Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Silver Rocket

Anyone install a Chill out

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 02:26 AM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

@38D Thanks for those links, that Riley unit looks interesting but like the Kustom Komponents probably falls in the stupid expensive range... Looking more like the Chillout unit is the answer.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:34 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by zip465
@38D Thanks for those links, that Riley unit looks interesting but like the Kustom Komponents probably falls in the stupid expensive range... Looking more like the Chillout unit is the answer.
The Riley AC lists for $11,750 with no condenser, lines or wiring.

Last edited by 38D; 04-28-2022 at 09:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 38D:
porshyche (08-18-2023), zip465 (04-28-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 08:40 AM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Mostly finished install. Just some tidying up left to do.

Old 05-03-2022, 11:27 AM
rimbytx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to get one in my car. It looks like the photos of installations are the 'Pro' system. Has anyone been successful with the V3 cooler?
Old 05-03-2022, 12:14 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Mine right above is the V3^.
Old 05-04-2022, 02:41 PM
rimbytx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. Looks like they changed the exit vents for more flow. Let us know how it performs.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:41 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a GT3 (street legal) and was wondering if I can install on the rear package shelf (where the "seat" would be in a regular 911). I don't know how I'd wire it - would cigarette lighter work or is that not sufficient power (or really current).

But I don't want to put that NACA duct thing in a street car. Then again, I always have to run with the windows open anyway. So while the ambient air in the car is possibly warmer than outside air, I'd guess its not by much. Would this work?
Old 05-24-2022, 01:47 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rimbytx
Thanks. Looks like they changed the exit vents for more flow. Let us know how it performs.
Just used it last week for the first time. Woow! Works beautifully! Highly recommend the system. So nice being able to control the specific temp of the coolant. I set it to about 55-60*C and was sharp all day long.

Originally Posted by srwhitman
I have a GT3 (street legal) and was wondering if I can install on the rear package shelf (where the "seat" would be in a regular 911). I don't know how I'd wire it - would cigarette lighter work or is that not sufficient power (or really current).

But I don't want to put that NACA duct thing in a street car. Then again, I always have to run with the windows open anyway. So while the ambient air in the car is possibly warmer than outside air, I'd guess its not by much. Would this work?
You probably don't need the ducting, but you'll need to drill into your car's body to install rivnuts to hold the thing in place...
Most cig lighters are 10 amps max and this thing draws up to 30 amps so you'll have to run some properly fused wiring directly to the battery through the front firewall.
Ducting feeds cool air into the system which allows the unit to not have to work so hard. When it works less it draws less amperage.
Check out the alternator for your car and you should find an amperage rating for it. My 2014 cup originally had a 90A unit which would be cutting it real close with everything else running. In 2015 it got updated to 150amps and in 2018 I believe its up to 180A.

Last edited by carbondan; 05-24-2022 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:49 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Have you installed it yet?

I'm also in Austin with a 992 GT3. I just ordered the system from CMS and looking to have Soul Speed install it.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:15 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

@raymort - were you at COTA doing time trials this weekend? I think I met you. I didn't have my car but you were getting 2:21? Anyway, no I've not ordered it yet. I used to have Soulspeed do my work but now I do some on my own or have Chris @ Performance Moto2 do it. I've heard good things about W2W and Kyle from Soulspeed is now there - he knows his way around these cars.

Do you have a list of what you bought? I wasn't sure about the cooling hoses and what all is needed.

My other car is a Ginetta and thats where I will be getting all sorts of stuff for it (ducting and whatnot) and after that I would have the mount for the Chillout and whatever wiring is needed to put into my 991.2 GT3. You can just hot swap (ha ha) the main unit.

I heard the Chillout systems are on backorder though..

Finally, I currently have a CoolShirt bag system but wasn't sure if the Chillout shirt is compatible with that. My Coolshirt is not fire safe so I want to get a new shirt but use in both systems. There are other cases where I still need the Coolshirt (another car that the Chillout will just not work in).
Old 06-14-2022, 04:00 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

@raymort - were you at COTA doing time trials this weekend? I think I met you. I didn't have my car but you were getting 2:21? Anyway, no I've not ordered it yet. I used to have Soulspeed do my work but now I do some on my own or have Chris @ Performance Moto2 do it. I've heard good things about W2W and Kyle from Soulspeed is now there - he knows his way around these cars.

