a Suede finish. Phil T was kind enough to send me PICS of color swatches of the Alcantara Brand weaves, at first glance the "KFH2469 Charcoal Black KFH246918" looks pretty close to the Factory Installed Headliner Fabric in my 2014 Cayman S, definitely a weave fabric. Now I just need to find a shop that carries that so I can physically look at the fabric, then get a quote for the job. I tried going the route with two dealerships to simple replace the OEM PN: 981555091166F2 (Black), the part itself is $576.18, but I have been unsuccessful getting any response after calling several times, even escalating to the Parts Managers. With that, I've given up and now focused on an Independent to basically perform the actions in the Video in this thread. I want to thank Phil T again for identifying the weaves, onward and forward as they say.

The following users liked this post:
Last_935 (07-31-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 09:31 AM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Quick update....Headliner is back in and the results are great! If I didn't tell you it was replaced, you would never know it. Also, let me add a couple of things for anyone that plans to tackle the job. While the guy in the video does this alone, I would suggest grabbing a friend to assist....especially if you have bucket seats. Next, remove the A-pillars completely (there are only 2 clips holding them on). Again, the job requires some patience so grab something cold to drink and have at it.......Phil
Old 08-05-2024, 09:56 AM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Last_935
@SRNH01 Alcantara is a Brand but has taken on the "Kleenex" and "Xerox" syndrome. What is in the GT4 is an Alcantara artificial suede material not what is pictured above. My understanding is that Alcantara brand automotive suede is no longer being manufactured and has limited availability.
My source was able to get the Alcantara suede and it looks and feels OEM. He has 2 different styles he uses. One with the foam backing for headliners and one without for trim pieces. So there's still some out in the wild.....Phil
The following users liked this post:
Last_935 (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 12:31 PM
SRNH01
Rennlist Member

My source was able to get the Alcantara suede and it looks and feels OEM. He has 2 different styles he uses. One with the foam backing for headliners and one without for trim pieces. So there's still some out in the wild.....Phil
Phil T - Thanks for the follow-up. Looks like your headliner is different than my '14 CS which has a weave vs suede finish, resembles the previous PIC you posted, the "KFH2469 CHARCOAL BLACK". BTW - That Alcantara line is no longer produced so for me it looks like the OEM Headliner through the dealer @ $612.17 (tax included) + $ 750.00 for install. For me my goal is to keep it OEM even at this cost.

Quick Reply: Headliner sag