Notices

Porsche Says Porsches Are for Driving, Not Self-Driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:39 PM
AdPock
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche Says Porsches Are for Driving, Not Self-Driving

While many big car companies are placing big bets on a future filled with autonomously-driven cars, Porsche thinks cars are meant to be driven by humans, not robots.

Read the rest on the Rennlist homepage. >>
Old 02-02-2016, 11:37 AM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

If that is really Porsche's top brass sentiment, then why do they only offer their PDK robot option to shift gears for us Humans?? They talk the talk, but gotta walk the walk. Please bring back a Manual option on all your top tier 911 variants, and I will gladly start giving you my money again on your new products.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:01 PM
LewSF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed! Automatic rev matched downshifts...rear wheel sterring......they already went off the deep end. I can see the safety things that the computer does given the inherent instability of the 911...but...come on! The latest gadgets are headed towards the driver doing less and less to "drive" the car.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:23 PM
xxrockmanxneoxx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to be honest i think they arent doing it just because they dont have the tech and knowledge to do it. Porsche has always been behind on tech.

I do agree having a porsche should be driven but i think the true answer is that they can't do it.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:28 PM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xxrockmanxneoxx
to be honest i think they arent doing it just because they dont have the tech and knowledge to do it. Porsche has always been behind on tech.

I do agree having a porsche should be driven but i think the true answer is that they can't do it.
I don't think a car manufacturer can win Lemans prototype category (919) and dominate the championship without being on the cutting edge of technology. If in doubt also look at the 918 and the new mission E coming into production.
None of those manufacturers "know" how to do it per se, they all outsource the technology to Google and Apple the same way they outsource other technologies to Bosch and Siemens. I believe Its just a matter of company policy and the direction they want to take it into.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:53 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mpiffaretti
I don't think a car manufacturer can win Lemans prototype category (919) and dominate the championship without being on the cutting edge of technology. If in doubt also look at the 918 and the new mission E coming into production.
Different types of technology. Self-driving is about artificial intelligence. It's not just getting sensor data and processing it for the driver but then having software make decisions with that data. Personally, I like Porsche concentrating on the side of technology they have wired: the part that enables the driver rather than replaces him/her.
Then again, my favorite line in Star Trek: The Next Generation is in "Relics" where Scotty has the holo-deck recreate his Enterprise: "En Cee Cee One Seven Oh One. No bloody Aye, Bee, Cee or Dee!"
Old 02-09-2016, 03:27 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mpiffaretti
If that is really Porsche's top brass sentiment, then why do they only offer their PDK robot option to shift gears for us Humans?? They talk the talk, but gotta walk the walk. Please bring back a Manual option on all your top tier 911 variants, and I will gladly start giving you my money again on your new products.
Agreed!!! I would even pay for a manual like they used to charge for an automatic!
Old 02-24-2016, 06:13 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

If its all about the driving experience why basically drop the manual at least from the TT.

Originally Posted by AdPock

While many big car companies are placing big bets on a future filled with autonomously-driven cars, Porsche thinks cars are meant to be driven by humans, not robots.

Read the rest on the Rennlist homepage. >>

Quick Reply: Porsche Says Porsches Are for Driving, Not Self-Driving