Notices

HELP STOLEN 964 - ATLANTA, GA

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:03 AM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

FRporscheman - I went to see the car after they called. Insurance told me to visit and get my personal items out of the car. So I gathered up my driving shoes, garage door opener, mag-lite, and a few other things. Another sad note is that the car was unlocked and my registration was in the glove box. You would think that the apartment complex would have at least checked to find the owner before having it towed.

You are right, at least this does bring some closure. I just hope someone gets the car who will take care of it. I remember seeing your theft posting about the same time as mine. Not having the closure is miserable.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by lmazzoli
Opportunity - Car will be sold at auction just outside of Atlanta - Car can be seen at www.iaai.com. Search for 1993 Porsche 911. The auction house is still working on paperwork, and the car is not up for auction yet (3/1/09), but should go up soon. However, it is available to see on-line on the IAAI website.
I found the car but couldn't see a good picture since I am not registered. What is it worth?

If you scan the VIN, it says that it is a convertible, but I see from your pictures that it is a Targa. It has over 100,000 miles?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:15 AM
lmazzoli
Instructor

The car is a Targa, not a cab. The odometer reading on the IAAI website indicates 102,388, which is accurate. I have a few photos I took while recovering my personal things, and overall, the car is still in very good shape. The black car with black interior sitting out in the Atlanta climate for a year with out being washed have the finish very dirty.

The car has a few upgrades - PSS9 suspenion, Cobra Imola S racing seats, harnesses, 17" wheels, everythign else is essentially stock. The settlement was well north of $25k. I spoke to the people at the auction, and they said it depends on the day and who is there on how much it will sell for. He even indicated that you can get better deals if it is raining the day of the auction, because less people will turn out. I really have no idea how much it will sell for, but considering the market, and where it is sitting, it may be between 5-10k. If you are interested, drop me a PM and I can send you the records I have for review.

Last edited by lmazzoli; 01-26-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Motobob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is one of the stranger theft stories I have heard, given the fact that it sat unlocked for over a year in a high traffic apartment complex and was never vandalized. Anytime you are victimized, it hurts...I know how you felt as it drove away. A lesson for me if it ever happens is to seach a 5 mile area around the house to see if it was a joyride...who would have thought; rather bizarre. Glad you were able to move on and this new info may allow someone to "bring her back". Bob // Colorado
Old 03-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder if this is an auction house that lets you at least start it and listen to it before you bid? I've been to places where they actually let you drive it around the block - but there is an insurance auction place down the street from where I work, and the answer on that from them is a big fat "no".
The phrase "drive it like you stole it" comes to mind...
Old 03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
lmazzoli
Instructor

The key was the only thing not left in the car. However, I could probably go back to the apartment complex that it was sitting in and find the key thrown in the grass someplace. The insurance company and auction house asked me for a spare key. I know I have one someplace in my house, I have just not taken the time to search for it.

The auction house wanted the key ot start it. They said that it could bring a lot more $ if it started and had a key. The glove box still had the original key card with numbers to get a key made, so I pointed them in that direction. Considering that it was only driven 3-4 miles and dropped, my guess is that it will start right up, with a jump of course.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with them, starting it and being able to drive it in so people could hear it run would be a huge factor. I could do a lot of damage to an engine in 5 miles if I wanted to.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
I could do a lot of damage to an engine in 5 miles if I wanted to.
I've DONE a lot of damage to an engine in 5 miles...
Old 03-05-2009, 02:48 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It would be some story if I could convince my dad to get this as his long awaited replacement. But I doubt he would fly all the way out to Atlanta. Someone will get a great deal on that car.

I don't leave things like key codes or even owner's manuals in the glove box. I don't want thieves to have those important things if they were to steal the car. F them, if they steal the car, they'll have to struggle for keys, junk the stereo without the code, engine will be worth less without maintenance records, etc. I know, a small consolation, but a consolation nonetheless.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:36 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Just found the thread this morning. Did the car get sold this week? I cant find it on the current action list.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:23 AM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Mark - the car has not sold and the auction date has not been set yet. If you go to www.iaai.com, search on the left side of the screen for automobiles, porsche, 911, and put in a year range to include 1993, it will appear and provide auction status. I check the site everyday myself.

Last time I was at the auction house a few weeks back, the people told me that it could take up to a month after they received the paperwork from the insurance company (i.e. title, and transfer documents). Additionally, I think they are going to try and get a key made because they think they can get more money for the car if they can start it and have it running.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:29 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Silly me I was putting in the wrong search criteria. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 PM
ettsn
Pro

I have friends with auction credentials and dealers licenses. If you want her back, I can put you in touch with one of them. They'd prolly do it for a minimal fee over the auction price for their time and trouble. Let me know...
Old 03-11-2009, 10:06 PM
lmazzoli
Instructor

ettsn - Thanks for the offer. I actually purchased a replacement a few months after I received my settlement (another 964). I am really not in the market for another, however, I think this will be a good buy for someone. I have had a few people from the Atlanta area inquire for details, and a few people from out of state have also contacted me for more details.

I have placed this update out there hoping that some other Porsche fan gets this car and that it does not end up in the hands of some chessy corner used car lot.

As soon as an auction date is set I will be posting it as well. I am sure there are others who would be interested in your offer. You may be gettign PM's soon.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:57 PM
bbourdon
Burning Brakes

I'd buy that for $5-10k no problem.

Quick Reply: HELP STOLEN 964 - ATLANTA, GA