Sponsored by: APR

GT4 DME Report

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 09:46 PM
993Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default GT4 DME Report

I'm headed out tomorrow to look at what appears to be a really nice GT4. I have two scanners, a Durametric, which I know can read the DME of a 2015 Cayamn S, as I had one, and an Autel 808S-TS. Can anyone confirm the ability, or lack of, to read the DME on a GT4?

Edit: Answer here.

Thanks
TG

Last edited by 993Guy; 10-13-2023 at 09:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IndigoInkTaco (10-14-2023)
Old 08-07-2024, 10:53 PM
awindmiller
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay - thank you everyone for weighing in. I decided I am going to go ahead with the car, and I feel very confident about that (especially at $55000 with 34k miles and a 7-speed). I'll share my complete thoughts below:

Here are the DME report details:
range 1: 169\322.8h
range 2: 22\313.2h
range 3: 21\313.2h
range 4: 199\313.2h
range 5: 470\313.2h
range 6: 53\313.2h
Total engine hours - 1090.74

To summarize: I had posted a DME report that indicated some over-revving, and that has been controversial (maybe for good reason) to say the least. One commenter even equated having an over-rev in range 6 as being equivalent to a salvage title (lol). The main points were:
1. Porsche wouldn't CPO this car having been to range 6
2. The car is a ticking time bomb
3. This will ruin the car's resale value

Let's put 1 and 3 to bed right now.
1. Porsche would not CPO a 2013 model anyway, period. Going a step further, this isn't even a circumstance where a CPO is relevant since I'm buying from an independent dealer and not a Porsche dealership. However, let's assume that I wanted a CPO from Porsche, and I had a time machine - this car could still qualify as it has been over 200 engine hours since the incident.
3. Some of us like to drive their cars and accept that depreciation is a thing. It's a 911, and I will still be able to get most of my money back (especially at $55k). It would be great to have 3 to 5 911s like a few commenters have, but that's not a reality for me. Though I would imagine that if that were the case, those wouldn't be daily-ed - in fact, I bet those cars rarely see the light of day. What's the fun in that? Go drive them, you may make mistakes (including, but not limited to, over-revving) but that is an expected part of using your car, and these cars are designed to be used.

Now for 2: The car is a ticking time bomb .... mmm I beg to differ. First things first, let's get the most obvious thing out of the way - it has been over 700 engine hours since the incident and the car is still running. If it were truly an issue, a failure would have reared its ugly head by now. That fact alone would make most mechanics comfortable with purchasing the car. Source? I asked four of them (and a mechanical engineer) and they all agreed the car is fine.

Nonetheless! I am a cross the t's and dot the i's type of person. I wanted to put this to bed. I paid a lot of money to have an extremely investigative PPI done by the Bay Area's most knowledgeable mechanic for modern Porsches, and it passed with flying colors. Let's break it down:
1. Test drive: First thing that was done was thorough test drive - the car was taken up through the rev range without any issue at all. No rattles, no power loss, no smoke, nothing. The "butt dyno" read the car right the first go around.
2. DME report: After the test drive the DME report was run and the mechanic was shocked to see that it had been over-revved at any point. So we decided to dig deeper.
3. Visual inspection: Aside from some swirls on the paint (easily fixable), the car looked almost like it was straight off the factory floor. Clearly never bottomed out, CV boots looked great, no oil - beautiful. I can share access to a google drive if folks are interested.
4. Oscilloscope: I opted to have an oscilloscope test done on the car to see if we could notice any issues with timing. Nothing. Everything was exactly how it should be. That most likely rules out any valvetrain or timing issues.
5. Removed and replaced the plugs: We wanted to see if the car had been burning oil. Nope. Plug tips looked exactly as they should - extra clean in fact.
6. Borescope: Next logical thing to do was stick a scope in to see if there were any cylinder wall issues. Now I know that going in through the bottom is the true teller of bore scoring, but given the lack of bore scoring with these engines, that did not register as necessary. Anyway, no scoring - cylinder walls looked perfect.
7. Compression test: The true litmus test of engine damage. Guess what? Compression was totally within spec. Not even a 5 PSI difference between any cylinders. The engine is producing power healthily, with strength.
8. Oil and filter analysis: Okay, so it wasn't like a blackstone test. But, to the test's advantage, the car was ready to have an oil change and could have accumulated metal particles by now. So we drained the oil, cut open the filter, and swirled a magnet in the used oil. Nothing stuck to the magnet and the filter was completely free of any shiny specs.

So, with all of this in mind, I'm confident saying the car is in excellent shape regardless of one over-rev incident. Clearly this only happened once and never happened again since then. The first owner just messed up a shift one time, and here we are writing off the car completely because of that. When having 53 ignitions in range 6, the car spent only 0.11 seconds there - that's the same amount of time it takes a person to blink. In range 5, it spent less than 1 second. Does that really sound like enough to pass over such a good deal? No, it doesn't.

We are all here because we love Porsche cars. We can all agree that Porsche engines are built stronger and more robust than, say, a Nissan engine or anything else out there. How many Sentras do you think are out there, being purchased used, with over-revs on them? A lot, and no one is disregarding those cars as a write off or requesting an over-rev report - people buy those all day every day and drive them well into the 100,000s miles without any issue caused by over-revving. Why do we think Porsche engines are less robust than the average car?

What most likely happened is someone just took first way too high just one time. Money shifting is also a possibility, but who knows. The car has no evidence of tracking, but perhaps someone went to a track once and messed up a shift. Big deal. If these cars were made to blow up after a single bad shift, no one would buy them.

So yes, I'm going forward with the car and I will update you all as time goes along. Wish me luck! Or not, if that's your MO.

I would like to end this post by publicly and politely asking @MingusDew to remove his comment with my VIN. He intended on making sure no one buys this car after me, based on his opinions. D*ck move.

The following users liked this post:
AngeloGTS (Yesterday)
Old 08-07-2024, 10:56 PM
awindmiller
Rennlist Member

Oops... so sorry I meant to post this on my thread.
Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM
davecramer
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

55k for a 718 GT4 is a very strange price indeed. Best of luck
I'm curious how to overrev a PDK ?
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
awindmiller
Rennlist Member

It is actually a 2013 991 911 7-speed. This post was just recommended at the bottom of my thread and I accidentally replied there. I appreciate you reading my post in any case! lol

Quick Reply: GT4 DME Report