Notices

Servicing Porsches at a different dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 10:28 PM
Tezta
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Servicing Porsches at a different dealer?

Have you guys/gals had any problems with having your Porsche serviced or checked at a different dealer than the one you purchased the car at? I know a few big Mercedes dealers in S. california that don't make a fuss, but what about Porsche?
Old 02-01-2003, 11:30 PM
Tezta
Advanced

Sorry i forgot to clarify, I'm talking about dealers in America not in Hong Kong.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:08 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts
I tried three separate Porsche dealers before I found an independent I was comfortable with and trusted leaving my car with. The dealership I purchased my 964RSA new from was okay but over 2 1/2 hours away. The other two treated me (and more importantly my car) no different from the original dealer. The issue became why should I pay a dealer twice as much for service as an independent that had double the experience and did not charge me retail for original (in the box, logo on the side) porsche parts.
The authorized Porsche service guys will treat you the same, whether you purchased the car from them or not, check around, southern California has some of the finest independent Porsche service centers in the world.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:49 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
A dealer shouldn't care where the car was bought. Given our mobile society and the fact that the purchase of a nice p-car can take you across the country you would think that they would be glad to just have the work come in. I was talking to my wrench last week and he was telling me that some dealers really don't like working on the older models because of 1) parts availability and 2) they don't see them that often and may not have wrenches that are really familiar with the cars. But like others have said, if you can find a local independant shop you trust then I would use them.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:38 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have two dealers and three independants in my area. I would never take my 964 to any of the independants. The dealers alway get my work since they have better trained techs and the equipment to handle my car.

Both dealers welcome me and my business (i.e. my wallet). The couldn't care less where my car was purchased new and just want the service work.

Also, the independants charge just as much for labor as the dealers. The dealers give me 10 to 25 % off part list prices too.

The key is to shop around and find a shop that you are comfortable with. Talk with other club members to see who they deal with and what kind of treatment they have received.

Just my $.02.
Jay
<a href="http://www.jays911.com" target="_blank">90 964</a>
Old 02-04-2003, 12:15 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I go to a dealer that didn't sell me my car and have no problem. I think that Porsche dealers look at profit centers just like other businesses...sales is one profit center and service is another. It's more of a comfort level question than anything else.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don's right. Dealerships look at how much revenue the Service Department brings in just as much as how many cars (at what profit level) the Sales department sells. Same goes for the Parts Department.

One dealership I used to deal with had a GREAT service department, while their sales staff was weak and the parts department was very poor.

Jay
90 964
Old 02-07-2003, 04:38 PM
alan911sc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can anybody recommend a good independent shop in the Buffalo/Western NY area. Local dealer reluctant to work (tie up technician on a 1990 vintage Porsche)on my C4 to trouble shoot HVAC. Did a DIY repair with the help of the 964 forum. The dealer now has a ways to go to get my business back. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:29 PM
cJm
Intermediate

I know Rennlist has a dealer locator page, just can't find it! Can anyone please enlighten me?
Thanks

Mike
1997 Boxster (sold it)
Old 02-27-2003, 06:40 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by DonW from.... Cape Cod:
<strong>I think that Porsche dealers look at profit centers just like other businesses...sales is one profit center and service is another.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">So true. In fact, I remember learning in B-School that the biggest profit centers for dealers are actually pre-owned vehicles and original parts.

Quick Reply: Servicing Porsches at a different dealer?