Notices

Very Off Topic (UK guy thinking of buying house in Florida)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:06 PM
RobMcConnell
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Off Topic (UK guy thinking of buying house in Florida)

Hi All

I have always found this forum to be an impartial guide to life in general. Now I need some more of that impartiality.

Thinking of buying somewhere on the gulf side of Florida, a holiday home now that we have started a family.

I wanted to get your thoughts on location really, we are heading over later this year for a holiday and I will take a look around while there. My loves are waterskiing and of course Porsches if that helps. My wifes loves are shopping and beaches, my son, too early to tell but I am hoping Porsche will influence him from an early age.

Thought on the costs involved i.e. lawyers, agents fees, taxes.

Thanks
Rob
91 964 Cab
66 912 Coupe
Jersey, UK
Old 04-21-2008, 03:38 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Now is the time to buy, although a good house right on the water is still going to be pricey.

One consideration you need to think about in Florida though is proximity to the water. Make sure you have an idea of just where in the flood plain you really are. Hurricanes are a threat anywhere in Florida, so when you buy, just make sure you buy something that will stand up to one and is not somewhere that floods out too easily. You need to know how much wind the windows and roof are rated for. The newer construction is all probably pretty good, but if you buy an older house or condo it may not be up to the newer standards.

Even in a condo you have to be careful. My parents were in a condo on the Atlantic side that never had a problem in 15 years. While they had storm shutters that saved their glass, the neighbors above did not and when their windows blew out, it flooded everyone below, plus they lost the roof. They were out of the condo for almost a year because of that.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:59 PM
No_Substitute
Pro

Before taking this idea too far, come visit the REAL Florida. Once you get 1/4 mile away from the coast or Disney, Florida is nothing at all like the images in the tourist brochures and commercials. hahaha

Edit: Oh, and make sure you visit during the summer to fully experience the heat and humidity we have from May - December.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:21 AM
RobMcConnell
Advanced

Hi Guys

I must admit, the hurricane threat/flooding never even crossed my mind. I appreciate all the input so keep it coming.

Thanks
Rob
Old 04-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by RobMcConnell
Hi Guys

I must admit, the hurricane threat/flooding never even crossed my mind. I appreciate all the input so keep it coming.

Thanks
Rob
Rob do think about it VERY carefully. Whilst Florida is a great place there is a growing trend for folk to move out of the state. So do your research and take No_Substitute's advice, visit it and see the REAL Florida... it's an eye opener.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:03 PM
BobZ
Advanced

I agree with an earlier post - get a little bit inland and you might not know you were in Florida (until the hot & humid weather starts).

But I live in Palm Coast FL (by Marineland) and love it. I was in the Navy in met my wife there, moved to the DC area for 15 years, and moved here 3 years ago. I am biased but this is the best place - nice weather, least number of hurricanes over history, etc. But I live 500 yards off the beach (100 yards from the river - on a barrier island) so we get the sea breezes, which keep it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. We walk to the beach each day (and swim when it is warm enough) and my in-laws live on the river 8 miles away for boating, fishing, etc.

Prices are real low now and there are even canal lots/homes for under $300k about 10 miles from us. Granted we are basically between Jacksonville and Daytona so it is not a shoppers paradise!

Good luck and if you need any help feel free to ask.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Rob McConnell
Racer

Hi Bob

Sounds idyllic and exactly the type of insight I was looking for. I am being very careful and doing my research, it’s a big decision and I want to make sure I get it right.

I will have a look on the net at your area; it does sound exactly the type of environment we are looking for.

Thanks and if I have any other questions I will drop you a line.

Thanks
Rob
Jersey, UK
Old 04-28-2008, 10:02 AM
BobZ
Advanced

If you can your hands on a copy of the St. Augustine Record they have a big real estate section on Saturday. The other day there were 3/2 canal homes in Palm Coast for the low 200s. But a few miles from one area to the next can mean big jumps in prices - a few lots on my street are in the 200s.

My Uncle is moving down here from NY - he has traveled to every area in FL over the years and likes the one I am in the best, all things considered. But as far as crystal clear water goes, nothing beats the Keys albeit you pay for life in paradise!

