Sponsored by: Silver Rocket

Data and video options for the 718 GT4 Clubsport

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 07:22 PM
dudical26
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, you can. For the SmartyCam, you could add a bridge adn an antenna or use the V2.2 GP and an antenna and connect it to the same port on the passenger side sill or footwell as the HD2.

Most folks default to the HD2 because so it's easy and fast to figure out what to do next, but the in-car is helpful to a few folks. I think there is a good chance that there will be a three-camera solution later next year...

I've sold this combo to a few folks with 981 and 718 ClubSports.
How would the HD2 + AIM SC work? Would the VBOX system then capture video from all 3 cameras? Or would you end up with 2 sets of videos?
Old 12-29-2021, 09:51 PM
dudical26
Rennlist Member

Hi Peter,

This is a bit of a tangent but on the HD2 with OLED display, do they come with the red/green LED to indicate faster/slower on predictive.
A video on the VBOX website shows these LED's. But on the product page for both the black and blue OLED display boxes, I don't see the LED's visible.

Old 12-30-2021, 09:55 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,973 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Originally Posted by thuggo
....Put me on the list for the 3 camera system....
Will call you in 2023, when it’s here!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-30-2021, 10:09 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dudical26
How would the HD2 + AIM SC work? Would the VBOX system then capture video from all 3 cameras? Or would you end up with 2 sets of videos?
It’s important to realize that no manufacturers build systems that incorporate any other manufacturers video, only some will incorporate other system’s data.

The value of either the AiM or the VBOX is the information recorded on the background of the video. Most people, after using both, end up using the VBOX every time, simply easier and quicker to get more valuable information out it it, as opposed to just watching a video from a SmartyCam..

You would end up with two sets of video. One 720p single camera view from the SmartyCam and one Picture in Picture at 1080p video with the data easily accessible in the same window with the HD2.

AiM has recently offered a software update to show limited, slow sampled data with the video in the same window, but it’s clunky to use.

It all boils down to what you want. If that view you have posted is what you want, by all means continue to use that, maybe add another SmartyCam using a Data Hub out the back of the car and pass on the HD2.

Or add the HD2 and use it as your primary video/data system (which most MoTeC/Cosworth users do) and periodically review the AiM video for what you’re looking for.

It’s shocking to me the number of IMSA/SRO/PCC-NA teams that are now bypassing the Cosworth/MoTeC/AiM systems in their cars and go directly into debrief using the VBOX first. It means it’s the most valuable way to glean the most important information, simply by saving massive amounts of time.

I’ve had dozens of folks move from AiM to VBOX, I’ve had one move from VBOX to AiM. I have less than a handful (out of five hundred plus VBOX and more than a thousand SmartyCams sold) who use both.

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-30-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hi Peter,

This is a bit of a tangent but on the HD2 with OLED display, do they come with the red/green LED to indicate faster/slower on predictive.

A video on the VBOX website shows these LED's. But on the product page for both the black and blue OLED display boxes, I don't see the LED's visible.
Actually, the VBOX Lap Timer (the video that you’ve posted) is a standalone logger and lap timer that shows not only faster/slower on predictive lap timing (which just about all systems do) but also faster/slower AT ANY GIVEN POINT in SPEED!

THIS is groundbreaking, because even in the study of whether you are doing quicker segments, you still don’t know within the segment where the gain or loss is in VEHICLE SPEED, which to me is where most drivers need to work on to get quicker.

The black ABS and blue anodized OLED Predictive Lap Timing displays do not have the RGB (multi-color in a single LED) like the VBOX Lap Timer or Pit Lane Timer, additional hardware which adds cost and complexity to the display. The LED equipped VBOX Lap Timer and Pit Lane Timer are not compatible with the HD2 for full featured operation.

A fair number of people who have discovered how valuable delta-V is have purchased the Performance Box Touch (same price as a Solo 2 DL from AiM) that has these LED’s and is a standalone device.

I do anticipate introduction this spring of a display usable with the VBOX HD2 that has these RGB LED’s in it, and comes in a smaller package.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:23 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks, all. I am SOLD OUT of all VBOX and AiM products at this time.

I expect VBOX HD2’s the first or second week of February, current generation SmartyCams and Solo 2 DL’s by the end of January and the new versions of the AiM SmartyCams (1080P) in late March/early April.

Thanks to the RL community for your fantastic support!
Old 12-31-2021, 04:29 PM
dudical26
Rennlist Member

Hey Peter,

What is the difference between these 2 channels?

Throttle pedal position
Throttle position sensor
Old 12-31-2021, 06:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hey Peter,

What is the difference between these 2 channels?

Throttle pedal position
Throttle position sensor
Throttle pedal position is what your foot is actually doing, hence a window into your mind showing confidence, uncertainty and everything in between.

Throttle position sensor is the actual butterfly position on the intake of the engine itself. "After nannies" is the most succinct description.

By comparing both, you can see the level of "interference" the car introduces using stability control and other aids to slow the application of or even come off the throttle, even though your foot doesn't move.

For driver coaching and performance analysis, I look at throttle pedal position only, as I can't do anything about the car.

Quick Reply: Data and video options for the 718 GT4 Clubsport