Notices

Are Porsches magnetic??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Porscheluxe
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Are Porsches magnetic??

Maybe there is a Psychologist on the board? Part question, part letting off steam...

I picked up my 997 after a service appointment and had to pick up some stuff from the market on the way home. Like most owners, I suspect, I choose to try to preserve my paint by parking about a half dozen spaces away from the crowd.

When I returned, my Porsche was hemmed in on each side by a MommyVan, a poorly aging C class, and a general POS sedan behind me. There were still a few spaces between my location and the hoi polloi, with no evident need to join me.

Trying to open the doors to get access to the back seat was a challenge. This was made difficult since the MommyVan's occupants, for whom I waited to load their groceries, continued to occupy the space as Dad started the vehicle and made a lengthy cell phone call.

Needless to say, it bugs me (and probably you) when other vehicles needlessly cluster around your carefully maintained Porsche. I see others (usually Vettes) straddle spaces, but I just don't want to be that guy.

I've not posted this to start a bitchfest, just a wanted to vent a bit and wonder -- what makes people mob the Porsche when dozens of closer, perfectly good parking places exist? And what is the specific number of spaces are required to avoid this behavior?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:20 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

perhaps they're just thinking that anyone with that nice a car would never throw open a door and ding their car!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:48 PM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happens all the time. Murphy's law that a junky car who's owner doesn't care about it's state of preservation always parks next to a nice car (Regardless if is a P car or some other nice car).
Old 05-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I recall one particularly lengthy debate about this in OT. I"m too lazy to look it up. MHO on the "close parkers"; some random, some a**holes.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you resist persists. Let it go.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:41 AM
BlackAddr
Advanced

Since I am a first time P Car owner, I was just thinking about this tonight. I pulled into a Parking lot on the way home to grab some ice cream. No one was in whole section I choose to park in.(It is a very big lot, as it is in a strip mall.) While I am in the Coldstone, everyone comes into Coldstone. I walk outside and sure enough, one side an old POS Minivan and the other was some other clunker, the rest of the lot was almost still empty? WTF??? Why does this happen? Don't people have respect for nice things anymore?
Old 05-30-2009, 04:28 AM
Tania W
Racer

Can't remember where I read it, but someone wrote that you should always park next to an expensive car in a carpark, presumedly because the driver of that car won't ding your door with theirs.
I always try and park away from other cars to avoid door dings, and don't mind having to walk extra distance to achieve it. Ivariably there will be another car parked next to me when I return. I always look and see how close they are and if there are any new door dings. Touch wood, so far there haven't been.
The cars that end up parked next to me are normally "normal" type cars...lateish models...not real old dungers, so maybe that is the reason...Ma and Pa average figuring I won't ding their doors. Hopefully in return they are just a careful with mine
Old 05-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you always park next to an expensive car, then a thief will hopefully take that over yours!
Old 06-04-2009, 05:57 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a strategy of choosing corner spots, the magnetism on your car is not as strong if it is in a corner..
Old 06-04-2009, 06:21 AM
Porker928
Rennlist Member

928's are not magnetic. They are mostly Aluminum. :o)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQbHnLSasfQ

Quick Reply: Are Porsches magnetic??