Multi-link Rear Suspension in a GT4 Clubsport, a Short Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:52 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Multi-link Rear Suspension in a GT4 Clubsport, a Short Review

Guys,

The attraction and addiction to go fast goodies can be a strong one as most of us know all too well. To that end, I wanted to share my experience about one in particular, a suspension modification, that from a safety and drivability standpoint, may be worth considering.

Short background: I sold my 2016 GT3 because it started misfiring and I got spooked about the top end issues. The GT3 was fun, but I think some of my driving deficiencies were masked by the cars power and electronics. Moreover, I wanted to try something very different, and something perhaps more rewarding, so I sold the GT3 and bought a Clubsport via Autoquest Motorsports in FL.

I am a fairly conservative driver and not a real fast guy, but I can appreciate a safe and neutral handling car on track, so I had Autoquest install their multi-link rear suspension system in the Clubsport, and set-up the suspension and alignment. I had never driven a GT4 before, and just went directly to the multi-link, based on my conversations with other multi-link early adopters who shared that the car was totally predictable at and beyond the limit, and from a safety and confidence standpoint, the multi-link was a big improvement over stock. Two of these multi-link GT4 guys were at Road America recently, and they were railing in those cars, with one guy in the 2:25s which is pretty incredible from my perspective.

As previously posted, the multi-link was designed by a veteran motorsports suspension engineer, Jay O’Connell, in collaboration with Gavin Riches, a seasoned racer with a rally background, and a set-up guru. Those of you may have heard of Jay before, some not, but he most recently worked with the Ford GT team at Le Mans. Sixty plus years of experience at the highest level of motorsports between the two guy’s works for me, so I broke out the plastic without too much hesitation. Plus the wife is pro-safety, so that helped.

So what is the car like? I have since driven the car at Sebring, Road Atlanta, AMP, and now Road America. I can share that the car is compliant and confidence inspiring. No understeer or oversteer surprises, just neutrality. Throttle induced oversteer is easily managed. The car is set up on the soft side and is low and raked. It has never gotten out of shape from bottoming out or oversteer or break-away, even with Gavin driving and me as a passenger with half a tank at Sebring. Gavin is a low teens guy at Sebring, and I can share that it was an eye opening experience riding right seat with him there!

Another blessing: I was fortunate to have a senior driving instructor for the Porsche Sport Driving School NA drive the car at Road America for an entire DE session with me in the right seat. He was there coaching some Goldcrest supported Cup Car guys at the PCA races. In short, it was a thrilling ride and the car got a big thumbs up for its drivability and neutrality. That made me feel extra good about my investment.

Best to all,

Josh G.

Last edited by unclejosh; 09-08-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:44 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,361 Likes on 829 Posts

MY $0.02

The review sounds more like a prewritten advertisement than a review. Especially since no comparison to a regular clubsport setup is included or with all that name dropping that was in the AM introduction thread for this multilink setup.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:11 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the comment.

​​​​​​What convinced me to try this was the guys mentioned in the review who had experienced the "before" multi-link and then the after. The people involved did help me reach the decision to invest as well.

Did not mean to sound like an advert, just wanted to share, and I enjoy writing.

Regards

Last edited by unclejosh; 09-05-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:25 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by unclejosh
Thanks for the comment.

​​​​​​What convinced me to try this was the guys mentioned in the review who had experienced the "before" multi-link and then the after. The people involved did help me reach the decision to invest as well.

Did not mean to sound like an advert, just wanted to share, and I enjoy writing.

Regards
You sounded like a happy customer to me.

On ExMB's side I would like to hear from GT4 owners making the switch with before and after opinions and a bit of data.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:01 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I know Josh, as we're both fairly local in NorCal. I didn't see much of him out on track. However, there were two street GT4s there that I did play with over many sessions. They were extremely well driven and extremely fast. So much so that I had to stop and chat, hoping to learn why. Turns out both of the cars have this rear suspension mod. Needless to say, it's now on my to-do list!
Old 09-05-2017, 10:45 PM
NineOneAutosport
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unclejosh and 24Chromium, It was nice chatting with you at Road America over the weekend. To the others this may sound like a advert, but to me it sounds like another convert. I was the shop that installed the rear multilink and setup those two street GT4s. I worked side by side with Jay as he taught me the proper install procedure, and followed Gavin's alignment specifications. THE REAR MULTILINK WORKS!!! and has been tested thoroughly, if Sebring cant break it I'm not sure it ever will.

Both street GT4s sport a full interior (that's right nothing removed) rollover protection, and driver restraint.

