Notices

Porsche on the Auto Train? Anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 02:57 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche on the Auto Train? Anyone done it?

Thinking of taking the Porsche to Florida this year via the Auto Train (Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL), anyone done it with their Porsche? The car needs 4" of clearance which I think is fine for my stock 964 cab... Not crazy about needing to fix it's smile again tho!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:23 AM
jackwarner
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DON'T DO IT. We brought my wife's 2013 911 S4 up in May and it was fine. Returning from the NJ Shore in October the car was loaded incorrectly and one of the side skirts was torn and paint was damaged. The drivers at Sanford said the loading in VA was incorrect and it was their responsibility. AMTRAK's insurance TPA pointed out correctly that we had signed a waiver for height under 4 inches (which the car is not) and that therefore they are not responsible. West Broward Penske fixed it up and the car is fine; but next year we will ship the car and fly ourselves.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:29 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

DONT DO IT. They scratched side of my wifes minivan some time ago. Bad drivers loading and worse unloading. Pay a legitimate shipper.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:39 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Bumping an old thread since I am thinking about taking the Targa GTS up and back from FL. I will not sign a waiver for having less than 4" of ground clearance - do they measure? And I assume they will not let the owner load the car on the train, right?

Quick Reply: Porsche on the Auto Train? Anyone done it?