Porsche and Money

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 AM
budkitc
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche and Money

Hi everyone,
I found this forum online and thought I would post a message.
I am a Porsche enthusiast and have been for years. Of course the Porsche is not a cheap car and I will have one some day. I have read in many books to find what you want and learn from those who have what you want. That is what I'm doing. Research. I am looking to find out what type of careers Porsche owners have. Not sure if you can help at all but maybe you can steer me in some direction.
Thanks
Douglas
Old 10-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do what you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:27 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I've been a Porsche enthusiast my entire life too. I can remember drooling over my best friend's dad's 914 when I was probably ~6-7 years old. I finally bought my first Porsche (a 944 Turbo) this summer, I'm 32.

One thing I've learned about Porsche owners, is that they're really not quite what you'd think. You don't really have to be "rich" to own one. Ok a brand new one... yeah, maybe, as new ones aren't cheap. But you really can get the same Porsche experience going used. (Some would argue that an older car is more "pure" anyways.) Heck you can find 944's in good shape for well under $10k even - some even under $5k that just need a little love.

And what I really didn't expect - nearly every PCA event I've been to (autocross, DE, and Rallye) has been 75% older cars (80s air-cooled 911s, and a lot of early Boxsters) owned mostly middle class, regular every day people who are just enthusiasts. NOT the ritzy snob fest of doctors, lawyers, CPAs and entrepreneurs I was expecting. (I suppose your region may be different, but the Chicago region is full of pretty awesome, down to earth people.)

As for me - I'm a Program Manager for Microsoft. The best way to describe my role would be to say that I'm a software developer but without the actual "writing code" part. I admit I do reasonably well. But I'm also fairly frugal after going through the financial ringer the last couple years (lots of legal fun with my wife's deadbeat ex-husband.) I went the cheaper route and picked up one of my childhood favorite cars (944 Turbo) as a toy (3rd car in the household) and have realized it's not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. They need little things here and there, but so long as you're smart about it, do the research, and are handy with some tools, they're a reasonably cheap hobby. Where they can get pricey is when you start hiring people to maintain them for you, or don't maintain them at all until something big breaks.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

So far, you are getting good advice. Do what you like, and you don't have to buy new enjoy the Porsche family experience. I bought my first 6 Porsches when I was young and had just joined the Navy. Those 6 cars were in the first 10 years of my Navy service when I wasn't making a lot money. The next 10 included plenty of new ones. But, the most recent one, I bought when it was already 5 years old.
Do whatever makes you happy and pays the bills. Keep your eye on the goal, don't keep waiting for something "else" to happen before you buy your first or next one. And, as always, the rule of thumb for most Porsche buyers is: "Always buy the newest one you can afford (at that time)."
Old 10-11-2009, 02:40 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by budkitc
I am looking to find out what type of careers Porsche owners have.
I'm an electronics tech. Not what you expected; the usual doctor, lawyer, or self employed business owner.

Owning what you want is a matter of priorities.

I've wanted a Porsche 911 ever since one of the gas companies was giving a 911 Targa away back in the late 60s when I was ten years old.

So what took so long? I could have bought one sooner, but I kept putting it off, until I was nearly taken out by a lame brain car driver while I was on my motorcycle. Life is short! Live it!

This should help...
Porsche Commercial
Old 10-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...maybe you can steer me in some direction...budkitc
Douglas:

There are professional career counsellers out there who can test your skills and determine your interests, and advise you on career path options. When our daughter was in her teens, we retained one for a complete consultation, and it was very helpful in allowing her to narrow down her career choices.

I would recommend you invest some money in this, and good luck to you.

It's interesting to observe how much of a motivator a particular car can be. I remember, like yesterday, seeing the just introduced yellow Ferrari 275 GTS on the cover of Car and Driver magazine. I was then in my teens, and I read the article over and over, and determined that I would get a career that would enable me, some day, to buy one.

But I never did (buy one).

Last edited by Rinty; 10-18-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:40 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
I was then in my teens, and I read the article over and over, and determined that I would get a career that would enable me, some day, to buy one.
That is fine as long as the career happened to be exactly what you really wanted to do.

