Notices

Porsche and Money

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm a 28 years old college dropout, former Paratrooper. I work in the defense industry now, pay is decent but I am definitely not rich. You can find some real good deals out there, private party is the way to go imo.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:07 AM
deptotpr
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

It is like anything in life, if you want it bad enough, you will do what it takes to get it. Even it does takes 'the decades in between.'
Old 06-02-2010, 11:15 AM
ohdavey6286
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone here is giving you good advice, you have to do what you love. When you find what you love to do money is easy to make. I do fit the normal Porsche stigma (stock broker) but I do it because it interest me, not for the money. Do I make tons of money? No, but I love Porsche's and thats what I spend my money on. Buy what makes you happy.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:50 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

I like this topic. From my own personal experience, I've always wanted a Porsche. I've owned Ford's, Nissan's, Honda's, you name it. I've always had goals in my life and the Porsche was definitely on the list. I started off driving an old Ford Probe (try not to laugh) prior to joining the military. Through the years I've "upgraded" to reward myself for hard-work and personal financial management. If you have been in the military, you know we are underpaid and they just give you enough to get by. Anyway, just before earning my bachelor's degree (while in the service), I once again wanted to reward myself. So, this year I just bought a 2000 996 after selling my 2001 Audi S4. Amazing car and I can't ask for anything else right now.

Soon, I will be approaching another crossroad in my life where I need to transition out of the military (in about 18 months). In the mean time I will be starting my Graduate degree while I set other personal goals for myself.

To conclude, I would have to say the best thing to do is to educate yourself, set short-term and long-term goals and don't loose sight of those goals.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:07 AM
Kenneth Greenfield
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Douglas,

Thanks for starting a thought provoking thread. I don't think it is really so important what one does for a living. Yes, I agree with the others that urge doing what you enjoy. Life is just too short to do other wise. Then it it is not really "work". I am an antique dealer who sells strictly on the internet. It took me a lot of years to find my place in life which really meant NOT working for others. In what I do I have the freedom and ability to set my own pace and pretty much do what I want when I want.

When it comes to cars you need to find the car(s) that fit your personality and help you acquire the most enjoyment possible from a car(s). I guess what is important is that you are first and most importantly a car guy (or gal) who enjoys cars.

I remember in the 50's I could not wait for the Look, Post, and Life magazines would come out in September with advertisements for all of the new cars coming out. I would cut the pictures out and study and dream of when my turn would come. I remember all of the chrome and fins of that era. But each generation of cars is unique in its own way. This is VERY true when it come to Porsche. Front engine, mid engine, or rear engine. Porsche has them all. Air cooled or water cooled another choice. With a top or no top? Sports car, Sport Utility, or now even a four door sedan? Lots of choices there. What is the right choice? The one that allows you to have the most fun of course. I still remember in the 80's when I had a 944 and all of the arguments that we had in PCA about the 911 and the 944. The 911 owners looked down their noses at the 944 because it was water cooled. Today the argument is more that the Cayenne or Panamera is not a real Porsche unlike the Porsche Spots cars. To me that is the genius of Porsche is that there is a car for everybody.

Owning a Porsche means you own one of the finest cars in the world. One of the benefits of owning a Porsche is that regardless of where you live you can join the Porsche Club of America. You will meet like minded owners. The great thing about PCA is that there is something for everybody. You want to sir around and have a beer and talk about Porsches? That is always available. You want to do things with your car like doing a rally, autocross, or councours? PCA has you covered. Would you like to see what it is like to drive your Porsche at speed at some of the best known race tracks in America? PCA has that.

PCA can be as social or as technical as you want it to be. That is the real beauty of owning and driving a Porsche. Many people have stated to you that you can buy one brand new, ten years old, twenty years old, etc. All true and you need only find your first Porsche and join in the fun. We welcome you! Ken Greenfield

As for me I could never really decide on one Porsche. Today I have a 2009 Cayenne and a 2009 Boxster "S" for driving on the street. I also have two 914-6 race cars for my favorite track activity: racing and PCA Driver's Education. Get your feet wet and join the fun. Ken Greenfield
Old 07-08-2010, 06:28 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by budkitc
I am looking to find out what type of careers Porsche owners have.
I'm a fluffer.

Quick Reply: Porsche and Money