GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018 | 09:51 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Agree hard to tell..does the wing look finished too?
the end caps look glossy
Old 10-14-2018 | 10:02 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

great, a new photo! Less camo, ready for a release?
Hopefully this stops the extended RWS debate...
Old 10-14-2018 | 10:45 AM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MEM82
Agree hard to tell..does the wing look finished too?
the end caps look glossy
I agree the wing looks finished too, seems we are getting closer to a finished product. I still believe LA is a possibility.

Maybe the Motorsport guys can chime in but would they ever do an unveil at the ROAR for the street car and CS?
Old 10-14-2018 | 11:43 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Nope... diffuser is still taped up. So are the wing ends.
Old 10-14-2018 | 01:32 PM
AZWCat
Instructor

Looks really sinister in all black with the Batman wing.
Old 10-14-2018 | 02:08 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
OK I have run on those, both variants (N0 and N1 - have no idea why you would want to run these in anything other than sprints, even then last resort given Cup2 N1 are wayyyyy better) - no problem with RAS ever, did a competitive hill climb today, no problem. Have used mainly MPSC2 N1 for the last year no problem. No overheating - honestly, I think you're jumping at shadows .

RAS is a great enhancement as I said, free 1.5 degrees of slip angle - why would you want to turn that down and then run on P zeros? Perhaps your mates car was stuffed. (or did you mean the new Corsas or Trofeo R). Just log corner speed of RAS Vs non-RAS.
The tires are some form of sticky DOT Pirellis that are readily available in 19" so these cars can go out and get pounded on.
The RWS when working hard can overheat. This has happened to more then one RS at the local track on the west coast. So they deleted it.
On the east coast I have not seen any RS having the same issue.....

When you are driving the car hard every weekend at the track and you have RWS issues from excessive heat, you delete it and give the car a track alignment.

It depends on your driving ability, track and average time spent on track.

I dont think a hill climb would affect it.
I raced Pikes Peak this year and barely used two or my 3 sets of tires. So doubtful a RWS car would cook the pumps.

The GT4 wouldnt benefit with RWS.
Old 10-14-2018 | 09:56 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
The GT4 wouldnt benefit with RWS.
Agreed Its not something needed on the GT4 although the multilink rear suspension from the 911 would make a significant difference. 😀

Photo was nice but it's the innards that interest me 👍
Old 10-14-2018 | 10:59 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

OK I have run on those, both variants (N0 and N1 - have no idea why you would want to run these in anything other than sprints, even then last resort given Cup2 N1 are wayyyyy better) - no problem with RAS ever, did a competitive hill climb today, no problem. Have used mainly MPSC2 N1 for the last year no problem. No overheating - honestly, I think you're jumping at shadows .

RAS is a great enhancement as I said, free 1.5 degrees of slip angle - why would you want to turn that down and then run on P zeros? Perhaps your mates car was stuffed. (or did you mean the new Corsas or Trofeo R). Just log corner speed of RAS Vs non-RAS.
How hard do you run your car?

One of the guys at our track, he runs a .1 GT3RS. He goes through a set of tires every weekend, aka 2 days, and a completely brake job every 2 weekends. That's how hard the car is being run at the track.

Are you even close to that? BTW track is 3 miles long 16 corners.

RWS is proven to be faster on short stints, like a trying for lap records at the Ring or something, or causal lapping on track days. But when you pound a car to bits like this guy, the less moving parts the better.
Old 10-15-2018 | 12:23 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy

One of the guys at our track, he runs a .1 GT3RS. He goes through a set of tires every weekend, aka 2 days, and a completely brake job every 2 weekends. That's how hard the car is being run at the track.

RWS is proven to be faster on short stints, like a trying for lap records at the Ring or something, or causal lapping on track days. But when you pound a car to bits like this guy, the less moving parts the better.
You guys at Area 27 really do drive your cars! This is where i first heard of the RWS delete on the 991.RS! Serious drivers!
Old 10-15-2018 | 06:36 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Whoopsy

On track, sprints; on road, national/state level road rallying (which means between 2 and 6 days of non-stop driving), plus other stuff too. So harder than most.

RAS is unequivocally quicker in sprints, doesn't fail in road rallying (distance up to ~ 800km, how does ~30km of stage with 120 corners sound, the run offs are trees and rocks, the roads are mixed and down to single lane).............I have no doubt you can break RAS, in motorsport you can break anything - it doesn't mean its poor or problem. In the majority of cases the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Shame there aren't any further developments wrt GT4s - however personally, I'm finding the RAS discussion interesting, but won't be deleting it anytime soon.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-15-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-15-2018 | 10:10 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

how does ~30km of stage with 120 corners sound, the run offs are trees and rocks, the roads are mixed and down to single lane
That only suggests that you can't drive anywhere near 8/10ths on those roads.
Old 10-15-2018 | 10:30 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by hf1
That only suggests that you can't drive anywhere near 8/10ths on those roads.
Thats not the case.

You drive to the level of grip that your tires allow and you do that for 10 hours a day, for up to six days (in that case the total distance is over 1000kms). You hit corners fast, you brake hard, as hard as you do on track and the cars take a lot more punishment overall. Moreover, the number of tires you're allowed is limited and there is less room for error - much less. Track is relatively easy (and I do both, and enjoy both).

You have given me an idea for a new badge tho - 8/10ths

Last edited by groundhog; 10-15-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-15-2018 | 11:03 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

...and there is less room for error - much less.
That was my point. Your brain re-calibrates the limits on those roads to account for the much smaller room for error. What feels like 10/10ths there would be equivalent to <8/10ths on the track. We all do this subconscious re-calibration. Those who don't, usually don't survive to write about it.

Old 10-15-2018 | 02:12 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

On track, sprints; on road, national/state level road rallying (which means between 2 and 6 days of non-stop driving), plus other stuff too. So harder than most.

RAS is unequivocally quicker in sprints, doesn't fail in road rallying (distance up to ~ 800km, how does ~30km of stage with 120 corners sound, the run offs are trees and rocks, the roads are mixed and down to single lane).............I have no doubt you can break RAS, in motorsport you can break anything - it doesn't mean its poor or problem. In the majority of cases the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Shame there aren't any further developments wrt GT4s - however personally, I'm finding the RAS discussion interesting, but won't be deleting it anytime soon.
On track it would be 30-40 minutes of lapping depending on fuel tank size and session time. I wouldnt call it "sprints" as it is open lapping in a street car. Typically 2 hours total track time for the day.
On a road rally (which there are only a handful of serious tarmac rallys in the world) the transits are regular street driving and the stages are not as long or as repetitive as a 30-40 minute lapping session.

It appears it takes a track with alot of steering input and little time for the system to rest to cook it..... Has to be the perfect storm which is not common thankfully.

Autoquest have devoloped a multilink style rear suspension for the GT4. Very interesting piece of kit.
Old 10-15-2018 | 09:41 PM
sigar
Rennlist Member

Certainly off topice, but what the hell we've got time to kill on this thread, anyone know the RAS weight penalty?

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?