DIY Caliper Painting

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:53 AM
Ed Petry
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default DIY Caliper Painting

Hi everyone,

Looked through the search function for DIY caliper painting and did not see any topics. So, here goes.

Any advice on cleaning and refinishing a set of 944 calipers. The local shop that does these things wants $150 each to paint (not powdercoat) while on the car. Not saying that is a bad price or critizing. But this is without rebuilding them. Stopping is a major desire of mine (lol).

So, P-car up on jack stands and brakes totally off the car. (New drilled and slotted rotors, stainless steel brake lines, front bearings...)

What experiences have members had and what results did you have?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:58 PM
Georound
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Caliper paint

Results were ok. I took them off the car as I was changing lines, pads and Master cylinder.
I used the G2 red epoxy. Ended up needing a second kit. Tried using the spray aerosol bottles you can get at home depot. Probably better than a brush, but another $20 or so.

Any brake fluid, including that which comes out when you move the calipers to paint the bottom (I used rubber stoppers the second time) will screw with the finish. I was shocked at how easy it was to scrape off the epoxy with a razor blade. More like a tight wrap that didnt really bond with the caliper metal. There is likely a coating on the calipers of my 987 like teflon.

It was a lot cheaper than 600, but my car was down for days. House stunk up when I baked them in the oven. Pain in the butt honestly.

For 300, I'd definitely pay some one. 600, probably would skip it. If you left them on the car, never cracked the lines and would be happy with only the visible parts red, go for it. Don't put the paint on too thick. More is not better. Brush strokes will disappear. Stop screwing with it as it sets up kinda quickly.

Messed with Porsche stickers, and stencils....baking on the stencils under the ceramic clear coat was interesting. It burned the glue into the red coating. When I pulled off the stencils (because they shrunk), it left a cool shadowed, almost etched, Porsche logo that I actually liked.

I can post some pics if anyone cares.

Your 944 calipers might already be painted and therefore, less of a hassle.
Good luck!
Old 06-26-2015, 12:57 PM
Ed Petry
Rennlist Member

thanks Georound. Appreciate your input.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:56 PM
Netbug
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used the G2 paint with success many years ago. I used aircraft paint remover and scrubbed the crap out of the calipers before I did the dirty work.

I also used the spray can with bottles to spray the G2 paint but I also had to thin it a little with some acetone as it was too thick to come out smoothly.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Georound
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really Nice job! Acetone to thin the epoxy is probably the ticket! Is it pretty smooth up close? How have they been holding up? No issues with mine after about 4k miles.

I said stencils earlier and meant stickers. I tried both stencils for paint and stickers....
Old 07-04-2015, 02:09 AM
Netbug
Rennlist Member

Smooth because of the material. Works great. I used stickers because I don't track often. Only 1 track event and its held up for 6 years so far.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Ed Petry
Rennlist Member

All good information. Thanks!!

Decided to remove from the car and used caliper paint, black! Will post pictures if I remember to take shots ( get busy and forget).
Ed
Old 07-14-2015, 05:17 PM
silviabecker313
5th Gear

Don't forget to post photos, Ed!
Old 07-15-2015, 03:46 PM
Ed Petry
Rennlist Member

Here are quick pictures. Getting closer to being back on the road!!!!!
Ed

Last edited by Ed Petry; 07-15-2015 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Pictures are way too large (and not in focus) Will repost smaller and more in focus pictures Sorry

Quick Reply: DIY Caliper Painting