Sponsored by: APR

Finally got my New GT4

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 02:13 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Great automotive acquisition, and of course a great color! If it was a Canadian car, I guess that's "colour." Have fun...er, more fun!
Old 02-06-2019, 02:31 PM
Snowy999
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

9 hours drive to collect ! Lucky you - congratulations.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:34 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking car. Did you take any pictures of the drive?
Old 02-06-2019, 05:41 PM
jcorderojr
Instructor

Originally Posted by jkfuel
Great looking car. Did you take any pictures of the drive?
No pictures of drive.
i was in a rush to get out of the mountains before weather changed on me!!!!
Old 02-06-2019, 05:43 PM
jcorderojr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
The audio system and radio are a joke.
Only to be used for listening to AM news and Sports Talk radio.
Agree I couldn’t believe how bad tne sound was on tne “base” radio.
i have never had base radio before.
My 981 Spyder has Bose sound system
Old 02-06-2019, 06:32 PM
jcorderojr
Instructor

Default Another pic

Old 02-06-2019, 07:54 PM
jcorderojr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anu2g
If you want Bluetooth audio on the base audio (base audio only has BT for phone calls, not for audio from music/nav), you can easily install this in your glove compartment: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136911...BoCZ-UQAvD_BwE

Then, to listen to the BT audio, you'll just need to put your PCM on the AUX input.
Pardon the amateur question but how do you install this?
Old 02-07-2019, 10:54 AM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats.

Regarding getting in and out of the LWB's. I find it helps a lot to move them all the way back each time I get out, and subsequently back in. The main issue is having to move your feet slowly to ensure you don't scrape against any interior pieces, especially Alcantara ones and moving the seat back just gives you a lot more room to prevent that.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:02 AM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jcorderojr

Pardon the amateur question but how do you install this?
No worries! Feel free to DM me, but basically, this unit is a Bluetooth-to-RCA adapter. You need to run power to this unit (i.e. from the fuse box in the driver footwell) and then plug the unit's RCA cable into the RCA inputs you have in your glove compartment. 1 hour job. RL member 12vNick solders the RCA wires together instead of plugging them into the RCA inputs; I may or may not ask him to teach me.

Maybe I should write this up w/ pics.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 AM
jcorderojr
Instructor

Originally Posted by 9elheven
Great automotive acquisition, and of course a great color! If it was a Canadian car, I guess that's "colour." Have fun...er, more fun!
Alberta providence is English speaking So: “Color”
Old 02-08-2019, 10:58 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by jcorderojr

Agree I couldn’t believe how bad tne sound was on tne “base” radio.
i have never had base radio before.
My 981 Spyder has Bose sound system
Believe it or not, it could be worst. In the US (and Canada I assume) the base stereo is CDR Plus but IIRC the EU and ROW had CDR as base which is only very basic 2 speaker stereo. I find the CDR Plus good enough with a decent Bluetooth stream from my phone. It is not great but for me anyway, this car is not about listening to the stereo...

Originally Posted by Anu2g
No worries! Feel free to DM me, but basically, this unit is a Bluetooth-to-RCA adapter. You need to run power to this unit (i.e. from the fuse box in the driver footwell) and then plug the unit's RCA cable into the RCA inputs you have in your glove compartment. 1 hour job. RL member 12vNick solders the RCA wires together instead of plugging them into the RCA inputs; I may or may not ask him to teach me.

Maybe I should write this up w/ pics.
What is the advantage of the unit you are recommending? Are there really RCA ports in my GT4 glove box? I never noticed... There are several threads on this subject but most owners including myself without PCM Bluetooth media audio, simply installed a 3.5mm Bluetooth adapter that is USB powered. There are probably hundreds of models to choose from on Amazon at all different price points. There is definitely a USB and a 3.5mm port in the glove box which makes this is a plug and play 1 minute install...
Old 02-08-2019, 11:04 AM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous
Believe it or not, it could be worst. In the US (and Canada I assume) the base stereo is CDR Plus but IIRC the EU and ROW had CDR as base which is only very basic 2 speaker stereo. I find the CDR Plus good enough with a decent Bluetooth stream from my phone. It is not great but for me anyway, this car is not about listening to the stereo...

What is the advantage of the unit you are recommending? Are there really RCA ports in my GT4 glove box? I never noticed... There are several threads on this subject but most owners including myself without PCM Bluetooth media audio, simply installed a 3.5mm Bluetooth adapter that is USB powered. There are probably hundreds of models to choose from on Amazon at all different price points. There is definitely a USB and a 3.5mm port in the glove box which makes this is a plug and play 1 minute install...
Sorry, I was using 3.5mm and RCA interchangeably; it's a 3.5mm port. You could use any BT module you want; this one would just be hidden, leaving everything else appearing like stock. Your 3.5mm port and car charger ports will remain unused (and still available for other usage). May not be worth it for you, depending on how picky you are about that kind of thing. I also imagine the JL Audio piece has a better DAC (digital to analog converter) versus the various $10 BT to 3.5mm pieces, but I definitely don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a DAC debate

I agree that the car isn't about stereo audio; it's about engine audio. That being said, a buddy and I will be doing the Musicar stage 2 upgrade soon (new drop-in amp + tweeter replacement; everything else same as OEM). Not expecting to turn this car into the greatest stereo experience, but will at least get it to an acceptable level for long steady cruises where the engine audio might not be the main show.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:20 PM
jcorderojr
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart
Congrats.

Regarding getting in and out of the LWB's. I find it helps a lot to move them all the way back each time I get out, and subsequently back in. The main issue is having to move your feet slowly to ensure you don't scrape against any interior pieces, especially Alcantara ones and moving the seat back just gives you a lot more room to prevent that.
Thanks for the tip Gokart Mozart!
Also thanks for your help answering questions during my search process👍
Old 02-09-2019, 10:26 PM
OpenWheelFan
Advanced

Welcome to the GT4 family, @jcorderojr. I too researched, viewed and test drove many units, over many moons before pulling the trigger. The process took me about 7 months. ("Mine" ended up being located in Georgia and trucked to me in NorCal as part of the CPO deal.) I've had it exactly 1 year and two weeks now. Love almost everything about the car except the audio system, more specifically the hands free Bluetooth link to my iPhone. Volume doesn't increase as speed and cabin noise increases, unlike the radio tuner which has some sort of calibration device. This basically makes the functionality useless when driving. True, I didn't buy a GT4 to spend all day talking on the phone while in it. However, it would be nice to utilize the technology in hands free mode.

Curious - was your's a CPO?

Last edited by OpenWheelFan; 02-09-2019 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Add comment
Old 02-09-2019, 10:28 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Looks great! Congratulations

Quick Reply: Finally got my New GT4