My suggestion though would be to get with a realtor in areas you are considering and let them do the leg work since it costs you nothing. However, if you need any help feel free to ask. By the way, realtor.com allows you to search by zip code (Palm Coast is 32137 and my area is area 4 (beachside).
Old 05-03-2008, 08:08 AM
tarmac944
6th Gear

You may also want to check out areas in the panhandle of FL. For example, Destin over to Pensacola has great looking sugar white beaches and green-blue water. Shoppping is abundant, but it's not as commercialized and is more low key than other parts of FL. As BobZ said you can't beat the Keys for water clarity, but parts of the panhandle are nice.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by tarmac944
You may also want to check out areas in the panhandle of FL. For example, Destin over to Pensacola has great looking sugar white beaches and green-blue water.
+1
Also some terrific "arty" communities around there.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:38 PM
RobMcConnell
Advanced

Hi All

I will take a look at the panhandle area (not sure where that is so will do a search).

I have had a couple of recommendations for Fort Myers Beach, from my initial findings it seems to meet the requirements, any views from you guys. Starting to look at airport links from UK.

Keep em coming guys.

Thanks
Rob
Jersey (UK)
Old 05-06-2008, 10:58 AM
BobZ
Advanced

There are pros & cons to all areas of Florida - the panhandle (northwest) area of FL is nice but more prone to storms and the cold fronts hit that area last before the fizzle out (most of the time). Worth checking out though but I am still partial to the ocean (vice gulf of mexico).

Orlando seems the best airport to fly into - centrally located in the state.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:41 PM
CB Red 964
Advanced

Been in South Florida most my life - Mostly Fort Lauderdale area.

Fort Myers is a good choice. Coming from the UK you might find Fort Lauderdale an easier airport to come in with a 1.5 hour drive across the old Alligator Alley. Might save you the hassle of an airport connection.

They say real estate is starting to bottom out while others think we are still 9-12 months from a true bottom. But similar to the stock market it is hard to time a purchase at the absolute bottom. Deals are getting better by the day.

If you can find someone to help you research foreclosures you can get even better deals. Unfortunately there are a lot of foreclosures coming into the market due to ... that's a long story. Not sure how you can get into foreclosure auctions from outside the country.

Make sure you research the cost of insurance. In Florida you need three insurance policies; flood (usually less than $500 per year and the lowest cost of the three), home owners (theft, fire, personal injury.....) and wind storm (hurricane). All three can add up pretty quickly.

Make sure you understand the annual property tax. This one catchs people by surprise. Figure $24 for each $1,000 in property value per year. DO NOT look at the prior owners taxes since he might be "homesteaded". You will pay taxes based on your purchase price and whatever they think your house is worth as the years go on. As a vacation home owner you cannot lock in your homes value for tax purposes. I think this is pretty consistent across the state but not absolutely sure - people from other parts of the state could chime in with other tax rates if it differs.

Back to areas - Fort Myers is a popular area and still a nice place to stay. Some people think of the West Coast as more retirement and older people but that can't be applied to every neighborhood.

I like S Florida (Fort Lauderdale) but it is not for everyone. I am more partial to the Ocean - warmer water, Bahamas boating, fishing. It is pricey close to the Ocean and it is too busy/fast paced/city like for some. If you want a little land with your house you need to go out west closer to the Everglades.

Pan Handle is nice - many areas are more layed back and more room to spread out (land wise). Look on a map and you will see that it is closer to Alabama and Georgia. I think Florida founders wanted to rob those states of any ocean or gulf frontage property.

If you want to stay inland there are loads of deals in the Orlando vacinity.

You may want to look at Central East coast Port St. Lucie, Palm coast, Vero Beach, St. Augestine. Many of those locations give you the Atlantic beaches but a slower pace than S. Florida. Better value for home/land size. Orlando would be the Airport coming in from the UK.

If you are interested in track time with a Porsche you can get a lot at Homestead (2 hour drive from Fort Myers) or Sebring (a MUST DO for track enthusiasts).

Feel free to PM for more dialog if I can help in any other way.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:25 PM
robert944h
Racer

I live in Pensacola. Great place to live, and right now beach property is cheap!!!
There is also a great independent Porsche shop there.

Quick Reply: Very Off Topic (UK guy thinking of buying house in Florida)