Notices

Manual Trans and High revving engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 09:23 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Post Manual Trans and High revving engines

This forum has such a wide spectrum of participants, from tne novice owner to deicated track car owners, I wanted to confirm some old beliefs I've held. I've always believed that cars should be "exercised" occasionally. Meaning, they should be made to go the full spectrum of their designed capability. Otherwise, they become rusty and unwilling/unable to go the full range eventually. As an example, it can be perfectly routine to keep the RPM below 3000 at all times in regular driving. I noticed this when I had a Boxster Tip loaner. It would maintain the rpm around 2000. Only if pushed firmly would it even go to 3000 rpm. You need to floor it to get it beyond that. In my car, a manual, once warmed up, I would occasionally let it rev up to 6000 rpm on 2nd and 3rd gear just to "exercise" it. I expect the car to be a frequent driver, and rarely take it to DE's.

How about some thoughts.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:25 AM
Jim Sloves
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything up to redline is a green light for me! I'm still breaking in my C4S but on my old Ferrari and my ex-Boxster I had the tachometer never below 2200 and at all engine speeds up to redline.

I usually let the Boxster cruise on the highway to work at 3k rpm. But when I'm in the mood it was always 4k rpm and up.

When I track my Ferrari the rpms are usually 5000 to 7750 for the whole time.

Quick Reply: Manual Trans and High revving engines