I've been lucky in that I've always done what I enjoyed doing; money was secondary.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:15 PM
BlackAddr
Advanced

There is some Great advice here! The whole key IMHO is if you really love the car, it doesn't matter what you do, you will place yourself in a position to own own eventually. I almost bought my first one when I was 18, but I couldn't talk the guy into selling it to me. (Long Story) Anyways, I have had a number of "interesting jobs" and I am more or less an entrepreneur, but so far I haven't bought a new one. And to be honest I likely never will. You can get a great deal if you buy a used one, not to mention save a great deal of money.

Do what you enjoy and life has a way of rewarding you. The only thing I would say is don't work at a job just because it pays well especially if you hate the job, in the long run you will not be happy.

As "OmniGLH says: ' You don't really have to be "rich" to own one."

But the one piece of advice I would say here and I would imagine that most people here would agree, is that always have a second car, this way if the Porsche breaks down or needs parts, you will always have a way to get to the Auto Parts Store.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

The Classes serve the Masses.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:44 PM
redcarman
Instructor

As others have stated, there is a lot of good advice here.

I had always wanted a 911 for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid my brother had a white 911 RSR with the duck tail rear spoiler that we both fought over. During my teenage years I always lusted over the 80's era red 911 SC/Carrera's. When I graduated from University I made myself a promise that I would own a 911 by the time I was 30, but that never happened. Things like my getting married, buying our first house, and having kids has a way of making you lose focus of your earlier goals. Well about 2 years ago, at age 40, I finally fulfilled my life ong goal and bought my 1988 911.

Porsche ownership (or any other collectible car for that matter) is not cheap. If you don't earn a reasonable living it is unlikely that you will be able to afford one, especially if you are married with children. The cost of ownership can be decreased by doing your own work; however you still need to buy the vehicle and then buy the replacement parts. I am a Transportation Engineer in private consullting and I admit that I and do reasonanbly well. I have two brothers that are not as well off as me and they both envy my Porsche.

My advice to you is if you are academically inclined is to get as good an education as you can and choose a career that you will enjoy. If academics is not your thing look for a high paying trade that you would enjoy doing - if you have hired a plumber or electrician lately you will kmow what I mean. Also, an older Porsche should be a fun car and not a daily driver so that you are not left without a car to drive when you have mechanical problems that need to be sorted. Also, make sure that owning the car does not get in the way of providing for your family and children and you should be OK.

Good Luck with your future!

Last edited by redcarman; 01-21-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:22 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A small business coach told me once " the easiest way to get what you want is to help others get what they want" It's a quote i cannot credit to anyone specific. After decades in the porsche business and ownership of several, I can tell you that Porsche owners are an interesting cross section of people. The typical doctor/lawyer stuff does not really apply. I know many vocational types that have sweet cars, but you should definitly stick with academics and keep the Porsche as a goal. Life is useless without a goal. When you get a Porsche you will appreciate it and value the experiance and all it took to get it.
For now, join PCA and start getting involved. Volunteer with you local chapter of PCA to aid in their events and gatherings and you will get the best part of ownership without buying the car - the community of like MINDED people. Maybe visit the Porsche shops in your community and volunteer to help out. I was a shop forman in a porshe only shop and I took in several youthful helpers. They did all sorts of stuff and were valuable helpers and friends. They quickly started getting paychecks and all sorts of perks. I know of three kids I took in that all have gone to collage and all own Porsche cars.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by redcarman
As others have stated, there is a lot of good advice here.

I had always wanted a 911 for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid my brother had a white 911 RSR with the duck tail rear spoiler that we both fought over. During my teenage years I always lusted over the 80's era red 911 SC/Carrera's. When I graduated from University I made myself a promise that I would own a 911 by the time I was 30, but that never happened. Things like my getting married, buying our first house, and having kids has a way of making you lose focus of your earlier goals. Well about 2 years ago, at age 40, I finally fulfilled my life ong goal and bought my 1988 911.

