Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981 Sypder top separation

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 05:50 PM
Arione
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Mine completely separated. I unhooked the metal ends from the elastic loops and placed it in the rear trunk. Dealer told me its just a fold placer bar for when you put the top down. They quoted me north of 6k for a new top but couldnt tell me if it was an improved version. Mine is garage kept but it does get hot in there. Been without the bar for almost 2 years now with no noticeable difference. the elastic dangles with the top up, but I just ignore it.
The following users liked this post:
dmwray (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 05:56 PM
dmwray
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My sense is the unit is the same in every way. I took it because of CPO but I would likely have followed same path as you had I been staring down that same cost to replace...
Old 08-29-2024, 04:08 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread here. My “new to me” 981 Spyder also has the “hanging rib support” as described above. Seems like a fairly straightforward DIY, but can anyone confirm an adhesive that works?

DaveGee
Old 08-31-2024, 02:11 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Resurrecting an old thread here. My “new to me” 981 Spyder also has the “hanging rib support” as described above. Seems like a fairly straightforward DIY, but can anyone confirm an adhesive that works?

DaveGee
Im the OP. I've used viscous "gel" type CA adhesives ("SuperGlue") and has worked for 2+ years. First time I used one that had a small brush for application (similar to nail polish). Subsequently, when other sections started detaching, I used one with a typical plastic nozzle. The nozzle was easier to use for me. Initially I thought the brush would help with application, but it was just annoying.

Can't remember brand and exact specs of adhesive. If I need to do repair again, I'd use whatever gel type CA glue I can get at WM, Amazon, or the grocery store.
The following users liked this post:
DaveGee (08-31-2024)

Quick Reply: 981 Sypder top separation