Notices

Tight fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:26 PM
EX1K
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tight fit

I hope to buy a Porsche so that I can take full advantage of the training and track access that comes with joining the local Porsche club. I am only 6'1" (185cm) but I have the torso of someone much taller. For example, I barely fit in our Volvo V70R which has sport seats and I had to order my Subaru GT wagon in base trim so that I could fit. I don't know of a Japense car with a sunroof that I fit in comfortably. I also prefer a rather upright driving position (what I happen to think to be the correct driving posture but what do I know?). I need advice in the following areas;

1) where do I find a low profile helmet? ie flat on top compared to the standard bubble style. I live in Ottawa. I'm willing to drive to Toronto or Montreal in need be to try them on for fit. I need a helmet so I can start trying cars on for size.

2) is there such a thing as a 996C2 or C2S without a sunroof that is not a GT2 or GT3? ie, did anyone ever order a 996 with the sunroof deleted or what that even a delete option? I'm pretty sure I would fit in a 996 GT3 with a helmet but I think that is way too much car for a totally inexperienced typically overconfident male such as myself.

3) can I easily, cheaply, and most importantly safely modify a sunroof equipped 996 to gain approximately 2" of headroom?

4) if the above ideas fail to get me into a 996, can anyone recommend a reputable car broker to find a used Cayman S from the US for me? It irks me what Canadian dealers charge for a new Cayman vs. US dealers.

Any constructive advice is most appreciated.

Thanks! Merci!

Chris
Old 03-24-2007, 11:15 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to Rennlist!

You might get better responses to these questions in the model specific forums. I know that the 944/51s with sunroof delete is a rare and desirable option highly sought after by the DE and auto-x crowd.

Good luck!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:23 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Chris,

Regarding low profile helmets, our experience has been (unfortunately) the more expensive the helmet, the lighter weight and more aerodynamic (low profile) it will be. With that said, I would suggest an Arai helmet.

Also, if you decide to get new seats for your ride, Corbeau can shave the base of most of their reclinable seats about 1" so you sit lower. That would help with the seat height issue. I would have to check if they ship to Canada - we have them dropship seats as we don't have room to warehouse all of their different seats (I'm not aware of any dealer that actually stocks all their seats - perhaps a few models only). Corbeau does not offer any "FIA" approved seats for racing, but their reclinable seats are the biggest "bang for the buck" if you are looking for seats that you can use daily and on the weekends for drivers ed or lapping days at the track, check them out. They can also install subslots in the seats to accommodate a 5 or 6 point harness which is an added bonus on a reclinable seat. We have Corbeau seats on our website or their direct URL is ww.corbeau.com.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 03-26-2007, 02:23 AM
P-Car944
Banned

I have seen Sunroof deleted options on Porsche's. They from my experience have been ordered for what you are looking for...a track car on the weekends. Goodluck in your search.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:59 AM
EX1K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
Chris,

Regarding low profile helmets, our experience has been (unfortunately) the more expensive the helmet, the lighter weight and more aerodynamic (low profile) it will be. With that said, I would suggest an Arai helmet.

Also, if you decide to get new seats for your ride, Corbeau can shave the base of most of their reclinable seats about 1" so you sit lower. That would help with the seat height issue. I would have to check if they ship to Canada - we have them dropship seats as we don't have room to warehouse all of their different seats (I'm not aware of any dealer that actually stocks all their seats - perhaps a few models only). Corbeau does not offer any "FIA" approved seats for racing, but their reclinable seats are the biggest "bang for the buck" if you are looking for seats that you can use daily and on the weekends for drivers ed or lapping days at the track, check them out. They can also install subslots in the seats to accommodate a 5 or 6 point harness which is an added bonus on a reclinable seat. We have Corbeau seats on our website or their direct URL is ww.corbeau.com.
Thanks for the helmet tip. I will see if I can find an Arai dealer in Ottawa or Montreal for I can try them on.

Quick Reply: Tight fit