Notices

Buying a 996 or 997 after IMS caused rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 01:01 AM
Mirko
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 996 or 997 after IMS caused rebuild?

Hi all,

So I'm looking at potentially getting my first 911. I'm looking at either the later years of the 996 or earlier years of the 997. In the course of my research, I found that a commonly discussed pitfall of these models is the potential for the IMS issue to cause complete failure. There are plenty of threads discussing that, but what I'm wondering is what would be your advice in regards to purchasing 996 or 997 that had a factory/dealer rebuild (new engine, etc) after an IMS caused failure?

For example, local to me there is a 2005 997 for about $37k that underwent what I discussed above at 39k miles. The car is now at 61k miles, so roughly 22k miles on the new engine and subsequent parts that were replaced during the rebuild.

Is this a car that you would stay away from at all costs, or would you view it as a relatively safe buy (for a 9 year old sports car, anyway) and a potentially good deal? I'm not planning on purchasing this specific car, but was curious about the scenario since it's something that I may come across again in what will likely be my quest to get behind the wheel of my own 911.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:24 AM
Lance-AR
Instructor

My concern would be was it a new engine covered under warranty by Porsche or was it a rebuild by an Indy? I would want documentation on the former and major documentation with the latter. If you're worried about IMSB while looking at other cars, you can arrange purchase pending an Indy PPI and have the car left with the Indy shop to put in a new IMSB as soon as you take delivery.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Mirko
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Lance-AR
My concern would be was it a new engine covered under warranty by Porsche or was it a rebuild by an Indy? I would want documentation on the former and major documentation with the latter. If you're worried about IMSB while looking at other cars, you can arrange purchase pending an Indy PPI and have the car left with the Indy shop to put in a new IMSB as soon as you take delivery.
Thanks for the input, Lance. In the case I mentioned, the rebuild was indeed done by Porsche and the new engine covered under warranty by Porsche. The work was actually done at the same Porsche dealership that is now selling it.

Quick Reply: Buying a 996 or 997 after IMS caused rebuild?