Do you have a list of what you bought? I wasn't sure about the cooling hoses and what all is needed.

My other car is a Ginetta and thats where I will be getting all sorts of stuff for it (ducting and whatnot) and after that I would have the mount for the Chillout and whatever wiring is needed to put into my 991.2 GT3. You can just hot swap (ha ha) the main unit.

I heard the Chillout systems are on backorder though..

Finally, I currently have a CoolShirt bag system but wasn't sure if the Chillout shirt is compatible with that. My Coolshirt is not fire safe so I want to get a new shirt but use in both systems. There are other cases where I still need the Coolshirt (another car that the Chillout will just not work in).
Yep, I was there and finished with a 2:20.884.

I had ordered the V3 unit, but after talking to some people and the owner of Chillout, I am going with the Quantum Pro unit. I believe it will be strong enough to not have to run the intake hoses around. According to Chillout, the V3 isn't recommended for the GT3.

Without installing hoses, the install now looks much easier. I'll just have someone run the power to the battery and use some roll bar mounts to mount the box to the cage.

The owner sent an email back saying I could call him for additional help.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:16 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

2:20! That is AWESOME. Let me know next time you go to COTA - obviously we don't have exactly the same car but close. Mine is a manual so I figure I lose a sec or 2 just shifting gears the old fashioned way. But I'd like to learn from you.

I think my installer had contacted Charles (the owner) as well a while back. Why did he think Quantum was better? More capacity?

Also, where are you going to put it? I have a GMG harness (roll) bar but I still think it could fit behind that on the little package shelf behind the driver. I do not have the carbon buckets. I used to but I pulled them out (they were just too upright for me) and I switched to the Sparco SPX which does slide forward so I could install and remove the cooler. I know you need some sort of hoses to run to the shirt and you need to fill the system with coolant ahead of time (I think they provide a mix).
Old 06-14-2022, 08:26 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

2:20! That is AWESOME. Let me know next time you go to COTA - obviously we don't have exactly the same car but close. Mine is a manual so I figure I lose a sec or 2 just shifting gears the old fashioned way. But I'd like to learn from you.

I think my installer had contacted Charles (the owner) as well a while back. Why did he think Quantum was better? More capacity?

Also, where are you going to put it? I have a GMG harness (roll) bar but I still think it could fit behind that on the little package shelf behind the driver. I do not have the carbon buckets. I used to but I pulled them out (they were just too upright for me) and I switched to the Sparco SPX which does slide forward so I could install and remove the cooler. I know you need some sort of hoses to run to the shirt and you need to fill the system with coolant ahead of time (I think they provide a mix).
Thanks!

I’m also in a manual, btw.

I upgraded to the quantum pro. As I understand it, it should handle things without the hose. I am getting some roll bar adapters to mount it in the rear area.

I’ll be there for Chin on the 25th/26th. I’ll also be there for the EA night event and PCA late July.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:10 AM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 83 Posts

I’m considering going with the ChillOut System as part of my offseason project. I’ve had the Coolshirt system with a helmet blower which seems to work for a short time and then the ice melts.. Any opinions on the Pro system vs the V3? I’m going to get the helmet cooler unit as well. Based on reading I’m going to just assume I’d have to get a dual NACA duct to pull air in for each unit? Is there a need to vent air for these systems out of the car as well or just in? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:44 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA964993
I’m considering going with the ChillOut System as part of my offseason project. I’ve had the Coolshirt system with a helmet blower which seems to work for a short time and then the ice melts.. Any opinions on the Pro system vs the V3? I’m going to get the helmet cooler unit as well. Based on reading I’m going to just assume I’d have to get a dual NACA duct to pull air in for each unit? Is there a need to vent air for these systems out of the car as well or just in? Thanks for the help.
I considered both the Pro and the V3. I was told if you are installing this in a car for doing endurance races of 4, 8, 12 or 24hr duration with multiple drivers swapping out then you'd want the Pro. For doing 1 to 2 hour races, the V3 is more than enough. The price delta was about $2K so I thought I'd give the V3 a try. Will be installing it over the winter. We will be running a 4" duct from the unit up under the dash and drawing air from the area of where the cabin filter would normally reside on a street car as the base of the windshield is an area where high pressure builds up.

Quick Reply: Anyone install a Chill out