Notices

Porsche Battery Maintainer Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:56 AM
LeeR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Battery Maintainer Question

Question: Can you use the Porsche Battery Maintainer on any modern car?

Background: All battery chargers for sale seem to either have alligator clips for the battery, or wires to connect to the battery with a connector end that mates with a wire to the charger. Doesn't seem that any manufacturers use the cigarette lighter plug like Porsche does, which is far easier than getting to the battery and installing clips every time you want to use it.

Any comments are appreciated, as I want to use the Porsche Battery Maintainer on my Lexus IS 300, but don't want to wreak havoc with the Lexus electrical system, if for some reason they're not compatible. Thanks, Lee.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:10 AM
P-Car944
Banned

I have used the "Porsche" battery charger on my Audi with no problems. Maybe because the Porsche and Audi are related but not sure about the Lexus.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:19 AM
LeeR
Racer

I saw on another board that a guy used a Porsche Battery Maintainer on a Lambo and it worked just fine to recharge a dead battery that had been run down by accidentially leaving a radar detector on. That's what got me thinking.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:23 AM
P-Car944
Banned

did you leave your Radar Detector on?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:54 AM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12 volts is the same in Japanese as it is in German, American, Italian, Korean and English. As long as the cig. lighter circuit is always ON (even with ignition OFF), you can plug in the maintainer adapter and expect the charge current to reach the battery.

Sherwood
Old 03-30-2007, 02:55 AM
LeeR
Racer

Thanks Sherwood. I checked the Lexus cigarette lighter and found that it is not hot when the ignition is off, so I guess the Porsche Battery Maintainer won't work on it, and I'll have to get one with a direct connection to the battery. Drat. Thanks again for your response.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

The latest Porsche branded charger is the Ctek charger with a "Porsche" silk screen on it. So you can use it on any 12v neg. ground system

http://www.ctek.com/us/home.asp

Quick Reply: Porsche Battery Maintainer Question