Watches? Fire@rms?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Bob, I don't know you or have much experience with you or your posts/style. I might point out however that I (not Jim) in fact posted this thread in the 964 forum and would not have done so had you not posted 'stickies' at the top of the same forum heralding your 'Watches' and 'Firearms' forums. What do THEY have to do with the 964...or Porsches...or even bloody cars for that matter???
Kahdmus, the sticky you refer to was a board wide announcement which was at the top of *every* forum. You see I was not picking on 964 The idea of putting it (temporarily it will expire in a week or two) everywhere was to ensure that topics on watches, jobs, and firearms did not end up in the technical forums.

Regards,
Old 01-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Kahdmus, the sticky you refer to was a board wide announcement which was at the top of *every* forum. You see I was not picking on 964 The idea of putting it (temporarily it will expire in a week or two) everywhere was to ensure that topics on watches, jobs, and firearms did not end up in the technical forums.

Regards,
Bob, you missed the point entirely...why is this not a surprise?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:09 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta admit I scratched my head when I saw that. I can sorta get the watches, but guns (some of us may time cars at a track event, but we rarely shoot at them!).

Anyway, probably not renewing...
Old 01-28-2009, 06:55 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm trying to understand the issues regarding taking some of the popular (yet non political) topics out of OT and giving them their own forums.

If the forums end up not being visited/contributed to, then they can/should be removed, but so far that does not seem to be the case.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Oh snap! My membership ran out! What to do what to do ...

I vote to have a Toiletries forum added. What self-respecting Porsche driver does not want to know about the latest deodorant, toilet paper, soap, shampoo etc.? I think we all use it and it should be discussed.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:04 AM
moorepower
Pro

Originally Posted by hitbyastick

I vote to have a Toiletries forum added. What self-respecting Porsche driver does not want to know about the latest deodorant, toilet paper, soap, shampoo etc.? I think we all use it and it should be discussed.
Us 924 guys use generic toiletries (if we use them at all).

Lets discuss......
Old 01-29-2009, 04:05 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

There is a very large active group of firearms enthusiests on rennlist who have hosted many events and are generally a highly active part of this community.

I don't see how it is much different than having the HWFM forum. This is a technical forum but it is also much more than that.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:08 AM
animal8526
Banned

Received 147 Likes on 84 Posts

What Ryan said.

The thing that made this website great was the community of real people behind the content of the forums. It just so happens that many of us have bridged the gap between "virtual" and "actual" communities. It should be no great shock that those of us who share common interest beyond P-cars enjoy sharing those interest amongst a community we already belong to.

Two things that could perhaps help some the confused understand the value of having forums here for some of the other shared interest...

When you go to a "X" forum, if the thing that "X" represents doesn't take much to get, then "X" forum may run the gambit as far as membership goes. Slinkies are not expensive by products of a productive life. Not saying people who own slinkies can't be productive, but there is nothing in owning a slinky that speaks to ones productivity. Guns are the same way. Porsches on the other hand, are generally byproducts of a productive life... As such, the caliber of people populating a Porsche forum tends to be higher. I love discussing a hobby of mine other than P-cars with members of a P-car forum... The discourse is intelligent and not usually stale. It might not be so good on a honda forum... Or even a gun forum.

Next, when someone already belongs to this community and they are just getting into a new hobby like firearms, it is distinctly more comfortable for them to be discussing such things and asking questions among people they already "know".

I hope that was helpful to some of you. To those of you with the gag reflex upon hearing "guns", I can't help you. Nor would I wish to try.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:27 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by animal8526

I hope that was helpful to some of you. To those of you with the gag reflex upon hearing "guns", I can't help you. Nor would I wish to try.
Guns are not the problem. I have a-plenty. It's just that we never had this dealt with before, now we have a Porsche forum dealing with it, so that IB can sell more ads, because the demographic is so awesome? Please ... If I want a gun forum, I'll Google a gun forum
Old 01-29-2009, 01:34 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I liken this to separation of church and state. Is the intent of Rennlist to be a one-stop shop for all my forum needs? Should it be? Do potential theives look at my car, and then run to the guns section to see if I carry a gun around also? I understand you have comfort with others you already know, but in the physical real life how would you go about joining up a new hobby?

I ask again- where is the photography forum, as there are a ton of threads in ALL the respective car sections related to images of cars be they on the track, parked in a sweet location, on a flatbed, etc. We've even got a calendar put out by our own Women of Rennlist, and sold for a Rennlist-sponsored charitable organization- which involves both cars and photography.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

hitbyastick - you might consider that folks in this forum often enjoy discussing things other than their cars. Why? I think it's because you enjoy talking about other things with your friends (as opposed to complete strangers). If you look at OT (beware!) the Random firearms thread has over 16,500 views. One of the biggest on RL.
As a guy who is privy to some of the inner workings of IB (only some I am an unpaid volunteer like Marc Shaw and the rest), there seems to be a perception that they are some sort of evil empire (see Starwars). They aren't. The big change I've seen is some banner ads. Are they really that much of a nuisance? Personally I am more annoyed by site slowdowns and or outages!

Hawk - you may be right about a photography forum. if enough people ask for it, it could happen for the same reasons as posted immediately above. Would you prefer to discuss race photography techniques and equipment with your pals or go to a photo site? I suspect there hasn't been much call for a separate forum because such things are regularly talked about in existing forums since they pertain to cars, and in our case, Porsches. Make sense?

As a reminder, the Firearms forum will become Members Only in a week or two. Like OT. If the intent was to bring in a horde of gun fans, it would be open to all, like this forum. Fact is, it isn't. Rather its destined to be a place for a considerable number of RL Members to chat to their friends about another of their pass times.

I don't know if this helps allay your concerns, but them's the facts.

Best,
Old 01-29-2009, 03:00 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Bob, I think the reason there isn't a lot of talk about photography is those people are already in/on photography forums outside RL.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Hawk - that makes sense to me.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Ryan and Tim. The Rennlist community has a different demographic than the typical firearm forum. I prefer this demographic for discussing my guns.

Besides, the Firearm forum has 237 posts/day since its inception. It is a more active forum than many long standing RL ones!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
...Besides, the Firearm forum has 237 posts/day since its inception. It is a more active forum than many long standing RL ones!
Can't argue with that. As I said in my initial post, it really doesn't matter to me. I can elect to participate in that forum or skip it.

Now, let's get a track photography forum going!

Quick Reply: Watches? Fire@rms?