Notices

Mid-West Porsche Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Eric91Z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid-West Porsche Dealers

I am just looking for a little input in regards to good Porsche dealers in the Mid-West. Specifically, anything relatively close to Iowa. We have a "Porsche Dealership" here, but it really more of a Pontiac/Mazda/GMC Dealership that happens to sell Porsches.

Anyway, I am slowly starting the search for my first Porsche. I am planning on something used, so some place that sells used Porsches would be great. The car will be my weekend "getaway from work" type car, but also something I can drive to work if I feel like it. And be comfortable inside in work attire (A/C, leather, etc).

I am a performance kind of person, but I think I want this car to be something as reliable as possible and enjoyable to just get out and drive in. And, something I never thought I would think about, but I think I want a convertible. Something that any time the weather is nice I can drop the top on and just get out and enjoy the weather, wind, and sun. And, when my daughter is old enough, she can join me in the passenger seat.

My first inclination is something like a 986 Boxster S. But I have never driven one (or any Porsche for that matter). One of those childhood dreams that I hope to fullfill soon. Kind of like that first Porsche 997 Carrera commercial that came out with the kid in school that then goes to the dealership. That is me - and now it is 25+ years later.

So, any input on dealerships or places I can look at to go check some Porsches out? I am thinking I will just take a nice weekend road trip this spring or early summer with the intent on heading somewhere I can test drive some different Porsche models.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:20 PM
968rz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start by looking for dealers in the nearest bigt town (phonebook or internet) then take a ride there and drive a few cars. The local place you mention sounds like Porsche is an after thought; How much can they really know about the cars.
Next locate your local PCA chapter and start talking to them folks, they can not only teach you about cars you may be interested in, but may let you test drive their cars (maybe!) and are sure to know what dealer is what.
Then like a lot of people here will say, "buy the best car you can afford"; this will save you $$$ in repairs to get the used car the way you want it.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Eric91Z
Advanced

Originally Posted by 968rz
I would start by looking for dealers in the nearest bigt town (phonebook or internet) then take a ride there and drive a few cars. The local place you mention sounds like Porsche is an after thought; How much can they really know about the cars.
Next locate your local PCA chapter and start talking to them folks, they can not only teach you about cars you may be interested in, but may let you test drive their cars (maybe!) and are sure to know what dealer is what.
Then like a lot of people here will say, "buy the best car you can afford"; this will save you $$$ in repairs to get the used car the way you want it.
Thanks for the input and thoughts. I have found my local region:

http://www.schonesland.org/Schonesla...e/Welcome.aspx

Not much on their Event calendar, but I have sent an email to their Membership contact and will go from there from that side.

Definitely looking for input from Rennlist Members in the Mid-West that might be able to provide person input in regards to dealerships they have worked with or that at least have inventory to check out.

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Jim (CIA PCA region)
Intermediate

Eric,

A few suggestions, one in Iowa. Mark Pilon at Lujack's in Davenport, (563) 386-1511. They are a smaller dealer as far as on hand inventory, maybe smaller than Ramsey in Des Moines. I don't know anything about Ramsey, other than they're in Des Moines.

I bought my car from Jerry Zimmermann (gzimmermann@concoursmotors.com) at Concours in Milwaukee, (414) 290-1400. I highly recommend Jerry and Concours, including their service dept.

Depending on your location in the state, you may be closest to Carousel in Minneapolis or the Omaha dealer. Carousel is a "premier" dealer, the largest type of Porsche dealer, and had quite a few cars on hand the last time I was there. Our PCA region (Central Iowa) also has had good support from the Omaha dealer, too. I don't have any sales POCs at either, though.

HTH.

Jim
Old 04-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Eric91Z
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim (CIA PCA region)
Eric,

A few suggestions, one in Iowa. Mark Pilon at Lujack's in Davenport, (563) 386-1511. They are a smaller dealer as far as on hand inventory, maybe smaller than Ramsey in Des Moines. I don't know anything about Ramsey, other than they're in Des Moines.

I bought my car from Jerry Zimmermann (gzimmermann@concoursmotors.com) at Concours in Milwaukee, (414) 290-1400. I highly recommend Jerry and Concours, including their service dept.

Depending on your location in the state, you may be closest to Carousel in Minneapolis or the Omaha dealer. Carousel is a "premier" dealer, the largest type of Porsche dealer, and had quite a few cars on hand the last time I was there. Our PCA region (Central Iowa) also has had good support from the Omaha dealer, too. I don't have any sales POCs at either, though.

HTH.

Jim

Jim,

Thank you. That is very helpful. I have checked the websites of those dealerships and a couple of them seem to have a decent used inventory. Will give me something to think about and plan a little road trip.

I appreciate the input.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:29 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

+1 on Carousel--very supportive of the Nord Stern region and its wide variety of events (they staged a "Forty Fast Years" event for the anniversary...actually managed to get one 911 from every year, 1964 to 2004, in their lot at one time). Maplewood Imports in the Twin Cities also does a lot of work with Nord Stern.

Woodhouse in Omaha is a newer dealership, but I've also hears good things about them and the Great Plains region.

Valley Imports here in Fargo have a web presence and might also be worth checking out.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Jim (CIA PCA region)
Intermediate

Eric, I'm glad I helped. If you head to Wisconsin, I recommend using 151 through Dubuque to Madison then 90 to Milwaukee. SW Wisconsin has the best roads in the Midwest, IMO. The other adjacent corners are fine, too, IA, MN, and IL, listed in order of size.

You're welcome at any of our CIR events. The most interesting one this spring is a drive to St. Donatus, site of a fantastic car show (assuming it doesn't rain). There will be everything from muscle cars to Ferrari and Porsche.

Jim
Old 04-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric, not sure where you are in Iowa, or what vintage Porsche you're looking for, but you might check Isringhausen in Springfield, IL. Their used car inventory will primarily be newer cars, but that varies.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Eric91Z
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dave Thomas
Eric, not sure where you are in Iowa, or what vintage Porsche you're looking for, but you might check Isringhausen in Springfield, IL. Their used car inventory will primarily be newer cars, but that varies.
I am right around the Des Moines area. So about 3 hours from either Kansas City or Minneapolis or about 2 hours from Omaha.

As many have said, try to buy the newest and best you can afford. I am thinking 986 Boxster S, but have also considered the following:

1) 928 S4 or GT
2) 951
3) '87-'89 Carrera 3.2
4) 993 C4S

So my tastes vary and depends on what I want. I do hope or plan on this first Porsche being just that - the first of many. But I want a chance to actually drive a few to see what works best for me.

Quick Reply: Mid-West Porsche Dealers