Notices

HELP STOLEN 964 - ATLANTA, GA

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 04:13 PM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Update - Received call from auto auction. They had a key made and car started right up today. Said car sounds and runs very good. Blowing some smoke, then again it has been sitting idle for the last 16 months.

There were a few comical comments during the phone conversation such as they spent a long time trying to figure out how to open the deck lid and eventually decided to look in the owners manual. They didn't realize that the release was inside the drivers door.

Also had a hard time relasing the hood. Apparently the hood release cable broke, or something, and they didn't realize that there is an emergency release in the wheel well.

Oh well, they probalby kept trying to stick the key in on the right side of the steering wheel too.

Hope it goes to a good home. Happy bidding starts, and ends, this Thursday, April 2nd. www.iaai.com
Old 03-31-2009, 05:00 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That is one amazing story. Were you able to verify that the ***** SOB thieves in-fact only put 4 miles on it?? I'm sure you have gone through every possible scenario and question in your head a million times. I can't help but think that with it being in such close proximity to your house tht you didn't 'stumble' across it over the past year. I guess once you realize it could be ANYWHERE, it hard to keep hope alive. I would have a really hard time not buying it back if I were you considering the bargain that it could potentially be..... I could not imagine watching it drive away, I would be incensed beyond recognition..... You're a better man than me because I would have just gone ape-**** on the next person I saw.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:13 PM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Never found the joyriders who took the car, and unfortunately did not see their faces as they drove away. Three weeks after it was stolen, the police sent me a letter saying they gave up on the case and that I should contact them if I had any leads - WTF! I thought that is what I paid taxes for!

I actually spent time driving to various parking lots, parks, etc. looking to see if the car had been dropped someplace but no success. I even drove by the apartment complex where it was sitting, but it was gated and I never went inside or stopped by to ask. After a few weeks, and the letter from the police, essentially deflated all my thoughts of getting it back, so I deceided then to move on and found my replacement (another 964).

Anyway, I do not wish this on anyone and hope that I don't have to deal with this ever again.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:26 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

I think that is pretty ****-poor from you local PD that they couldn't find a car that was right under their noses. I would not let them forget about that easily.... Slackers!!

You know if I stole a pack of gum I'd get proscuted to the full extent of the law and these SOBs get off scot free...... there is no justice. Insert Charles Bronson here.......
Old 04-07-2009, 11:55 AM
MSHii
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any word on where the car wound up going after the auction?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:31 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by butzip
I think that is pretty ****-poor from you local PD that they couldn't find a car that was right under their noses. I would not let them forget about that easily.... Slackers!!

I assume that you have never had an occasion to communicate with a GA law enforcement officer?

I have found that it is not a good idea to start an argument with them. They have this State-wide computer system, and you really don't want to get on their "pain in the butt" list.

I prefer to be their friend. I see them all of the time at the local shooting range. The new gun of choice for the local officer is a .45 S&W. It will hold 8 rounds, and they can usually put all eight within 6 inches of the target.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:38 AM
lmazzoli
Instructor

The car sold last Thursday, but I do not know who bought it or how much it sold for. I have been tempted to contact the auciton to find out, but it is time to let it go, for the second time. However, I will be checking Craigslist, ebay, and other used car sites in the coming weeks to see if it hits the web for sale in the Atlanta area. You never know. At least I can provide seomoen with 8 good years of detailed records if they wnat them.

As for law enforcement, I have not contacted them to tell then the story. I really do not think that it is worth my time or their time. I think I found their opinion on the matter three weeks after it was stolen and the file letter they sent. I know several officers and they know how I feel. At this point I see it as worthless to continue with them on this topic.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

What county are you in? I'm up in Duluth which is virtual police state when in comes to speeding etc- not sure if the have the time to attend to other non-moving violations or criminal acts.

