Sponsored by: Silver Rocket

Oil Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 03:07 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts
Default Oil Problem?

Any idea after a month and a half of the car sitting after a maintenance/track prep done that all of a sudden I'd see about an ounce of clean oil on my garage floor and the car saying its over the max engine oil limit?

I've fired it up a few times, and driven it up and down my street twice as I was installing a Vbox system into it. Only came across this today, as I was test fitting the car onto a new trailer I just picked up.

I'm at a loss, as I didn't see oil any where else today and the car was sitting/running on the trailer/driveway for a good bit. F'ing Porsche and their stupid digital dipsticks that never read for ****.

Old 02-14-2021, 03:32 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

The leak I can’t offer any other suggestions other than pull the under cover and make sure they put the filter on and the plug in more than finger tight.
As for the overfill, mine used from about 90% down to 30% on the cosworth gage and I added 1/2 quart. This took it to 107%. Sebring did the rest now at 90% again.
I would warm it to 180 or more and get a reading from the cosworth dash.
I am unsure if you can suck it out from the fill tube like we did on the 991’s but I would try that before draining/refilling the entire job. Does it give you a percent?

Last edited by s996; 02-14-2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:48 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by s996
The leak I can’t offer any other suggestions other than pull the under cover and make sure they put the filter on and the plug in more than finger tight.
As for the overfill, mine used from about 90% down to 30% on the cosworth gage and I added 1/2 quart. This took it to 107%. Sebring did the rest now at 90% again.
I would warm it to 180 or more and get a reading from the cosworth dash.
I am unsure if you can suck it out from the fill tube like we did on the 991’s but I would try that before draining/refilling the entire job. Does it give you a percent?
Sadly 981....so I gotta use the old bull**** stuff

Nope, its saying unable to give me a reading :/
Old 02-14-2021, 04:32 PM
tjsmaryland
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You can't thread a hose into the fill tube to drain oil from the top of the engine, the path is too convoluted.

I have drained a small amount of oil from the engine drain plug. Loosen drain plug part way with a male allen socket. Carefully unscrew the plug using the allen socket (hold the socket in your hand) until its starts to weep, Then unscrew the allen socket and drain plug (holding it tight against the engine pan) to drain what you need to drain, then retread the plug and torque. If you hold the allen socket in your hand (not on a ratchet) you can control the oil flow and not dump all of your oil.
The following users liked this post:
thuggo (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 05:13 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tjsmaryland
You can't thread a hose into the fill tube to drain oil from the top of the engine, the path is too convoluted.

I have drained a small amount of oil from the engine drain plug. Loosen drain plug part way with a male allen socket. Carefully unscrew the plug using the allen socket (hold the socket in your hand) until its starts to weep, Then unscrew the allen socket and drain plug (holding it tight against the engine pan) to drain what you need to drain, then retread the plug and torque. If you hold the allen socket in your hand (not on a ratchet) you can control the oil flow and not dump all of your oil.

I'll keep that in mind. I'll give my mechanic a shout tomorrow to see if he wants to look at it. Just wish there was a way to take an actual oil reading, the digital reader is so bloody worthless on these cars.
The following users liked this post:
zracer196 (02-15-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 07:55 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Mechanic is taking a look next friday. So something I've been thinking about....could it be that its so damn cold(car sits in my non heated garage) that its shrinking the o-ring? and thats why a little oiil is leaking out?

Quick Reply: Oil Problem?