Notices

Kids and Modified Cars...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 01:42 PM
KingDiamond
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 18 and own a 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII that looks like a grandpa's car. But under the hood it has 310hp. No visual modifications except for a nice wax. I love beating those mustangs, older corvettes, and ricers.

Now I'm considering getting a Porsche 944/924S. Don't know which one is better though.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:07 PM
John..
Three Wheelin'

I wonder what the markup is on those parts they are bolting on? I just need to come up with sonething that every 17 year old wants, develop and design it and then sent it to Asia to be made (very inexpensively) and then start collecting the cabbage.

Funny, I went to Pep Boys, and they are selling full stainless exhausts for some of those cars.....real chaep, like $129.00. The irony is the quality looked very good as well.

As far as slamming them for not being able to afford a Porsche, well I wasn't doing that at all. I drive an 83 944, which is probably worth all of $4500.00. I think a huge bolt on wing (along with other useless stuff) on a 944, 928 or 911 is just as stupid looking, and serves no purpose. It is just that you see this trend with the Hondas and other Japanese cars more often.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:34 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I happened to be flashing channels Friday night and came across a 2 hour riceboy street racing documentary in CA on MTV. While I still don't get it, it was at least intriguing. I had no idea it was this serious.

They have so much money available to them I don't remember it being that way when we were younger. I remember scraping together money for headers for my Mustang, and I do admit to some street racing, but at least those cars had some history - Mustangs, Camaros, GTOs, etc.

One interesting thing was the the cops busted people watching a street race and started writing tickets for cars being lowered below the 22" headling minimum, drilled airbox, lights in front of the A piller, wheels outside the fender lip, etc. Is California that strict on mods to your cars?
Old 08-15-2002, 12:41 PM
Burnham
Instructor

LA993,

It was a 200SX (S14a Model), or 240SX I think they are known as in the U.S.

They are quick in standard form (200BHP,6.4ish to 60, 140MPH top end) but I had a few HKS additions, Hybrid Garrett T28 running 1Bar boost, and Skyline R33 Brakes to stop it (330mm Disks!!) .

It was great fun and relitivly cheap to buy, and reliable even at 290BHP...but it was no Porsche. It was slighty lighter and felt quicker than the Porsche but the 993's speed is effortless and I like having the low down Torque with no Turbo lag. The 200SX had to be worked hard and the turbo spooled.

Check out that Rice Boy exhaust!!
<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/200sx.jpg" target="_blank">http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/200sx.jpg</a>

By far my favorite Riceburner mod was the twin Pillar Mounted Boost/Oil Pressure Gauges....ah great days.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:17 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

cn- those stickers would add ATLEAST 50 hp at the wheels..
Old 08-16-2002, 12:35 AM
Jessa
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Geoffrey:
<strong>

One interesting thing was the the cops busted people watching a street race and started writing tickets for cars being lowered below the 22" headling minimum, drilled airbox, lights in front of the A piller, wheels outside the fender lip, etc. Is California that strict on mods to your cars?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope. My windows are tinted noticably beyond the legal limit for CA. The car's been pulled over for traffic violations and cops have never so much as noticed. I regularly see modded cars with rear wheels a good few inches outside the fender, skirts so low they're dragging, noone gets cited it.

In fact, cops aren't allowed to pull you over for most violations of that nature because its considered an illegal search of your vehicle. The game is - at least where I live - to have enough restictions like that to make it easy to cite people who are clearly doing other illegal things with cars, but its too hard to convict them for it. There are all kinds of silly technicalities to get out of moving violations, but there's no way you can claim something 12inches wide isn't!

I'll bet writing all those tickets made for much better TV than just chasing people off. Some of the sillier mods are asking for it anyways .
Old 08-20-2002, 09:35 AM
j959
Instructor

it all depends what has been done to these ricers cars....

stickers and race car paint jobs are too far, but modding these cars to hell is fine...getting the same performance out of many jap cars is a 10th the cost of what it is with a porsche...

i like heavily modded cars of many makes, body kits (the decent ones) normally don't go too far and look great....

its only when people put stickers all over their cars, neon lights and rear wings on hatch backs that it becomes stupid...

by the way, there are a handful of jap engines which have more tunable potential than any porsche engine....and there are extremely well made jap engines, so while they may be cheap, there are a few jap engines that are up there with the best of them (honda, toyota, can anyone say nsx???supra tt, skyline r34 gtr??)

it seems some of you are snobs to any modded car less expensive to a porsche....

no, i do not think wings on hatchbacks, neon lights, and stickers and bad paint jobs are cool,

but i think there are many body kits, modded jap imports that are....

there are quite a few porsches riding with big rear wings, large exhausts, 19 inchc wheels and body kits.....

(some of these large ehxausts are actually logical....a highly turboed car needs them)

also, see what type of car they are....if they are a 300zx, 200sx, supra tt, 3000gt, rx7, these are normally soild cars many of them faster than alot of porsches...(theyre in the same class as corvettes i guess, good bang for your buck)

its really only the hondas that are 'riced'

the crx's, the integras, and the civics....

still, some of these can go, so be careful which cars you decide to laugh at....

(well if they have stickers all over their cars, and a rear wing on a hatchback, it's ok to laugh straight off....)

sure, some of these guys who throw 40k or more into a jap import could get a porsche, but then they wouldn't have the fast car they wanted....

a lot of these guys (the non stickered, blue neoned) care more about performance than most porsche owners....

porsche owners and jap import owners have similiar problems...

many porsche owners are posers because they want status....
many jap import owners are posers because they stick stickers, neon lights all over their cars....

like porsche owners, some are posers, some are not
Old 08-20-2002, 09:38 AM
j959
Instructor

posted a bit too much there, in case most of you skip it, my point is:

you get posers (which is what ricers are) in all types of cars, so don't create stereotypes....(like all porsche owners are ******, or ferrari guys have small d**ks....)
Old 08-20-2002, 10:56 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

yeah, and then you get the porsche pr*ck who wants to put a ricer engine in it and drive around posing....does it get any worse?
Old 08-20-2002, 11:30 AM
j959
Instructor

ahhh christer, what is a rice engine????
are you saying anything from japan is rice??

what about honda and toyota f1 engines???

at least i never thought of anything but a v8...

(i should've known i'd get so much crap for thinking of anything but a 911 engine in a 911)

Quick Reply: Kids and Modified Cars...