Do you think it was an inside job or just random checking of garages in your neighborhood- anyone else report any entry (and 964s missing)?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:17 PM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Orignally, I and others thought it was a targeted theft. But after finding out that the car was only driven 3-4 miles along Roanald Reagan Parkway and dropped at an apartment complex, I think that it was a pure joy ride. When foudn the car had been sitting unlocked and still had my personal items sitting on the passenger seat (mag lite, garage door opener, etc.)

Other people in the neighborhood have had cars broken into with things like credit cards, GPS units, and cd's stolen, but this was the only car actually taken. There have been kids found before breaking into cars and garages and stealing things like beer, golf clubs, and other items small items, but never an entire car. Considering that it was taken during Christmas break from school, I am guessing that it was just another group of high school kids with nothign better to do. The sad part is that the police never noticed or found the car. Apparently there are about 100 cars/day stolen in Gwinnett county.

The car sold last week at the insurance auto auction in Winder for $10k. What a STEAL! I do not know who purchased the car, but it is a good deal. If any one does know who bought the car, let them know I have lots of records that I can pass along.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:53 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VintageRacer

I assume that you have never had an occasion to communicate with a GA law enforcement officer?

I have found that it is not a good idea to start an argument with them. They have this State-wide computer system, and you really don't want to get on their "pain in the butt" list.

I prefer to be their friend. I see them all of the time at the local shooting range. The new gun of choice for the local officer is a .45 S&W. It will hold 8 rounds, and they can usually put all eight within 6 inches of the target.
Unfortunately, yes I have and I would hope they would only use their sidearm in a life threating situation, not when somebody has a legit complaint.... At this point, a year past the incident, there is no point..... I really admire IMazz for his attitude towards the whole thing, his perspective is of course far different than mine. Moving on is the only thing to do and time will heal the feelings of victimization. It just sucks that people, even trouble making teenagers, ever think that f-ing with other peoples property is a good idea. Karma anyone? These delinquents will most likely never own something as precious and the only thing that will be stolen from them will be their innocence in the big house someday........
Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 654 Likes on 332 Posts

wow, i wish I had seen this thread earlier. As a licensed dealer, I would have jumped on that car immediately. heck, the upgrade parts are worth more than it probably went for.

IAAI is an insurance auction, pretty much all cars they deal with have branded "salvage" titles, depending on the state. In NC, any title that comes from and insurance company (theft recov, damage, total loss, etc) gets a salvage title.

But on a car like this, it would be well worth it. Normal dealers do not normally go to IAAI auctions, it's usually the local fix/repair/sell-cheap-and-don't-ask-quesitons dealer or parts houses (DC Auto, Oklahoma Foreign, etc) Someone probably got a real deal and just tripped over it.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 05-01-2009, 12:00 AM
lmazzoli
Instructor

This car is back up for auction. It sold at the auto insurance auction in early April for $10k outside of Atlanta, now it is up on e-bay from South Florida through a company called Aventura Cars.

Check out the posting. E-bay #160331802888

I still have all records if anyone wins this auction. This is like a bad dream that does not end for me! Someone please give it a good home, it deserves it!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone interested I asked the seller what his reserve was set at. Here is his response.

"If you read the description, it does have a clean title but with a theft history. The car was not involved in an accident. My reserve is $16500.

- aventuracars"
Owner claims it has a "clean" title. The carfax does however show issuance of a "Total Loss" & "salvage" title, I don't know if he has somehow worked some magic to get a clear title.
Either way it's no secret here that the car was a theft recovery, and quite nice as well.

Hopefully someone here will give her a good home. Current bid is at 14K. She may make reserve & sell

Nick
Old 05-05-2009, 07:51 AM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Interesting -

This was my car, and I know how it was maintained, but I must agree that a car with 103k miles, salvage title, and no records, doesn't seem like the best of deals over the internet for $16,500.

I saw the car at the auto auction and the current owner had to do very little to get it looking good, even in the engine compartment. He did have the transportation to Miami from Atlanta, but if he gets the 16,500, it sounds like this flip will work out well for him.

Quick Reply: HELP STOLEN 964 - ATLANTA, GA