GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Joyeauto Apple CarPlay DIY install for CDR31 unit in my GT4

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2023 | 08:02 AM
Loraris
4th Gear

I installed the Carlinkt CDR3.1 carplay kit, which is relatively simple to install because its PCB integration is very high, there's no external module. The price is also cheaper, but there are no missing features.
https://carlinkitlife.com/boxster-cayman.........

The following 3 users liked this post by Loraris:
Gregor313 (05-15-2023), pedal bliss (10-19-2023), seatbelt123 (03-26-2023)
Old 04-12-2023 | 04:21 PM
Thescout13
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Loraris
I installed the Carlinkt CDR3.1 carplay kit, which is relatively simple to install because its PCB integration is very high, there's no external module. The price is also cheaper, but there are no missing features.
https://carlinkitlife.com/boxster-cayman.........
Can you provide more details on this? I cant seem to find install instructions anywhere? Does it use the built in microphone for example?
Old 04-13-2023 | 01:13 PM
Thescout13
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spyderdoc
H
Where did you wire your microphone to?
Old 06-10-2023 | 11:55 AM
carl s
4th Gear

Hi, just been installing this into my 981, all seemed to work Ok which is good, but the smaller control box seems to get very hot is this normal? Also looking at the Joyeauto installation video they fit the box outside the CDR unit, whereas the install video for the same CDR unit on a Cayenne installs it inside the CDR unit. Does anyone know which is right please? inside or outside the unit?

Old 06-12-2023 | 11:21 PM
spyderdoc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thescout13
Where did you wire your microphone to?
I just used some double sided tape and stuck it to the top of the steering column. You can kind of see it on the pictures I posted....One of these days, I will run it inside the steering column where the stock one is...
Old 06-28-2023 | 12:02 AM
maxsaint
AutoX

Default Sound quality

I have had joyauto on my gt4 for about two years now. CarPlay works well. My only issue has been sound quality when playing music is not same as when you are playing directly via PCM. I have played around with joyauto setting but no luck. Has anyone encountered this or has any success? Would love to know more about it.
The following users liked this post:
pedal bliss (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023 | 12:58 AM
pedal bliss
Advanced

Well i'm glad I read all this. I thought I had PCM 3.1 and got a 3.1 unit. I have CDR31 and the PCM 3.1 unit will not work it's a completely different system. I have ordered a Carlinkit unit for CDR31 (HIPO-3 - they call it) and will update you all on if that's any different.
So far this is the basics of what I know:

The Joyeauto kit works great on CDR31 systems, get a bit hot and is can be tight to place in a cayman but possible, uses Bluetooth for the microphone and the plugged mic is only used for the SIRI and android voice Ai functions. The unit also has inferior audio quality, some people have Bluetooth and other microphone issues depending on situation ymmv. Sound quality maybe same/medicore if using wired as wireless carplay. It also remember if your were last on Carplay or Porsche OS and boots directly to that at start. The button can be soldered to the Sat button in car.
The Isudar kit is for PCM3.1 and works perfectly but sometimes does not disconnect from wireless apple car play until 10 minutes after the car shuts down.
The Carlinkit CDR 31 is similar to the joyeauto kit with separate box, piggy display connector etc, usually cheaper. and has wifi 5.2 antenna so there better connection, more data, less lag when using wireless At least they claim that. It has apparently a DSP(Digital Sound Processor) so you can eq your sound, maybe this means the sound quality is thought of and won't sound terrible. This brand also comes in PCM 3.1 and PCM 4.0 which are pcb units exactly the same as the Isudar kit, rebadged.

Last edited by pedal bliss; 10-19-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-19-2023 | 08:24 AM
gt4fo
Rennlist Member

For Carlinkit CDR 31 I contacted the person who is running https://carlinkitlife.com and he sent me photos of how the unit looks and connects to the CDR31. Posting them here:

It seems like there is still an outside box that you have to have in the car, similar to the Joyeauto kit. From what I understand only Isudar does without one, but they don't support CDR31
pedal bliss (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023 | 10:10 AM
dwww
5th Gear

Originally Posted by gt4fo
For Carlinkit CDR 31 I contacted the person who is running https://carlinkitlife.com and he sent me photos of how the unit looks and connects to the CDR31. Posting them here:

It seems like there is still an outside box that you have to have in the car, similar to the Joyeauto kit. From what I understand only Isudar does without one, but they don't support CDR31
I also compared Carlinkit with Joyeauto. Their connection method is similar, but there is a difference: Joyeauto's box needs to connect ACC power , which may cause the box to remain connected to the power supply without being affected by the ignition switch. But Carlinkit doesn't need it.
However, having an outside box is not that important. Carplay connection stability and sound quality are key, aren't they?
Old 10-19-2023 | 10:10 AM
dwww
5th Gear

I also compared Carlinkit with Joyeauto. Their connection method is similar, but there is a difference: Joyeauto's box needs to connect ACC power , which may cause the box to remain connected to the power supply without being affected by the ignition switch. But Carlinkit doesn't need it.
However, having an outside box is not that important. Carplay connection stability and sound quality are key, aren't they?
Old 10-19-2023 | 10:11 AM
dwww
5th Gear

pedal bliss (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023 | 01:44 PM
pedal bliss
Advanced

I hope, the joyebox can be plugged to a empty fuse most of them are switched to ignition. the cayman 981 definitely have a spot for it bottom row.
Old 10-19-2023 | 01:49 PM
pedal bliss
Advanced

That's very helpful, I should have looked more into it before buying it.
1. I hope they use the car microphone and that mic is only for siri
2. i hope it remembers the last used OS (carplay or Porsche os)
3.Im not sure if that a dummy plug aux cable or... you have to run aux from box to the arm rest?

This does look very close to the Joyekit, with piggyback display cabling and aux dummy and separate touch inputs. Im not %100 sure where it's getting the power from, that purple LVDOUT? I don't remember that anywhere. Maybe it gets power form OG integrated wiring harness?

Last edited by pedal bliss; 10-19-2023 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-19-2023 | 02:06 PM
pedal bliss
Advanced

Oh i forgot the the carlinkit and the Isudar kit are the same for PCM 3.1. They sell it under a different name but its exactly the same. Strangely the Joyekit and the carlinkit for CDR 31 are different and isudar doesn't have one for cdr31.
Old 10-26-2023 | 02:13 AM
pedal bliss
Advanced

Originally Posted by dwww
Bad news, I just got my carlinkkit and it has the fuse for power and the diagram is different than the one in photo. Also it uses Bluetooth for sound. The device connected wirelessly to cars Bluetooth system pretending to be a phone. that's probably the worst sound quality possible. Also the diagram for my kit is slightly wrong the button is on the video cable they are labeled wrong.
Take a look at these photos:

Quick Reply: Joyeauto Apple CarPlay DIY install for CDR31 unit in my GT4