Data and video options for the 718 GT4 Clubsport

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 05:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,974 Likes on 1,747 Posts

Originally Posted by MC129
Does the VBOX and or associated software allow for all channel values to be changed from metric to imperial?
On the VBOX, I found a way to build math channels with a metric to imperial conversion for most of the temp and pressure measures you would want.

This outputs psi and Fahrenheit from metric measures.

Of course, all of the GPS based measures, distance and speed, can be changed easily from metric to imperial.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-23-2021, 05:02 PM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
On the VBOX, I found a way to build math channels with a metric to imperial conversion for most of the temp and pressure measures you would want.

This outputs psi and Fahrenheit from metric measures.

Of course, all of the GPS based measures, distance and speed, can be changed easily from metric to imperial.
Hey, Peter...i would love to switch my setup i got from you to imperial displays, my feeble old mind has trouble making sense of metric outputs! SHould i give you a ring or you can post a response?

Thanks!
lester
Old 08-23-2021, 05:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mos996tt
Hey, Peter...i would love to switch my setup i got from you to imperial displays, my feeble old mind has trouble making sense of metric outputs! SHould i give you a ring or you can post a response?

Thanks!
lester
Call me or shoot me an email. Send me a pic of what your screen looks like now in the video and a list of the channels you'd like changed and I'll send you a new scene.

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2021, 08:38 AM
Jmm23
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MC129
We were able to change several things it in the cosworth to imperial. Maybe that's what needs to be done first? I look forward to hearing what they say about it.
What did you have to do to change measurements in Cosworth ICD to imperial?
Old 08-30-2021, 04:26 PM
MC129
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmm23
What did you have to do to change measurements in Cosworth ICD to imperial?
You can make those changes in your configuration using the Toolset software. If you have not done it yet, you first need to register on PMRSI....You will need your VIN# to register.
Once approved you can download the Toolset software, as well as the Tech Manual, Parts List, etc.
Old 12-26-2021, 05:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Bringing this back to the top.

I have two Video VBOX HD2's left from the latest production run available for purchase. The next batch will not be in the US until the first or more likely, the second week of February.

AiM's new single and dual bullet cameras are forecast to be here March or April, now in 1080p and with a streaming option.

Please let me know if I can help. I expect the VBOX's will be gone by the 5th of January.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:06 PM
4MW
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vbox

[Peter,please sign me up! Thanks. QUOTE=ProCoach;17866644]Bringing this back to the top.

I have two Video VBOX HD2's left from the latest production run available for purchase. The next batch will not be in the US until the first or more likely, the second week of February.

AiM's new single and dual bullet cameras are forecast to be here March or April, now in 1080p and with a streaming option.

Please let me know if I can help. I expect the VBOX's will be gone by the 5th of January.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-26-2021, 08:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 4MW
Peter,please sign me up! Thanks.
All set, Scott! Thanks!
Old 12-26-2021, 08:43 PM
dudical26
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Peter,

I'm planning what system to put into my 718 CS and I want to go with the VBOX because the software is just so easy to use. I've spent tens of hours learning and using the AIM software and within 5 minutes I was better on the VBOX.

I've got a Smarty Cam in my Miata, mounted on the roll cage. From that mounting location I can see the track ahead, my arms and steering wheel, the view behind through the rear view mirror and even my eyes in the rearview. From that 1 camera I can see everything.

I've read that you can't do that with the VBOX because you can't adjust the light exposure area like you can with the AIM system. Is that accurate? I'd love to get the VBOX and mount 1 camera in the same location to capture the road ahead and the steering wheel and then use the second camera to point backwards and make more exciting videos of my races.

Would love your input.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dudical26
Hey Peter,

I'm planning what system to put into my 718 CS and I want to go with the VBOX because the software is just so easy to use. I've spent tens of hours learning and using the AIM software and within 5 minutes I was better on the VBOX.
You are not alone on the much shorter learning curve. Also, simply by opening the file from one SD card with all the data and video on it, you can find where and how you did your best performance (braking, cornering, speeds, throttle, g's, steering) in EACH corner of the track, so you can do it again next session.

I think I've sold around fifty-five or sixty HD2 systems for the 718 GT4CS just this year, plus about twenty last year. It's a popular option, and the best for coaching too, due to the side by side comparison with one click.

Originally Posted by dudical26
I've got a Smarty Cam in my Miata, mounted on the roll cage. From that mounting location I can see the track ahead, my arms and steering wheel, the view behind through the rear view mirror and even my eyes in the rearview. From that 1 camera I can see everything.