Porsche ownership (or any other collectible car for that matter) is not cheap. If you don't earn a reasonable living it is unlikely that you will be able to afford one, especially if you are married with children. The cost of ownership can be decreased by doing your own work; however you still need to buy the vehicle and then buy the replacement parts. I am a Transportation Engineer in private consullting and I admit that I and do reasonanbly well. I have two brothers that are not as well off as me and they both envy my Porsche.

My advice to you is if you are academically inclined is to get as good an education as you can and choose a career that you will enjoy. If academics is not your thing look for a high paying trade that you would enjoy doing - if you have hired a plumber or electrician lately you will kmow what I mean. Also, an older Porsche should be a fun car and not a daily driver so that you are not left without a car to drive when you have mechanical problems that need to be sorted. Also, make sure that owning the car does not get in the way of providing for your family and children and you should be OK.

Good Luck with your future!
Agreed. I too had my 30 year old goal but when I hit the big three oh, I was married, new home, and had one child. I delayed it by 8 months and got it the summer after. I had to be confident my family foundations were solid before venturing into buying the 911 as a toy.

As for what do Porsche owners do for a living....they range as you can see. But like the others have said, find something you are passionate about and work hard at getting good at it. Work hard to work up in that field. The money will take care of itself.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:51 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great story, thanks!

Jeff

Originally Posted by whalebird
A small business coach told me once " the easiest way to get what you want is to help others get what they want" It's a quote i cannot credit to anyone specific. After decades in the porsche business and ownership of several, I can tell you that Porsche owners are an interesting cross section of people. The typical doctor/lawyer stuff does not really apply. I know many vocational types that have sweet cars, but you should definitly stick with academics and keep the Porsche as a goal. Life is useless without a goal. When you get a Porsche you will appreciate it and value the experiance and all it took to get it.
For now, join PCA and start getting involved. Volunteer with you local chapter of PCA to aid in their events and gatherings and you will get the best part of ownership without buying the car - the community of like MINDED people. Maybe visit the Porsche shops in your community and volunteer to help out. I was a shop forman in a porshe only shop and I took in several youthful helpers. They did all sorts of stuff and were valuable helpers and friends. They quickly started getting paychecks and all sorts of perks. I know of three kids I took in that all have gone to collage and all own Porsche cars.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:26 AM
drew44
Instructor

budkitc, What do you do at the moment? Are you young like me? I'm 22. I am currently in school pursuing a finance degree. I'm have liked Porsches for quite a few years now, ever since I saw my neighbor's old 944 haha. I told myself that I would have one. I like all Porsche's not just 944's. So i saved and my junior year of high school I bought my first 944 (87 n/a maraschino red). I loved the car. I saved up most of the money for it, but did finance some through my parents. Later they said it was all paid for, for my graduation gift from high school. Got lucky with this deal. Anyway, I owned it for three or more years, then one night a drunk driver hit me head on and the car was totaled. Kid didn't have insurance of course, but all in all I came out out on top with this deal, getting more then I paid for the car. At this point, I'm in college. I told my parents the next step would be a 951. After I wrecked the car, I wanted one bad, but decided that I would not buy one until I graduated. The thing is with these cars, it's really hard to be without one once you've owned one. I was having withdraws haha, so recently I purchased my first 951 (87 guards red). The car is an absolute blast to drive! Hands down. There are all kinds of P car owners, I know of a dentist with a 997 gt3, met him at a car show, super nice and very much a porsche guy, not just for status, I HATE THIS! But, anyway everyone is right on here with their advice. Just though I would tell my story since I'm younger and a student. As for a current job, I have two. I work very few hrs at a grocery store stocking, just because i"ve been there since I was 16. I still help out. But my main job is lawn care, while in school. A friend and I started a lawn care business from the ground up and while we're not huge or anything, we do good for our size and it supports having an older P car. And the advice about having a second car is some of the best you'll get. I drive a ford focus daily.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Read this thread, it should help you out.

https://rennlist.com/forums/carrera-...-a-living.html

Quick Reply: Porsche and Money