Notices

"Moron in a Porsche" day! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 02:00 AM
saphriel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Moron in a Porsche" day! ! !

So today was the day I became ashamed of ever owning a Porsche. It has nothing to do with the marque, and I still maintain that Porsche motor cars are among the fastest, safest, most beautiful cars out there. However today was the day that i do frown on my brethren, and had I been driving a lesser car, I would have condemned all Porsche drivers to being arrogant stuck-up pie-holes. However, as a Porsche driver, I was merely content to fume.

Today at around 2:30p.m. a friend and I had just had a wonderful sushi lunch at the Shabusan at downtown Vancouver and we were coming to the parking lot of the Pacific Centre Mall to recover my Porsche (a cute grey 928S). There were many Porsches at the parking lot that afternoon, and so I was feeling even happier than normal. As all the cars are making their way to the parking exits, I give way to a wonderful silver Boxster who was turning right. I smile and wave at the driver, and I get a glare in return. Hmmm. Okay maybe he was having a bad day. Whatever.

So I come up to the electronic reader, which is placed about 20 feet away from the gate at the Smithe/Howe exit. I put my parking stub in, pay up, and the gate opens. I am just about to accelerate when a silver 996 Carrera cab (a dapper guy driving with a hottie blonde riding shotgun) suddenly looms into my view. Before I even make a move he gets into the gate and leaves!

Fortunately, a parking attendant saw the whole thing, and apologised about the layout of the parking lot (apparently this has happened before, as there are no divisions between lanes to prevent this from happening).
I am quite appalled. Not because parking in Vancouver is expensive (it is), or the design of the lot was bad, but because of the principle of this. That was a pretty cheap move. I had always assumed (perhaps naively) that a sort of collegiality exists between owners of the finest vehicle marque in the world. First off, I feel we should be more polite and gracious to other motorists, as we are ambassadors of the Porsche company. Even more so we should be gracious amongst ourselves. I saw neither today. All I saw were a rude Porsche driver, and a dishonest Porsche driver.

No wonder people think we're all ******.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:28 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did his car have chrome wheels?
Old 09-21-2003, 04:29 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offence to owners of 996s and Boxsters, but some of the owners of the newer models seem like they wouldn't even recognise something earlier as a Porsche at all.

These people simply buy a flash, expensive car - they have no idea of history or heritage and, if you tried to convey that idea, they would label you some sad wannabe who can only afford an old, used car.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:13 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

John, I have to agree although we are all guilty of making a generalisation here I only know one Boxster owner and he is very enthusiastic about all cars, particularly Porsches.

Saphriel, too bad you had a bad day. Go to a Porsche event to get the complete opposite experience!
Old 09-21-2003, 05:57 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I have a theory...and certainly while most business lease Porsches are wonderful folks just like those of us who own and cherish our Pcars, but IMO there is a group of "leasers" who could care less about any involvement with the marque. To them it's just a 2 or 3 year ego thing. I bet they even go thru car washes and have their oil changed at jiffy-lube!

(disclaimer...not that there is anything wrong with that )
Old 09-21-2003, 09:24 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would never be ashamed to be a P-car owner under any circumsatnces... I recognize that there are many a$$ wholes in this world whether they drive a Porsche or not. It's not the car, it's the driver, IMHO.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:39 PM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by John Boggiano
...they wouldn't even recognise something earlier as a Porsche at all.

These people simply buy a flash, expensive car - they have no idea of history or heritage and, if you tried to convey that idea, they would label you some sad wannabe who can only afford an old, used car.

So True!!

For the same money I could have had a Boxter, in fact - pre-loved 996's are now the same price as 993's!! And my car STILL keeps it's value...

But on the open road, that guy in the pre-loved 996 just will not wave back.

I am not trying to label all 996 drivers BTW... I'm sure the one's on this forum are really great ... it just seems that those people who are really not 'enthusiasts', are the ones driving the newer cars.

Life will get interesting when the new Cayenne is in full bloom, plus the new 997 line-up hits the road, and perhaps the hinted at sedan....

...oh, and the Baby V6 Cayenne....

BTW - I heard that the Cayenne sold 30,000 in its first year!

Are there two breeds now emerging... those who are enthusiasts, and those who want the badge?
Old 09-21-2003, 10:52 PM
tv
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 117 Posts

I completely agree with John, i already posted on the cayenne forum about my experience today about waving at a cayenne and 2 boxsters with no response, too bad we weren't going in the same direction as then they could at least know i was driving a p-car.
Tom

1985 928s2 euro also meteor metallic
Old 09-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Feel a bit embarassed admitting this but sometimes, and only sometimes getting into my car turns me into an impatient t##t! Sorry, i know its bad for the marque and all that and I do try not to let it happen.
I do drive responsibly and always safeley but being stuck behind a van in the outside lane on the motorway who is just deliberateley holding me up with plenty of room for him to move over just gets to me.
Do I need therapy? Or does he? I always move out of the way when a 'press on' driver is approaching, not courteous, just dont want to get involved in his accident. Maybe I just need to start going to the track and get rid of all my pent up aggression. It seems you stateside guys spend much more time on the track than we do here in the UK.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:30 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by graham_mitchell
I only know one Boxster owner and he is very enthusiastic about all cars, particularly Porsches.
Hi, I'm Doug...and now you know two!

Old 09-22-2003, 09:35 AM
delhi
Racer

it's ironic that the "old schoolers" are complaining how the 996, Cayenne and Boxster owners don't have that Porsche camaraderie feeling. Because at the same time the air-cooled guys also make fun at the water cooled and hairdresser Boxster owners. LOL!
Old 09-22-2003, 11:54 AM
Carlos
Banned

Try driving a 928. By & large, the only waves you'll get are from other 928s & 944s. You'll get more waves from Corvette drivers than from 911 drivers. No news here for me.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:15 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

As mentioned earlier, I agree it is the driver and not the car. Plenty of pr!cks driving 993's, 911's 964s', vettes, Ferrari's, etc. On the other hand, plenty of enthusiasts driving Boxsters, 996's, Cayennes.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:34 PM
saphriel
Instructor

A funny thing is, whether we like it or not, we as Porsche owners are more visible. Hence our behaviour tends to undergo more scrutiny, both bad and good- and some people just can't help doing it (I mean, how many times has a Porsche caught your eye and you said,"wow check that out" to your buddy in the driver's seat). After I got over the initial shock, I wasn't actually mad with what happened, more of...disappointed. It's similar to the disappointment you feel (and dare I say it, shame) when say, your brother or cousin does something stupid. I guess in this case I saw my own Porsche brother do something really cheap, like taking my parking fare. Despite that it's still okay with me, but if I weren't a Porsche owner no one could blame me if I'd have an irrevocably negative view of all people who drive a Porsche.
Unfortunately perceptions matter, and me telling this rather cautionary real-life tale is my way of looking out for you guys. I just don't want the general public to think of all of us in the same light as the infamous 'rice boys', after all. So take care of yourselves out there & drive safe,

-Joe

p.s. Fortunately I have been to a number of PCA events and the folks there are absolutely marvelous (you guys know who you are). Good car enthusiasts and good human beings (and yes, many of them drive Boxsters and 996's).
Old 09-22-2003, 07:22 PM
meanmaroon951
Racer

there should be a p history exam , personality exam and road course required before you can hold the title of a porsche by the way if i had a little more money i would love to have a air cooled model 356 speedster or 70somthing 911 or a 04 911 turbo

Quick Reply: "Moron in a Porsche" day! ! !