Notices

Speedo needle removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 01:20 PM
Outlaw952
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Speedo needle removal?

Anyone ever removed the speedo needle from a 89 944 or similar? I have a bad speedo that I tried it on (before I tried with the one that is working) and it seems that nothing short of just ripping the needle off and destroying it in the process will get it off. I have heard some say to try and use a fork or something similar to pry with but if I do that, it looks like it is going to cause some damage. Also, this needle looks like it has some sort of plastic retaining clip that has to come out before the needle will come off. But after I removed the first needle, it looks like it is a part (attached) of the needle so you cant pull it off? The needle just wont budge with the amount of force I am willing to put on it. I am scared that I will break the stem or cause some internal damage by pulling too hard. Should the needle be this freakin hard to get off or am I doing something wrong? Also, if I ever get it off there, I cant imagine putting it back on without damage as well. Please help I'm getting frustrated with it!
Old 03-27-2002, 12:52 PM
Porsche928Driver
Advanced

To remove a speedo needle:
1. Lift the needle end gently so it just gets over the stop peg.
2. Mark where the needle rests at once over the peg so you have the original place that it was attached at in the rest postion.
3. You must carefully lift up to pull the needle off the shaft.

Now, if your needle was off, put the needle back on the shaft the corrected MPH that you think it was off.
If it wasn't incorrect in speed, then that mark you made in the rest position is where you want the needle to be put back on.

When the needle is back on the shaft, reverse the process of taking it off.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:22 PM
Outlaw952
Instructor

Hmm, they must have made the later 80's speedos much different. I dont have the peg, and there are no marks. The needle just floats. Also, I've read some guide on the internet that says to "gently pull off the needle". There's nothing gentle getting this thing off. Like I said, I must be doing something wrong or its glued on from the factory. Simple pulling aint doin the trick.....
Old 04-01-2002, 12:07 PM
Porsche928Driver
Advanced

Well,
I'm familiar with the older models. You might want to contact a company that rebuilds speedos for advice.

<a href="http://www.nhspeedometer.com/" target="_blank">North Hollywood Speedometer</a>

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Speedo needle removal?