Sponsored by: Silver Rocket

Track day coverage

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 12:15 PM
Outlaw 06
Instructor

Received 293 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Guess again, we lost a Turbo S at a recent HPDE in a horrific crash caused by you guessed it fluid on the track at the fastest point 160mph. Fortunately the driver only sustained a broken leg. Another guy in our region lost his GT3RS at Laguna Seca in a similarly caused crash.
I didn’t say that I never saw crashes at HPDEs.

In my opinion, the HPDE crashes I’ve witnessed boil down to three basic driver issues: Poor judgement, inattention, and/or poor technique (e.g. running out of talent before running out of horsepower). Of course, there are exceptions. However, I’m truly not worried about crashing due to those three basic driver issues, so I’m willing to accept the (very slight) risk of not being able to handle an oiled down racing line during an HDPE. Even though it's something that I may have no control over, the chance of that happening is also so slight to me, that I’m willing to accept that risk with no supplemental track insurance. That’s just MY level of risk tolerance, so other people’s will certainly vary.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:15 PM
random911
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys, this has been very helpful for me to read as I am considering OpenTrack for a GT3RS (180K value) and a C4S (90k), with an additional driver and the 7K yearly policy was getting slightly under my skin for the unused winter months, but now that I also drift track in the winter, and reading your comments, I am feeling better about it.

I will say I have tracked without insurance, and now that I look back at it, you guys are right: at every other event, I have seen cooler spills, black flags, cars (lambos!) on the grass, and I once went into the grass myself. Some cognitive dissonance I'll say, haha. I won't track without insurance going forward.

What gets me, though, is really the lack of OpenTrack coverage for the paddock, that seems like it should be a no brainer for an HPDE, because regular car insurance does not cover paddock, and opentrack does not cover paddock, and we spend 3/4 of the time on the paddock. I do AutoCross events in my C4S which happen on the paddock, so no coverage for those, and I have seem some crazy things happen there, for example, a couple weekends ago at PCA AX in Portland we saw two cars full throttle on 2nd gear going for the same intersection, and I remember thinking "don't crash, don't die and omg, no paddock insurance!!".

Old 04-10-2021, 03:13 PM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by random911
Thanks guys, this has been very helpful for me to read as I am considering OpenTrack for a GT3RS (180K value) and a C4S (90k), with an additional driver and the 7K yearly policy was getting slightly under my skin for the unused winter months, but now that I also drift track in the winter, and reading your comments, I am feeling better about it.

I will say I have tracked without insurance, and now that I look back at it, you guys are right: at every other event, I have seen cooler spills, black flags, cars (lambos!) on the grass, and I once went into the grass myself. Some cognitive dissonance I'll say, haha. I won't track without insurance going forward.

What gets me, though, is really the lack of OpenTrack coverage for the paddock, that seems like it should be a no brainer for an HPDE, because regular car insurance does not cover paddock, and opentrack does not cover paddock, and we spend 3/4 of the time on the paddock. I do AutoCross events in my C4S which happen on the paddock, so no coverage for those, and I have seem some crazy things happen there, for example, a couple weekends ago at PCA AX in Portland we saw two cars full throttle on 2nd gear going for the same intersection, and I remember thinking "don't crash, don't die and omg, no paddock insurance!!".
Regular auto insurance covers damage in the paddock as this is not a "racing or hpde activity" but you cannot get regular auto insurance for a Clubsport so there is the gap. For my Street legal cars, they are covered under normal auto insurance on the trailer, in the paddock and anywhere not on the designated "track" and then the HPDE insurance covers them on the track. For the Clubsport I have one policy from Hagerty for any damage not on the track and another HPDE policy for damage on the track. Sucks to need two policies but it is what it is because I choose not to self insure and I would also never argue with anyone who feels fine taking the risk to self insure.

Jeff
Old 04-10-2021, 03:43 PM
random911
Intermediate

Oh, bummer I see. Yeah, that's rough for the club sport. Regardless, track + street = two policies.

Are you sure that regular auto insurance works in the paddock? I spent an hour with my insurance agent last week, trying to find the best option and coverage gaps, he had called all the track insurance companies before our meeting, and that was one of the findings, or maybe I misunderstood something.

If you take the open track days as opposed to full year, is that consecutive days or can you cherry pick events?
Old 04-11-2021, 12:25 PM
zracer196
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 70 Posts

Question. If you get $50K of coverage and total your $100K RACE car does the insurance company pay you your money (minus deductible) and keep your car?

Or do you keep it (so you can part out of wanted)?
Old 04-11-2021, 12:47 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I specifically talked to OpenTrack about this, caution here. They can/will take the car for their $50k coverage. That leaves you self insuring the balance of its value, and no car. I am normally a fan of some degree of self insurance, but this situation is all in favor of the Insurer. IMO, either carry appropriate valuation coverage or do with out.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:58 PM
random911
Intermediate

I got rear ended last year, resulting in the car getting totalled. The insurance company gives you a check, and takes the car. You get to keep the plates.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:59 AM
random911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by random911
If you take the open track days as opposed to full year, is that consecutive days or can you cherry pick events?
Answering my question: I just called OpenTrack, days must be consecutive, and at the same track. HPDE Organizations, can be different. And paddock is covered under regular auto insurance.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:01 AM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Well speak of the devil. Just yesterday a Corvette blows up in front of me, on the front straight, while I'm doing nearly 150 MPH, fortunately I didn't spin but I definitely felt the 'oh ****' loss of control as I tried to brake through his oil. Could've been nasty!

(start the video at 2:30 to get to the oil spill)

The following users liked this post:
BlackOptic (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 08:42 AM
Chris P Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 57 Posts

Looks like a cool track... I've been a victim of the COLFM. (Corvette Oil Line Failure Mode). No damage just car control practice....
Old 04-19-2021, 09:42 AM
amurph182
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

When I see a car in front of my suddenly start smoking I usually ease off the gas to give myself some room in case it all goes to hell. Now that I think about it though, is that the right thing to do? Would the weight shift forward right when you hit the slick stuff make it harder to control the car?
Old 04-19-2021, 11:58 AM
random911
Intermediate

Yikes. Yes, got the insurance for last weekend too and very happy to have done so. On Friday, a car was leaking fluid on the race line, super hard to avoid, traction control saved the car. Happy to have bought insurance.
carbondan (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 07:38 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 796 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by amurph182
When I see a car in front of my suddenly start smoking I usually ease off the gas to give myself some room in case it all goes to hell. Now that I think about it though, is that the right thing to do? Would the weight shift forward right when you hit the slick stuff make it harder to control the car?
Backing off is almost always the right move.
airindia33 (08-09-2022)
Old 04-24-2021, 10:40 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Coincidentally...

As I’m reading this thread a text stream rolls in from a couple buddies
2 cars down at Blackhawk DE yesterday
and a GTB1 cayman balled up at BIR yesterday

how/why? Does it matter?

insurance is like a lawyer...you hate it til you need it