First Porsche... 993 or Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The 993 forum has an active thread discussing the OEM RS shifter and Golden Rod upgrade to address this issue.

996TT owners have upgraded to the OEM 997TT shifter (drop in replacement) and Suncoast Porsche offers this part with upgraded (machined) bushings as a 'GT' upgrade.

There have been reports of 'notchiness' and 'difficultly engaging gears' with non OEM shift kits, like the B&M, so a search of the forums before purchasing is always recommended.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:40 PM
equ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted for a cayman... All cars depreciate because better cars keep coming out. Some (like some 911's and ferraris etc) manage to keep or increase value, but that's due to lack of supply and demand due to various reasons. I did not like the 993 pedals.

If I want to drive and enjoy a modern car, I'll take the faster, better handling one with a four year warranty and then enjoy as much as I like. If I want to collect or "sort-of-collect", I'd go for some older one.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:19 AM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by equ
I voted for a cayman... All cars depreciate because better cars keep coming out. Some (like some 911's and ferraris etc) manage to keep or increase value, but that's due to lack of supply and demand due to various reasons. I did not like the 993 pedals.

If I want to drive and enjoy a modern car, I'll take the faster, better handling one with a four year warranty and then enjoy as much as I like. If I want to collect or "sort-of-collect", I'd go for some older one.
I do not think the original question had this much information to ponder. If we're expanding the information of the anticipated purchase then maybe a 4 year warranty would sway someone but right now it's not part of the decision process. From my reading and understanding the 993's are reliable and offer good value.

Please finish this statement, "I do not like pedals on the 993 because .... "
Old 07-27-2009, 04:13 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of the Caymans that we have looked at have had warranties, and that is something that we have considered but will probably not sway our decision.
I met with Steve, a local SD PCA member who showed me his 993 race car that he had for sale. He let me go over with my wife even though he knew we weren't looking for that kind of car. Extremely nice guy and he told us a lot of useful information about the 993's. Right now I have my mind set on a 993, but if a Cayman S comes along at a good price (sub $30K) I will jump on it.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:16 AM
Nightfly
Reanimator
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I may be too late for this, but.....buy what you like to drive the most, you'll never regret it. Buying a car as an investment if you have to drive it, when you'd rather have something different, is just plain nuts.

Quick Reply: First Porsche... 993 or Cayman S?