Notices

New to Porsche, what Should I Consider Buying?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 01:00 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark78
I also suggest you browse the 997 and 991 forums and see what people are talking about.
Thanks, I've done that a bit already and will do it some more!
Old 03-24-2017, 08:07 PM
champignon
Pro

I want to thank everyone who has commented in this thread, so far.

After studying Porsches for sale and test driving a couple of them over the last week and a half, I have come to a few conclusions. One conclusion is that there are very few bargains to be had in the used Porsche market, other than for an older Boxster if that is what you are looking for (I am not). I feel in a way that I'm a bit late to the party . . . .

I did drive a 2006 911 Carrera 997.1 with only ~29K miles on it that was at the local dealer. It was immaculate, and priced a bit over $40K. I'd imagine there would be room for negotiation, but I can't see buying it for a couple of reasons:

(1) IMS failure risk, though low, is present;

(2) Car was excellent but not really "special," in the sense that it would stand out in my existing "collection" of 5 vehicles. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a great primary vehicle, but competing for attention with my 1M, my pristine 135is Convertible, and my Z3M Coupe, I don't see myself chomping at the bit to drive this car. For the price, I just don't see the value there, even if I knocked off a few thousand $ with extended negotiations.

At this point I think I will continue to look for either a much cheaper 997.1 that can have its IMS issue fixed for a reasonable cost, or possibly a 997.2

Turbos in decent shape with lowish miles look out of reach. I already own one vintage 2000 vehicle (my Z3M Coupe) and I don't think I want another car that old due to the fact that there are lots of maintenance and other issues that crop up on cars that old.

Anything I am missing?
Old 04-04-2017, 11:36 PM
mrandell
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
I want to thank everyone who has commented in this thread, so far.

After studying Porsches for sale and test driving a couple of them over the last week and a half, I have come to a few conclusions. One conclusion is that there are very few bargains to be had in the used Porsche market, other than for an older Boxster if that is what you are looking for (I am not). I feel in a way that I'm a bit late to the party . . . .

I did drive a 2006 911 Carrera 997.1 with only ~29K miles on it that was at the local dealer. It was immaculate, and priced a bit over $40K. I'd imagine there would be room for negotiation, but I can't see buying it for a couple of reasons:

(1) IMS failure risk, though low, is present;

(2) Car was excellent but not really "special," in the sense that it would stand out in my existing "collection" of 5 vehicles. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a great primary vehicle, but competing for attention with my 1M, my pristine 135is Convertible, and my Z3M Coupe, I don't see myself chomping at the bit to drive this car. For the price, I just don't see the value there, even if I knocked off a few thousand $ with extended negotiations.

At this point I think I will continue to look for either a much cheaper 997.1 that can have its IMS issue fixed for a reasonable cost, or possibly a 997.2

Turbos in decent shape with lowish miles look out of reach. I already own one vintage 2000 vehicle (my Z3M Coupe) and I don't think I want another car that old due to the fact that there are lots of maintenance and other issues that crop up on cars that old.

Anything I am missing?
if you look for something, you'll find it. The IMS issue is highly exaggerated. I own a later model IMS car and drive it 3x a week. There are a lot of things that could happen.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:41 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Based on everything here what you need is a 2009 or newer. If you can't afford a 2009, wait until you can. A Porsche is definitely not the car to purchase if you are stretching a budget. You should have $5,000 minimum in cash ready to burn after you purchase any used 911. If that's not the case wait. I myself have been enjoying my 2002 911 for about 3 years now. It cost $24,000 "all in" after replacing a bunch of parts and performing necessary maintenance, including the entire suspension. It's got some miles on it, 122k to be exact, and it drives like a Porsche should. I have never wasted any mental energy on the IMS monster. Oh yes, I take it to the track too about twice a year. Love it.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:45 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
Based on everything here what you need is a 2009 or newer. If you can't afford a 2009, wait until you can. A Porsche is definitely not the car to purchase if you are stretching a budget. You should have $5,000 minimum in cash ready to burn after you purchase any used 911. If that's not the case wait. I myself have been enjoying my 2002 911 for about 3 years now. It cost $24,000 "all in" after replacing a bunch of parts and performing necessary maintenance, including the entire suspension. It's got some miles on it, 122k to be exact, and it drives like a Porsche should. I have never wasted any mental energy on the IMS monster. Oh yes, I take it to the track too about twice a year. Love it.
Thanks for your comments. I am in the process of purchasing VivG's 996 1999 coupe listed for sale here and on craigslist.

I have bought quite a few used and vintage BMWs. I am much more constrained by garage space and getting a sense of value for what I am purchasing, than by a few $thousand here or there when it comes to having the resources to maintain and deal with a used vintage car. I am not seeing value for money in the used 997 market at this moment, hence the reason for my going to a 996 :-)

Quick Reply: New to Porsche, what Should I Consider Buying?