Notices

18 year old kid lost in life please help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009 | 03:39 AM
JosephSantoyo
5th Gear

Default 18 year old kid lost in life please help.

Hey guys this is my first post, I am not sure if I am in the proper place to ask but I have been browsing the forums for quite a while and you are a great community.

There's a place near my house which focuses on porsche tuning, I have no experience as an auto mechanic tuning cars and such, although I took an auto class in one semester of my high school. I would really love to work at that auto shop, doing whatever it takes to learn because I really love cars and I have a passion for them. I feel a bit lost in life not sure which path I will be going in as I am going into commerce in university. Deep inside I want to work with cars and I also love investing and commerce. I just don't know how I'd get there I have never had experience working around cars I wouldn't even know what to say to the auto shop. I would definitely like to work there and be in that environment. Do you guys have any ideas what I could do?

I apologize if the post does not make sense as it is 3 am and I am having one of those 18 year old mid-night crises.

- Joseph Santoyo.
Old 08-10-2009 | 03:13 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

From: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Hi Joseph, Don't feel like the Lone Stranger at your age. The whole world is now open to you. You may or may not pick the right door at this time. Things and interests change over time. You could go to a Tech School and take an automotive class. It would be something that you can always use to your advantage thru out life and save yourself $$$ by doing your own work. Any class is worth while IF you enjoy it. Look at the job market now and what is projected in the future. Pick one that you will enjoy getting up and going to work each day. There is nothing worse than a job you learn to hate. A big demand is Bio-Enviromental Engineering, a great job and you can find work in almost any location. It is inside and outside work, so your not tied down to a desk all day. Read about different jobs and skills required. You will find that you can not please everyone all the time. There is back biting and BS in any job no matter where you work. If you enjoy the work you can excell in anything. Best of luck youngman in whatever you choose.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 08-10-2009 | 03:57 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Brother,

If I can suggest one thing, its go with what you LOVE, not what others tell you you should do. I was at a crossroads at the same age not too long ago (I'm in my early 20's), and I was confused as to what I should do. I graduated from a high school that prides itself in the high percentage of students that go onto college...something like 90%. I knew it wasn't for me (at the time) and joined the Marines, much to my parents, teachers, peers, and counselors' chagrin. Now, 4 years later, I KNOW I made the right decision. I've loved every minute of it so far...and in just a few weeks now, I'm getting back home and kicking off college again. Being young, without a family, debt, etc. is the perfect opportunity to explore what YOU want to do, with little negative consequences (of course assuming you dont go off the deep end...). Now would I ever tell someone NOT to go to college? No. But its not going anywhere if you decide to do something else for now.

As to the Porsche shop, well, go in and tell them what you've told us. Maybe they dont have anthing for you except to be a janitor for the place...be the best damn janitor they've ever seen, and make sure the shop shines everyday. ****, maybe you can just volunteer to help out and shadow the techs one day a week. Once you've proved yourself as a worker, I guarantee you they'll take notice and move you on to bigger and better things.

The advice you've gotten above is very sound as well - you've got a bright future ahead if you are willing to work for it.

Take care
Old 08-10-2009 | 07:40 PM
JosephSantoyo
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3
Hi Joseph, Don't feel like the Lone Stranger at your age. The whole world is now open to you. You may or may not pick the right door at this time. Things and interests change over time. You could go to a Tech School and take an automotive class. It would be something that you can always use to your advantage thru out life and save yourself $$$ by doing your own work. Any class is worth while IF you enjoy it. Look at the job market now and what is projected in the future. Pick one that you will enjoy getting up and going to work each day. There is nothing worse than a job you learn to hate. A big demand is Bio-Enviromental Engineering, a great job and you can find work in almost any location. It is inside and outside work, so your not tied down to a desk all day. Read about different jobs and skills required. You will find that you can not please everyone all the time. There is back biting and BS in any job no matter where you work. If you enjoy the work you can excell in anything. Best of luck youngman in whatever you choose.

Cheers,
Larry
Thank you so much for the great advice, I was thinking to do my first year in commerce to see if it's for me, if not I will take another route. Its extremely frightening to just choose a completely different path if university isn't for me, but I was always a big believer in following your heart.
Old 08-10-2009 | 07:43 PM
JosephSantoyo
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ChaseN
Brother,

If I can suggest one thing, its go with what you LOVE, not what others tell you you should do. I was at a crossroads at the same age not too long ago (I'm in my early 20's), and I was confused as to what I should do. I graduated from a high school that prides itself in the high percentage of students that go onto college...something like 90%. I knew it wasn't for me (at the time) and joined the Marines, much to my parents, teachers, peers, and counselors' chagrin. Now, 4 years later, I KNOW I made the right decision. I've loved every minute of it so far...and in just a few weeks now, I'm getting back home and kicking off college again. Being young, without a family, debt, etc. is the perfect opportunity to explore what YOU want to do, with little negative consequences (of course assuming you dont go off the deep end...). Now would I ever tell someone NOT to go to college? No. But its not going anywhere if you decide to do something else for now.

