Valet Parking Strategy

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 11:09 AM
LSM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Valet Parking Strategy

Originally posted by Raoul in Colorado
Does any have a strategy for parking their Porsche in a secure restaurant valet parking area themselves rather than have a valet parking attendant park it....I personally have a hang up about turning the keys to my Porsche to a teen-age punk that I wouldn't even trust with my lawn mower...., am I paronoid????......, what are your experiences (approaches) in dealing with this issue.....ie strategies for tipping/buying your way through the valet parking etiquette gauntlet....

Raoul in Colorado
03C2SG
I never valet my car, I give the valet extra money and he allows me to park in front and keep my keys. Trust me and I am sure I am not telling you something you do not know, these valets could care less about your car and can't wait to beat on that new Porsche of yours. Do not allow them to evn so much as touch the car. Just my advise.

-Lou
Old 08-29-2003, 04:16 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to think it was neat to have the valets park my car up front at the posh places. But now, I won't ever let them do it. Heard this story about the valet parking out on Stearns Wharf at this nice restaurant. Due to the congestion, only valet parking is available. Someone comes in with a big SUV of some sort and the valet parks it. When the guy comes back out to leave, the valet runs out to get it. Somehow he had it in the wrong gear and gives it enough gas that it backs up completely off the pier into the ocean!!!
Old 09-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

My cousin in law used to be a valet guy, he told me he used to take em out on the road to the parking spot. but he would take a few detours, and race em a bit, I will never let a valet touch my car.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:30 AM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it, the cost is too great. If you are going somewhere and know you will have to use a valet take another car. It is rare to find a valet that will allow you to park yourself (insurance concerns, lot size etc.). If you get lucky and find one that does the spots right up front are quickly filled by others in the know.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:29 PM
meanmaroon951
Racer

request the keys as soon as they park it
Old 09-13-2003, 09:49 AM
RDH
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only dings I ever got on any of my cars were by Valets or my own wife and kids swinging "her" doors in our garage (Benz and not Porsche thank god) We have "Rules" now.
When Valeting, paying a premium to park right out front yourself or I wouldn't do it.(Porsche)
Old 10-04-2003, 11:36 PM
Ron D
AutoX

Back in the day ( pre-boxter ) I had an interesting conversation with a long time Vegas valet attendant. His observation that was that the only car he had not parked was a Porsche, due to the owner's lack of enthusiasm for this service. This from a guy who parked Bentley, Ferrari, etc. all the time! And, no he did not know what kind of car I drove.....
Old 10-05-2003, 02:42 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Default Re: Valet Parking Strategy

Originally posted by Raoul in Colorado
Does any have a strategy for parking their Porsche in a secure restaurant valet parking area themselves rather than have a valet parking attendant park
Absolutely Not! No filthy valet gonna step into my Porsche

A while ago drove into a topless bar parking lot attended by several valets. They demanded my key, I turned around and drove away.

Quick Reply: Valet Parking Strategy