Notices

Forgive the Rookie Question: Back seats in a 997.1 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 11:35 PM
Deutsch-Driver
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forgive the Rookie Question: Back seats in a 997.1 GT3?

At the risk of being the idiot in the room, I'll ask a seemingly stupid question.

For a bit of context; my wife and I are in the process of looking for our first Porsche and love the fact that the 911 allows us to roll short distances with our daughter in the back seat. We're not in a hurry as we're enjoying the learning and want to make a good choice for our first one.

One of the cars we looked at was the GT3...which as configured, wouldn't be a useful for us with no back seats.

Does anyone here know if it's possible to retrofit a set of seats in to the back of a 997.1 GT3? I understand the mounts are there and the sizing is identical to the 2+2 997.1 models. We would like to know if it has ever been done. ...or if there are good reasons NOT to do it.

Thanks for the insight! ...and let'er rip. This is all new to us and if we're committing a mortal sin by even considering it, let us know.

- Peter
Old 09-11-2016, 03:15 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Peter, you might consider checking with your insurance company. The GT3 is certified by Porsche as a two seat car and that gets baked into all the insurance codes and rate factors by the insurer. Insurance companies do allow any number of modifications, but there will be some red tape.

Seats may be easier than installing seat belts. Some of the anchor points may be present, but I doubt all the welded brackets etc. for seat backs and seat belt reels will be on a GT3.

A quick look at the Porsche part’s department’s detailed pictures of the body shell will show if any or all of the welded brackets and any anchors are included in a GT3. If not you could get that stuff from a wrecked 911 to transfer over, but it won’t be an easy afternoon job.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Deutsch-Driver
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks of the thoughtful reply, Jennifer! All VERY good points!!! I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't thought about the belts or the insurance.

I hate to say it but the more we think about it, the more we feel the back seats are a must. One of the planes we had was an aerobatic two seater. With my daughter just 6 years old, it was essentially a toy for me that was used less and less as the years went on. We don't want this to end up in the same bucket.

Thanks again, Jennifer! Looking forward to any other insights as well.

- Peter

Quick Reply: Forgive the Rookie Question: Back seats in a 997.1 GT3?