As to the Porsche shop, well, go in and tell them what you've told us. Maybe they dont have anthing for you except to be a janitor for the place...be the best damn janitor they've ever seen, and make sure the shop shines everyday. ****, maybe you can just volunteer to help out and shadow the techs one day a week. Once you've proved yourself as a worker, I guarantee you they'll take notice and move you on to bigger and better things.

The advice you've gotten above is very sound as well - you've got a bright future ahead if you are willing to work for it.

Take care
Thank you for the great advice as well. I will go in there tomorrow and ask them if I could just volounteer, I haven't really thought of that so thank you very much. I'll update on how it goes tomorrow. It would be nice to just watch them at work or even be the janitor there just to be near the cars.
Old 08-11-2009 | 02:08 PM
sweet928
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JosephSantoyo
Thank you for the great advice as well. I will go in there tomorrow and ask them if I could just volounteer, I haven't really thought of that so thank you very much. I'll update on how it goes tomorrow. It would be nice to just watch them at work or even be the janitor there just to be near the cars.
Just go out there and try things that you are interested in and the opportunities will present themselves. Most importantly do your work with enthusiasm and it will be noticed and rewarded.

Oh yeah, Try to find a mentor. Seek out the best and brightest and learn from them and try to be like them.
Old 08-11-2009 | 04:20 PM
JosephSantoyo
5th Gear

Originally Posted by sweet928
Just go out there and try things that you are interested in and the opportunities will present themselves. Most importantly do your work with enthusiasm and it will be noticed and rewarded.

Oh yeah, Try to find a mentor. Seek out the best and brightest and learn from them and try to be like them.
Unfortunately the manager was not there apparently he is on vacation for a couple weeks so I left my name and number and hopefully he will get back to me. If not I will keep going back until I can speak with him.
Old 08-12-2009 | 12:46 PM
new914owner
Track Day

do what u love. i hope he gets back to u! let us know what happens
Old 08-19-2009 | 08:43 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JosephSantoyo
If not I will keep going back until I can speak with him.
Good attitude right there...that will take you far in life.

Take care.
Old 08-29-2009 | 06:07 PM
JosephSantoyo
5th Gear

So I went back and he told me that he wasn't looking for anyone at the moment, so I am going to try a couple Dealerships and some auto-shops, I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 10-24-2009 | 11:57 AM
Maxsar
Racer

He might not be looking for someone right now. He also might be trying to avoid getting someone who really isn't committed to the work. A lot of guys talk a good game. Give it a couple months. Then go back and pop in. Tell him that you don't want to bug him, but you would just check in to see if he needed you to do help out. He will most likely blow you off again. Just ask him if it is ok if you check back in another few months. If he says it is, and if you do follow up then my guess is sooner or later he will relent.

Good luck. I agree with going with what you love, but also keep an open mind. It is amazing how things have a tendency to work out. I have been making ink for over 25 years. There is no way I would characterize that as my first love. Along the way I started my own business, traveled the world, and been able to create a nice work environment for 65 other people. I had no idea what I really wanted to be when I started out. In retrospect I realize that I really love business strategy. I like to figure out where the world is, where it is going, and how to position my dinky little company to capitalize my guesses.

I hope this is helpful. I remember how worried I was about succeeding when I was younger, and just wanted to offer another perspective.
Old 10-25-2009 | 01:47 AM
Alex.M
Intermediate

Regardless of what career path you chose, you need to make sure that you keep valuing your family and friends. Balanced life is the key happiness.
Old 02-10-2010 | 07:00 AM
pkjense
Racer

Great advice from all. I would especially consider Chase's advice if you are at a crossroad. I work in defence, and have never heard anyone express regrets at signing up. See the world, learn a trade, get an education, and get payed to do so. Not a bad deal!

I'll add a litle something that has seen me through life since I read it in my early 20's:
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

I started chemo therapy last month. What did I do this month? Bought another 911. Why? because when it comes to beating this thing, 'I THINK I CAN!"

And, besides, buying a 911 beats wallowing in self pity any day...
Old 02-14-2010 | 01:06 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Joseph, you might want to also post over in the Jobs Wanted - Help Needed forum. https://rennlist.com/forums/jobs-wan...lp-needed-171/

When I was a flight instructor we had a young guy come in around 14 years old. He had the same kind of drive for aviation that you seem to have for cars. He just hung around, pumped gas for free, got to know everyone. Pretty soon guys were taking him up flying, etc. He now flies a 767 internationally for Delta. Stick with whatever you want to do and you can make it happen. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2010 | 06:10 PM
Willie P
Instructor

you could make some nice money going and finding old(er) air cooled porsches (sometimes just by combing ads in papers, web and so on and trying to culitvate potential buyers (over the web) - set up a website and go. get an unlimited cell phone plan. just take a finders fee. set a goal for a certain amount of cars each month to "matchmake" - maybe 2 or 3 and get a $500 referal fee and get to a point where you can match 5-10 a month and get your fee closer to $1000 and you'll make a nice living and be driving your own Porsche sooner than you think.

it'll be a ton of work - but everything in life worth doing requires work.

good way to be around cars and still make a living and doesn't require any specialized skill (like engineering or medical or accounting, etc...)

just don't ever say "i'm going to take 'em to monterrey and make a lot of money!"...(ha)

Quick Reply: 18 year old kid lost in life please help.