Headers, Throttle Body, Intake and Cobb tune

Forge line Wheels

I had a AIM Solo dl in the light silver car during the 2:25 lap, unfortunately the new camera system didn't record the session. Side note it did record the cool down lap lol
I will post AIM Data and SmartyCam video of the best lap we were able to capture, I think 2:26.5??? I will also post some Data Pre Multilink

More to come...
Old 09-05-2017, 11:38 PM
Jasonanv
Advanced

What's the cost?
Old 09-06-2017, 10:57 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jasonanv
What's the cost?
Good question. Cost - benefit ratio may not be enough for some to go that route especially if the installation and setup instruction are such that they require training or a specific location.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:04 PM
NineOneAutosport
4th Gear

Aim Solo screen shot of the fastest laps, unfortunately no video for the 2:25.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2017, 10:06 PM
NineOneAutosport
4th Gear

Video of the SLOW laps.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:10 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NineOneAutosport
unclejosh and 24Chromium, It was nice chatting with you at Road America over the weekend. To the others this may sound like a advert, but to me it sounds like another convert. I was the shop that installed the rear multilink and setup those two street GT4s. I worked side by side with Jay as he taught me the proper install procedure, and followed Gavin's alignment specifications. THE REAR MULTILINK WORKS!!! and has been tested thoroughly, if Sebring cant break it I'm not sure it ever will.

Both street GT4s sport a full interior (that's right nothing removed) rollover protection, and driver restraint.

Headers, Throttle Body, Intake and Cobb tune

Forge line Wheels

I had a AIM Solo dl in the light silver car during the 2:25 lap, unfortunately the new camera system didn't record the session. Side note it did record the cool down lap lol
I will post AIM Data and SmartyCam video of the best lap we were able to capture, I think 2:26.5??? I will also post some Data Pre Multilink

More to come...
Originally Posted by NineOneAutosport
Video of the SLOW laps. https://youtu.be/mlGMzdRgGjw
How is a video supposed to show the advantage of the multi link when driver skill and setup could be more of the determining factor? In addition the car driven in that video has a lot more mods that come into play based on your post..

BTW, you may also want to register as a vendor.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:22 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

No pictures, camber diagrams, prices or web site?
This is a very strange way to sell a product.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,575 Likes on 824 Posts

Nice lap
Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

I think the selling point would be a before and after by a seasoned driver, a camber curve graph comparing OEM Struts. Price would be nice, difficulty of install, etc. I agree with EXMB, this is a happy customer testimonial, not a detailed review for us engineer nerds/enthusiasts.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:11 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
No pictures, camber diagrams, prices or web site?
This is a very strange way to sell a product.
Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I think the selling point would be a before and after by a seasoned driver, a camber curve graph comparing OEM Struts. Price would be nice, difficulty of install, etc. I agree with EXMB, this is a happy customer testimonial, not a detailed review for us engineer nerds/enthusiasts.

Hello Everyone!

Just to clear things up a bit, at this time we are the Sole Distributor of our Multi Link System being run on all the cars reviewed in this thread, and an authorized vendor here on the forums. That being said, a huge THANK YOU to those who are running our system and/or have experienced it first hand, and took the time to post up their testimonials of the system in action. All of your kind words are very much appreciated! Although I've been teasing it here and there, we weren't quite expecting the cat to be completely out of the bag with such excellent interest so quickly haha.

The official product release on our Multi Link Rear Suspension Kit (designed and tested for over 18 months in collaboration with Formula One/Le Mans/IMSA engineer Jay O'Connell) has been in the works by me personally, and I had planned to post it this week along with a full webpage on our site. All the data you are looking for...(costs, suspension geometry, research and development, track testing, etc) is coming and coming shortly.

Unfortunately we had to delay the product release, website update and answers to all your questions due to significant hurricane prep as we are about to take a Category 4 Irma head on this weekend. Fingers crossed we (and the rest of the Floridians) make it through okay. Keep us all in your prayers.

If anyone is sincerely interested in this system and learning more about it before the official release, my cell phone is 484 883 6197. Please feel free to call me any time, I would be happy to fill you in on the nitty gritty of this system and how it alone has without question transformed the GT4's performance. If necessary for direct driver feedback, I will put you on the line with our owner Gavin who personally has several thousand track miles of back to back testing at various tracks with the system, 2500+ miles just in endurance testing the production version on Sebring. Incidentally, Gavin now holds the GT4 lap record around Sebring at a 2:17.53 and well as some other tracks we can discuss if you'd like. Whatever you need for validation and education on the system, we will gladly arrange for you to receive it to make an educated decision moving forward.

P.S.: Jacey you could have know all about this system already lol. I left you a VM the other day to chat about it and setting up an installer in Texas, give me a ring back when you have a chance. As you are quite the technical one among us, I have some camber, toe and roll center graphs to tease you with. Make sure you're sitting down when you look at them, we set our expectations to meet the suspension geometry of the 997 RSR...we exceeded those goals

Last edited by AutoQuest Motorsports; 09-08-2017 at 01:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Multi-link Rear Suspension in a GT4 Clubsport, a Short Review