Notices

New Guy Question... Purists... Have I come to the right place?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 06:27 PM
ecrosier
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New Guy Question... Purists... Have I come to the right place?

Hello, everyone. This is my first post. I have a general question (sort of). Okay, to set this up, I'm not all that new to Porsche's because my best friend is a big porsche guy (especially 944 and 968's). I recently bought my Miata after years of pining over one. But, upon interaction at the miata forum, I found that an OEM purist isn't very well received in those circles. Not many people like to keep them in OEM. I was very disheartened. That's how I like sports cars. Feeling rejected by my group, I'm thinking about selling the Miata and converting to Porsches (thinking 944 ... or 928, or 968... ha). I've always known there to be quite a few 'Porsche Purists'. Am I right in assuming my OEM purist ways would be well-accepted in the Porsche community?
Old 03-22-2002, 07:00 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The most puritanical of the Porsche purists would ask why get a 944 when you could get a Porsche instead? Getting over the dogma about "proper" engine location and cooling medium (whatever works), you will find a range of discussion from factory knows best to they made so many do what you want to yours. I prefer to think of a Chevy V-8 in a 944 as a rebodied Camaro rather than a re-engined Porsche, but there is room for many opinions.

If you really want to autocross, keep the Miata. If you want to go beyond that a 944 etc. gains wonderful access to driver's education at racetracks all over the country.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:22 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
<<The most puritanical of the Porsche purists would ask why get a 944 when you could get a Porsche instead? >>

Funny how "the most puritanical of the Porsche purists" are also stuck-up, latté guzzling snobs... I wonder why that is...

Micah (real Porsche driver - see car list below )
Old 03-27-2002, 06:03 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

As far as I have seen so far, everyone is welcome on these boards. I personally don't have any preconceptions regarding people who modify or people who don't. Sounds like the Miata people are pretty narrow-minded.

The only thing I find a little strange is that you seem to want to get rid of the Miata because people on the Miata forum were not of the same 'mind' as yourself. Do you want to buy a Porsche just because you want to get in on a forum? If that is the case, then I would sell the Miata and not buy another car just participate on these forums as you see fit. Would save you a lot of money.

I have probably misunderstood you, but I know that I would not consider selling my C" if EVERY discussion board in the world was not to my liking. Get your priorities right before you decide what to do with your car.
Old 04-01-2002, 11:51 AM
Porsche928Driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's too bad the "purists" have the attitude they do. There is no such thing as a "real" Porsche like the 356 or the 911 only.

Now, follow the advice above and don't sell the Miata just because of others thoughts and words! If you like the car, use it! There must be events and races that you can participate in. If so, do it! Now, if you want to buy a Porsche 944 to use in events also...do it! Both cars mentioned are great for anything you want them to do.

I'm not a Miata fan and even as a former mechanic I don't know much about them. But I can tell you the late model years for the 924 or 944 are the best for any kind of racing. The motors are strong, modification parts are plentiful and the chassis are made for speed in the corners.

I own a 928 that I get more flaming about in the world than I care to admit. But it seems to be from the (I read this article and it says) crowd that are in the know...yeah right! I will keep it forever because I like it. It's not the flaming power monster like a 911. That's not its place in the Porsche lineup...it's a luxury supercar. At the last autocrossing event I attended, my times were almost equal to a turbo-944. I was very happy with my vehicle and my driving. But most of all...

I simply enjoy driving the beast!

<a href="http://clik.to/PORSCHE928DRIVER" target="_blank">Personal Webpages</a>

Quick Reply: New Guy Question... Purists... Have I come to the right place?