Notices

Out of state ticket ... traffic school?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 05:14 AM
Graham
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Out of state ticket ... traffic school?

I got a aircraft enforced ticket a couple weeks ago in California and I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on either fighting it or managing the 'damage' through traffic school.

I'm in WA and the ticket was in CA. I don't mind paying the fine, but I would like to avoid the insurance tax that they like to add to my premiums, plus I'm probably carrying some points already.

Can I do a remote traffic school and avoid the points? (I haven't been to traffic school before).

Thanks
Old 12-05-2001, 01:51 PM
Minh Pho
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can take traffic school, they will send info on the various traffic school options in the mail (including web based traffic schools). I think one of the one's that CA supports is www.webtrafficschool.com . Do points cross state borders? Will a California point affect your insurance?
Old 12-05-2001, 07:26 PM
Tabor
Drifting

States have to offer reciprocity to specific states for points to get on your record. You may be fine just paying it.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:40 PM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

From what I understand all states have reciprocity these days except maybe Michigan. I could be wrong though.

K
Old 12-06-2001, 08:37 PM
Randy
Instructor

I too got a ticket while trailering down to Laguna Seca about a year ago. I returned the ticket requesting traffic school and they sent back a notice saying that out of state licensees weren't subject to the same benefits as California residents, basically they said no. I wrote back begging, and they relented, giving me some info about classes at the College of the Siskiyous in Weed, which is just over the northern border. They absolutely will not allow out of state residents to take the on-line type courses. The class was actually very informative, and quite interesting, much to my pleasant surprise. I should point out that if they let you sign up, do it early, and find the classroom and get in the door early. The reason is that they overbook the classes, and if you're late, they don't let you in the door, period. Additionally, since they over book the classes, the seats are filled first come, first served and the folks left standing are screwed. Make sure to have all your documents in order, bring them, and take very seriously the instructions. It's about 8 hours from the Seattle area in good weather. Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:07 PM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

Wow Randy, that's surprising. I drove cross country on a New Jersey license picking up two tickets. First one in Texas, (91mph) the second a day later in Arizona (80mph). I went to traffic school here in California once for both tickets, which you're not supposed to do but the Texas judge( Judge Hinson as I recall), was cool about the whole thing as AZ demanded the actual proof of attendance. (Judge Hinson let me send him a Xerox)About 9 months later I changed my Jersey license for a California one.

Special K
Old 12-06-2001, 09:41 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I know that Connecticut and New York do not have reciprocity. I also know that Oregon doesn't with a lot of states because Oregon doesn't have "points".

Quick Reply: Out of state ticket ... traffic school?