Sponsored by: Silver Rocket

Track day coverage

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 09:55 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Track day coverage

What kind of valuation should be considered for a 981 Clubsport for track day coverage?
Old 04-06-2021, 11:17 PM
mecho
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do 100K on a car that is worth about 120K. With the 5% deductible they would cut a check for 95K if totaled. Enough coverage to keep me in the game and interested in finding a replacement if I crash. These cars are very expensive to fix so I think you need to have enough to feel somewhat whole when they total your car and hand you a check. I'm guessing there are many different perspectives on this topic.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:44 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Depends on what you have. base, 100L, MR, MR Evo?
Old 04-07-2021, 06:33 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
Depends on what you have. base, 100L, MR, MR Evo?
100L, AC, dual master cylinder
Old 04-07-2021, 08:00 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Ok then I’d agree with the 120k value. How much you want to insure is based on how much of a loss you’re willing to take.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:17 AM
Outlaw 06
Instructor

Received 293 Likes on 120 Posts

For what it's worth, I haven't gotten track day (HPDE insurance) coverage in years. My ONLY (very slight) concern when tracking my street cars is the (very slight) chance of another car laying down oil or coolant on the racing line, which could cause a spin. I've seen this happen in races, but never at an HPDE. In fact, incidents are so rare at HPDEs that extra insurance seems unnecessary to me.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:38 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
For what it's worth, I haven't gotten track day (HPDE insurance) coverage in years. My ONLY (very slight) concern when tracking my street cars is the (very slight) chance of another car laying down oil or coolant on the racing line, which could cause a spin. I've seen this happen in races, but never at an HPDE. In fact, incidents are so rare at HPDEs that extra insurance seems unnecessary to me.
wow you’ve been lucky. I’ve had and seen multiple incidents over the years in racing and DE. Coolant, oil, and crashes in DE more often than racing.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:11 AM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

On this subject, yall are talking about property loss insurance, which I am currently considering for my new car as well. However, places like OpenTrack also have a Liability component available. At first, I thought why, when we all sign our life away upon entry to track and event organizer. So, I called to talk to them about this component. Supposedly, those signoffs really just protect them - hold harmless, not really protecting us from being sued by another driver for an incident which they think you caused. This goes outside the possibility of a gentlemens agreement to help fix the other guys car. Apparently, the liability covers damage to others vehicles and track damage as well.

Thus, am curious any thoughts about liability addition? BTW, your personal Umbrella policy you may have does not cover this according to my Nationwide agent.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:07 AM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Raider89
On this subject, yall are talking about property loss insurance, which I am currently considering for my new car as well. However, places like OpenTrack also have a Liability component available. At first, I thought why, when we all sign our life away upon entry to track and event organizer. So, I called to talk to them about this component. Supposedly, those signoffs really just protect them - hold harmless, not really protecting us from being sued by another driver for an incident which they think you caused. This goes outside the possibility of a gentlemens agreement to help fix the other guys car. Apparently, the liability covers damage to others vehicles and track damage as well.

Thus, am curious any thoughts about liability addition? BTW, your personal Umbrella policy you may have does not cover this according to my Nationwide agent.
Not sure anyone would have luck trying to sue you for on track damage to their car unless they can prove it was deliberate. Its easy to argue you assume a rather large amount of risk once you enter a track.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:37 PM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
What kind of valuation should be considered for a 981 Clubsport for track day coverage?
I see at least one major incident per DE event at just about every event I attend. At Shenandoah I have seen as many as five cars totaled at a single weekend event. With that in mind, track insurance was a no brainer for us.

$115,000 to $140,000 is the current price range for 981 Clubsports in the US. We just paid $125,000 for a low mileage excellent condition base model with the only extra feature being the Recaro P1300 seat. We insure it with Hagerty (Opentrack) annual policy for DE events at a $135,000 value with 5% deductible because we added $10k in upgrades after we purchased it. Our policy includes 4 other cars with equal or lower value and my wife and I as primary drivers. It also includes a $1M liability rider. We could insure for less but the policy cost difference between $95k and $135k was very little. Our total policy was around $7k a year. We also got a separate policy for added coverage for the vehicle when NOT on the track. This covers damage while on the trailer (excluded by your auto policy) in our home garage or warehouse (excluded by homeowners policy) or anywhere the car is located that is not a race track. Hope this help.

Jeff

Last edited by jbaker136; 04-07-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:43 AM
amurph182
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jbaker136
I see at least one major incident per DE event at just about every event I attend. At Shenandoah I have seen as many as five cars totaled at a single weekend event. With that in mind, track insurance was a no brainer for us.
this. Exceptionally rare in my experience to NOT have at least one black flag per day for a crash or fluid (or crash AND fluid, thanks to people deciding to drive all the way back to the pit after hitting something in turn 1 and then dripping god knows what all over the racing line, which should get you banned IMHO) and one big wreck per weekend. I’ve only had one encounter with fluid on the track (that I’m aware of) and a) I never saw it, even looking at the video after and b) immediate total loss of control. Track insurance for me every time.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:02 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
Guess again, we lost a Turbo S at a recent HPDE in a horrific crash caused by you guessed it fluid on the track at the fastest point 160mph. Fortunately the driver only sustained a broken leg. Another guy in our region lost his GT3RS at Laguna Seca in a similarly caused crash.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:55 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

It can happen to any one, on any track, at any time. I might think that coolant and oil spills are more common in HPDE use compared to racing, as some of the (hate to say it) ****boxes that show up for track days can be in various states of disrepair, whereas racing cars are generally maintained more carefully.

I've now got a cantrell roll bar, 6 point harness, and scroth HANS device in my GT3 but still feel uneasy about the safety. Next step for me personally is something like a GT4 CS, or 458 Challenge, primarily for the added safety features.

For what it's worth, I have a $200k agreed value policy, with liability protection, with OpenTrack for both my GT3 and viper ACR-E, unlimited track days for 1 year. $9,100 including taxes and fees.

Last edited by carbondan; 04-08-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:28 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by carbondan
It can happen to any one, on any track, at any time. I might think that coolant and oil spills are more common in HPDE use compared to racing, as some of the (hate to say it) ****boxes that show up for track days can be in various states of disrepair, whereas racing cars are generally maintained more carefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhjJJGvdO7c

I've now got a cantrell roll bar, 6 point harness, and scroth HANS device in my GT3 but still feel uneasy about the safety. Next step for me personally is something like a GT4 CS, or 458 Challenge, primarily for the added safety features.

For what it's worth, I have a $200k agreed value policy, with liability protection, with OpenTrack for both my GT3 and viper ACR-E, unlimited track days for 1 year. $9,100 including taxes and fees.
I remember seeing the footage of that crash from one of the other cars....that was gnarly.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:05 AM
Chris P Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
You have to realize that the 981/718 chassis are much more susceptible to total loss due to the aluminum structure than say a 987.

Quick Reply: Track day coverage