Notices

911 What to get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:54 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 911 What to get?

First time poster here (Jeff). I'm looking to finally get into my dream car the 911.

It will be a Sunday driver, and I'm looking for new or showroom condition. I have a couple of friends who race but I don't think I would get into that. I don't want to ding the car...

I really like the GT3, but I need advice if it would suit me, as someone who would most likely not get into racing. If I were to get into a dealer car, it would probably be a 4S.

So would I be making a mistake going with a 4S instead of something along the lines of a GT3? i.e. would I miss the extra horsepower? Or would the 4S be plenty of car for me?

This is my dilemma. If you need any more info from me, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. Looking forward to more participation in the forums.

Jeff
Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn't tell much from your profile.....

Performance is not only absolute, it's also relative. If, for example, you've been driving cars with low horsepower/torque, any 911 (even a plain one) will seem quite powerful and exhilerating. If, however, you've owned Corvettes or other high powered cars, you may want to "step it up" by going to a GT3 RS.

From my point of view (and this is just my opinion), it's a shame to spend a lot of money for a car that's infrequently used and spends most of its life in the garage. It's kind of like buying a boat and using it only six or seven times during the summer season. Now THAT'S an expensive form of recreation.

Without knowing anything about you, it's hard to offer constructive or otherwise useful ideas about your question. Filling out your profile will help us give you relevant feedback.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Thats funny you mention the boat, I'm selling a Bayliner Ciera 3055 for just that reason, I did the math and it cost me around $1200 each time I used it this summer. But the boat is different due to all the mandatory fixed costs associated with it.

I owned a 79 L82 Corvette, and also have a 2003 530 BMW. I don't think any of those hold a candle to even a 4S...

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:57 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

welcome jlanka. It really depends which body style you are willing to buy into and your budget.

996 with it's styling, though a bit aged. ( C4S, Turbo)? 997, same body styles, IMO for a little bit more $$.

GT3( or RS variety), if you don't necessarily need/want back seats.

CPO would be beneficial for a newer Pcar. thorough PPI, and a reputable dealer/ indy in your area'
for necessary work, if you aren't inclined to do some wrenching yourself.

GL, and post pics .

Old 10-10-2012, 01:38 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Thanks for the tips. What about brand new 991 C4S? My budget is between 100 and 150. I'm tending toward that car at this point, although I see a new 991 GT3 is on the horizon (might be above my budget though...)

I'm definitely learning a lot just by reading these forums. I'll continue to do that.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:00 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Thanks for the tips. What about brand new 991 C4S? My budget is between 100 and 150. I'm tending toward that car at this point, although I see a new 991 GT3 is on the horizon (might be above my budget though...)

I'm definitely learning a lot just by reading these forums. I'll continue to do that.
With that kind of budget, you have MANY options. Best advise is to continue reading as much as you can before making your decision. Try to narrow down and match your use of the car with your desires/personality, etc. For example, are you new or old school? If old, you might want to look into the older (but more soul-ful) air cooled cars.

Saying your dream car is a 911 covers nearly 50 years of cars! Sounds like you're focused on the current 991 generation but read up on the different generations - 911, 964, 993, 996, 997 and the current 991 and see what fits you best.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:52 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Saying your dream car is a 911 covers nearly 50 years of cars! Sounds like you're focused on the current 991 generation....
I agree that he's leaning towards a new 911 rather than a previous generation 911. If he buys one of the new ones, he'll likely have a very satisfactory ownership experience. It's all I can do to not feel jealous or envious!

Quick Reply: 911 What to get?