Notices

CARiD.COM SUCKS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 11:31 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

While the tires might very well be of recent manufacture and be mounted, will they be balanced and the wheel weights placed inside the rim?

What about the TPMS? Will the OP verify thiese were properly installed prior to mounting?

There should be more to the install than just swapping out the tires in the driveway.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

The owner is still checking this thread. Hoping someone will finally say something nice. Poor devil.

All this negative shyte could have been avoided so easily.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
A week to go from New Jersey to Michigan??? Are they shipping on hand cart?
That was the base shipping option. For all my troubles they upgraded me to horse and buggy.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NCporsche
While the tires might very well be of recent manufacture and be mounted, will they be balanced and the wheel weights placed inside the rim?

What about the TPMS? Will the OP verify thiese were properly installed prior to mounting?

There should be more to the install than just swapping out the tires in the driveway.
They better come ready to bolt on! I paid for new TPMS and was told they would be road force balanced -- much more precise method of balancing. Nope that's pretty much how you install them as long as the wheel/tire operator got everything balanced correctly and CARiD verified fitment. I will probably have to re-sync the pressure sensors but that's it.

http://www.carid.com/carid/free-road...pn-fmount.html
Old 08-15-2016, 12:07 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

This is what CARiD means by road force balancing.

So sorry, dude.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2016, 01:35 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

The wife just purchased a 2013 MINI. A Certified up to date maintenance yada yada.

Took her car to the local community college where I was enrolled for a Summer General Automotive course. Three of the four tires heeded to be rebalanced. The 15 year old Hunter balance machine did road force balancing.

It might be worth the extra dollar to ensure they are balanced before mounting.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:58 PM
SuperPenguin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Learning that most auto parts websites are just middle men who submit your order to the mfr. was a huge revelation. I too have suffered the consequences of thinking "in stock" meant "this product exists and will ship to you in the foreseeable future"

Or the bait and switch "Free 2 day shipping" from a site that is thankfully now defunct...yeah, I got free 2 day shipping, but I ordered on a Monday and my "in stock and ready to ship" product didn't ship until Thursday afternoon...
Old 08-15-2016, 06:33 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
This is what CARiD means by road force balancing.

So sorry, dude.
Haha my wife got a good laugh out of that one. It wouldn't surprise me considering what their definition of in stock is!
Old 08-15-2016, 10:36 PM
OEMPartHaus.com
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperPenguin
Learning that most auto parts websites are just middle men who submit your order to the mfr. was a huge revelation. I too have suffered the consequences of thinking "in stock" meant "this product exists and will ship to you in the foreseeable future"

Or the bait and switch "Free 2 day shipping" from a site that is thankfully now defunct...yeah, I got free 2 day shipping, but I ordered on a Monday and my "in stock and ready to ship" product didn't ship until Thursday afternoon...
That is what "In stock" means. My website is set up to tell someone to call for availability after the inventory falls below a certain quantity.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:49 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

"In stock" = the party representing the product for sale is in possession of said product, and it is ready for immediate delivery.

I'm fine with people saying "in stock at my distributor", but anything else is the same as my claiming that I have every product at Amazon.com "in stock". FWIW, AmEx agreed with my definition when I had the same issue on my dishwasher purchase, i.e. if it's in stock, it doesn't take three weeks for delivery.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:02 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
It wouldn't surprise me considering what their definition of in stock is!
Old 08-15-2016, 11:35 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
they would be road force balanced
Please post a photo of how many wheel weights are on each wheel.

I recently had a set of tires installed on a set of modifies wheels. It was a Saturday and my normal Indy shop isn't open on weekends so i went to the local generic tire place.....
After the first one was done I made a comment I've never seen that many weights on a wheel before....told them to try again. Once I showed them how to do that, the amount of weights was cut down by about 75%. An experienced tech will recognize when the tire / wheel relationship is a bit off and move the tire on the wheel to fine a better "sweet spot". The road force machine is supposed to make this much easier, but only if you run through that program on the machine.

The best tools mean nothing if the person working the screen doesn't know what they are doing.

Originally Posted by tooloud10
I'm fine with people saying "in stock at my distributor"
+1

I'm seeing this more and more on websites like The Tire Rack. No issues there as long as it's disclosed up front.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:48 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^^ The job of the yellow dot on the sidewall is to show the tech the lightest point on the tire. He lines that dot up to the valve stem, where the wheel is the heaviest....thus reducing the amount of weight needed to balance the wheel. I have had to tell several techs to try again. They get all indignant when an idiot like me knows more about their job than they do.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:24 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
^^^^ The job of the yellow dot on the sidewall is to show the tech the lightest point on the tire. He lines that dot up to the valve stem, where the wheel is the heaviest....thus reducing the amount of weight needed to balance the wheel. I have had to tell several techs to try again. They get all indignant when an idiot like me knows more about their job than they do.
All of that means nothing when a proper road force balancing is performed. As Hacker points out - the machine finds the heavy side of the wheel and the light side of the tire (or vice versa). The tech should mark these two spots and then line them up and run the balance program again. If everything matches up, the last step is to locate the inward and outward light points for weight application.

If balancing with less sophisticated equipment, - yes - the yellow ring should be located near the tire valve.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:01 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^^ They still start by lining up the yellow dot and the valve stem. Both the tire manufacturer and the wheel manufacturer have done the first step for you. If you aren't bright enough to read the tire dots and valve stem you likely aren't using a road force machine anyway, so.....

The info you are looking for is there, why not use it?

Are you saying that since you are going to dismount and realign the tire anyway, there is no point in even trying to get it right?

Road force balancing only comes into play with the higher aspect ratio tires anyway.....

Quick Reply: CARiD.COM SUCKS!!!!