I've read that you can't do that with the VBOX because you can't adjust the light exposure area like you can with the AIM system. Is that accurate? I'd love to get the VBOX and mount 1 camera in the same location to capture the road ahead and the steering wheel and then use the second camera to point backwards and make more exciting videos of my races.

Would love your input.
Actually, while the primary forward facing caamera of the VBOX HD2 system is not designed to be used this way, there are people that have made that work, Rennlister TrakCar is the best example in his 991.2 GT3RS. The exposure setting has been updated to allow changing the forward facing camera also, not just the second camera, which is what it was limited to in the beginning.

I still really, REALLY recommend using the forward facing camera as designed, high and centrally inside the top of the windshield, simply because it captures a) the heading (direction of the car) most accurately for every foot you travel, b) the edges of the car in relation to the edges of the road for EXACT assessment of car positioning and lateral placement of the car in relation to the curbings and edges of the road and c) much more detail of what is ahead of the car.

In the 718 GT4 CS, I insert a steering wheel that shows exactly how much and how fast the wheel is turned, corrected or overcorrected on the background of the video. This allows comparison of steering angle input for every foot you travel.

For testing, practice and qualy, I put the second camera high on the main hoop looking down and over the right shoulder of the driver to look at their head for when and where they look into the corner, and for the race, I simply leave enough slack to turn the camera around to face out the rear of the car for "protection" and entertainment.

Like I said, I have seen TrakCar and Geoff Isringhausen's latest Cup car use that primary camera in the normal position of a SmartyCam. I don't care for it from a performance or coaching perspective, because I NEED to see the proper camera view to effectively coach and I can put that info on the background of the screen. But, you CAN do it, if it's that important to you.

Let me know if I can help. I have one more kit available, then it'll be sometime around mid February for the next batch to arrive from the UK. Thanks for reaching out.
The following users liked this post:
The Mick (04-03-2024)
Old 12-28-2021, 11:36 AM
dudical26
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info Peter. I just spent a few hours going through lots of old posts of yours, shake n bake, and Trackcar talking about the HD2. I was able to see a bunch of different angles and installation options. Unfortunately a lot of the original youtube videos that were linked in the posts are no longer available.

From what gathered, even with the exposure adjustment on the HD2, the dynamic range of the camera just isn't enough to totally handle the difference between interior and exterior light. It also seems like the HD2 camera is more of a wide angle view than the AIM SC. I found one video of the HD2 cam mounted centrally on the roll bar facing forward and the view of the road ahead just doesn't look right in my opinion.
Do you have any pics or video you can share of a smarty cam mounted centrally in a GT4 CS. I want to see if I get the same visibility that I do in my Miata currently. It seems like the Miata layout just happens to work perfectly with the SC
Here's a screen shot from my Miata. While I don't get the same level of detail about the car's placement as you would from HD2 mounted on windshield, I really like having one image that shows me everything.

The following users liked this post:
GT3_Driver (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 09:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No question the field of view is far greater in the HD2. That also makes it tougher to reconcile the inside to the outside contrast.

I prefer the 84 degree FOV for the SmartyCam, which is what you have.

You CAN mount the HD2 camera in the same place and you CAN make the exposure work. Just not ideal and not what the system is designed to do.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:24 PM
Moondog4224
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach;[url=tel:17870598
17870598[/url]]No question the field of view is far greater in the HD2. That also makes it tougher to reconcile the inside to the outside contrast.

I prefer the 84 degree FOV for the SmartyCam, which is what you have.

You CAN mount the HD2 camera in the same place and you CAN make the exposure work. Just not ideal and not what the system is designed to do.
can you”add” the smarty cam and still use the (2) hd2 cameras as well with this set up?
Old 12-29-2021, 01:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Moondog4224
can you”add” the smarty cam and still use the (2) hd2 cameras as well with this set up?
Yes, you can. For the SmartyCam, you could add a bridge adn an antenna or use the V2.2 GP and an antenna and connect it to the same port on the passenger side sill or footwell as the HD2.

Most folks default to the HD2 because so it's easy and fast to figure out what to do next, but the in-car is helpful to a few folks. I think there is a good chance that there will be a three-camera solution later next year...

I've sold this combo to a few folks with 981 and 718 ClubSports.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:19 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, you can. For the SmartyCam, you could add a bridge adn an antenna or use the V2.2 GP and an antenna and connect it to the same port on the passenger side sill or footwell as the HD2.

Most folks default to the HD2 because so it's easy and fast to figure out what to do next, but the in-car is helpful to a few folks. I think there is a good chance that there will be a three-camera solution later next year...

I've sold this combo to a few folks with 981 and 718 ClubSports.
....Put me on the list for the 3 camera system....

Quick Reply: Data and video options for the 718 GT4 Clubsport